Whole or cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

Buying corn bulk, I pay $280/ton ($7/50#). I was paying $175 last year!!!!
Basically, I feed them out for 6 months - fed 2x/day - clean up in 10-15 minutes, with full grass or hay. This is rough estimating, but if they averaged 10#/day for 3 months = 900#
20# for 3 months = 1800#. Total is 2700#/hd. That would be $378 for corn for 6 months. This does not include the protein pellets, grass/hay. But, at most I have $500 feed cost in them and sell them for about $2800. They were worth ? $900/hd after weaning, so that's about $1400 profit for 6 months of labor feeding them. I think that pencils out pretty good in my pocket. Granted, these are VERY loose figures, but I'm pretty sure it's not too far off.
That pencils out very well! Couple of questions if I may. How old or heavy are they when you start and average after 6 months?

I start them at weaning - about 6 months old - varies when we wean based on the weather - generally end of Mar-mid April. All born in Sept/Oct. Generally, all butchered in October at 12/13 months old. They will be avg 550# roughly and will finish out at around 1250#. So, with those figures, they avg about 3.88#/hd/day.

I start them at weaning - about 6 months old - varies when we wean based on the weather - generally end of Mar-mid April. All born in Sept/Oct. Generally, all butchered in October at 12/13 months old. They will be avg 550# roughly and will finish out at around 1250#. So, with those figures, they avg about 3.88#/hd/day.
Thank you, those seem like huge numbers. I believe you have a really good foundation of cattle. Going to try your method and see what mine will do

WSC is the basis of all my feed programs. Our show cattle don't get the fancy prepared bag feed. Yes, it may be better "balanced" for those pushing their show cattle - but, I go with cheapest and least amount possible. Now, that sounds like the wrong approach if you want to win. I win - a lot. Yes, I do add the bag filler additives.
Several people on this board have switched to WSC for their finishing ration.
You won't get those gains or finished weight in that time frame compared to mine because I do have stout growthy calves - all purebred Simmental.

Took a steer to processor. Hanging weight was 738. My scale said it was 1235, or 59.7%, but I think my scale weighs a bit high.

Will hang for 14 days, might opt for 28 day hang ... any advice on that? Sold 1/2, will keep the other 1/2. He was 4 days shy of 18 months, and on feed for 200 days.

Can't wait to taste.

Took a steer to processor. Hanging weight was 738. My scale said it was 1235, or 59.7%, but I think my scale weighs a bit high.

Will hang for 14 days, might opt for 28 day hang ... any advice on that? Sold 1/2, will keep the other 1/2. He was 4 days shy of 18 months, and on feed for 200 days.

Can't wait to taste.

Ask your butcher. It will take a very good fat cover and perfect cooler air flow and humidity control for 28 days.

You will also lose selling weight from moisture loss and more trimming of carcass and cuts.

I would only consider 28 days for my use; never for sale.

WSC is the basis of all my feed programs. Our show cattle don't get the fancy prepared bag feed. Yes, it may be better "balanced" for those pushing their show cattle - but, I go with cheapest and least amount possible. Now, that sounds like the wrong approach if you want to win. I win - a lot. Yes, I do add the bag filler additives.
Several people on this board have switched to WSC for their finishing ration.
You won't get those gains or finished weight in that time frame compared to mine because I do have stout growthy calves - all purebred Simmental.
I am an old newbie... What are your "bag filler additives?"

He has the fat cover. I sold a few to this processor and they (said they) always hung them for 28 days. Sold to their customers which some were restaurants, it is my understanding.

In the past I always hung mine for 14 days, per a beef course we took at Texas A&M. Their science indicated there was not enough increase in taste/tenderness to warrant the time. I was soliciting other's comments; seems 14 days it is. Thanks for the comments.

I am an old newbie... What are your "bag filler additives?"
We add Ultra Fill, Depth Charge and PreCon. They are a palatable pellet that adds bulk. My show string get fed mostly good hay for their fill 24/7, but the pellets are good for them.

Anyone have any opinion on hanging for only 7 days? My 3 steers are 13-14 months old now and didn't get done in October. Sold 2 to customers in RI and we are delivering at Christmas. Butcher put me off til TODAY, so they will only be hung 7 days. What are your thoughts? I normally hang 14 days. They are young and "should" be tender. Hanging doesn't help marbling but it sure helps tenderness.

We add Ultra Fill, Depth Charge and PreCon. They are a palatable pellet that adds bulk. My show string get fed mostly good hay for their fill 24/7, but the pellets are good for them.

Anyone have any opinion on hanging for only 7 days? My 3 steers are 13-14 months old now and didn't get done in October. Sold 2 to customers in RI and we are delivering at Christmas. Butcher put me off til TODAY, so they will only be hung 7 days. What are your thoughts? I normally hang 14 days. They are young and "should" be tender. Hanging doesn't help marbling but it sure helps tenderness.
I would like to see them hang longer, but they say 7 days gets it as tender as it's gonna get. After that it's just flavour that changes. I'm thinking that in todays 'wet aged' world 7 days is about a week more than packing plant beef hangs.

Will the WSC help increase the BCS of a 1st calf heifer? I pulled her calf off at 7 months, but she seems to be struggling to bounce back. They have free choice loose mineral, hay, rye grass, and fresh water.

Will the WSC help increase the BCS of a 1st calf heifer? I pulled her calf off at 7 months, but she seems to be struggling to bounce back. They have free choice loose mineral, hay, rye grass, and fresh water.
Yes, all high energy feeds are high in calories and help increase weight.
First calf heifers are also still growing so they need added nutrition to both grow and recover.

I discussed it with my processor. She was adamant that he had enough fat to hang 28 days. But I opted for only 14. There will be other opportunities. A bit scared I guess.

Processor is out of touch with reality UNLESS it is grass finished. 7 to 14 days works great.
Yes, all high energy feeds are high in calories and help increase weight.
First calf heifers are also still growing so they need added nutrition to both grow and recover.
Has she been dewormed? I would hit her with a good ivermectin product and something like Valbazen (mainly for tapeworms).

I am finishing one for our family. He has been on WSC for about 3 months and is now getting 25lb/per day. Would their be any problem with just making his corn intake free choice at this point? He goes to the processor in about 5 weeks and I want to push him hard at the end.

The reason I ask is that the last two I fininshed were pushed a little too hard and one devleoped acidosis but that was earlier on in the process.

I am finishing one for our family. He has been on WSC for about 3 months and is now getting 25lb/per day. Would their be any problem with just making his corn intake free choice at this point? He goes to the processor in about 5 weeks and I want to push him hard at the end.

The reason I ask is that the last two I fininshed were pushed a little too hard and one devleoped acidosis but that was earlier on in the process.
I can't speak to the amount but when people put them on a big self feeder they eat what they want several times a day and do great. I add baking soda to the feed to help keep the stomach settled.
I also feel that if they eat 5-10 lb each time several times a day it's easier on them than loading up once a day

I have never been in the position to try that, but I agree with what Kenny says. Baking Soda or Bicarb can be fed separate, free choice. They LIKE IT!!!
We have trouble in the spring with BUN (blood urea nitrate - or nitrite?). Grass has so much protein, it changes the PH in the uterus and cows cycle great, but don't settle. Bicarb keeps the PH correct. You can tell when it's happening (too much protein). Every place a cow pees - the grass turns brown. So, your field has little brown circles all over. - like 1-2 feet circles. Grass comes right back, but semen is waaayyy too expensive to be putting in a cow that will not settle.

The cattle that I have finished on shell corn in a self feeder got worked up to 27lbs/day. So I'm your close.
Make sure you have some type of roughage free choice for scratch.