? About Holstein or Jersey beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We sold all of our steers this year. Thinking of buying a couple good quality but less expensive to purchase calves.
What size Holstein, or Jersey, should be bought in the next month or so that would be ready to process a year from now?

4/6 month old Holstein
Or a year old jersey. That's if you're going to pour the grain to them the whole time. Just my experience.

If you're feeding them hard, a Holstein should do around 3 pounds of average daily gain, which would take a 400 lb. calf to finishing weight of 1500 in about a year. A Jersey on the same ration will make about 2 pounds of gain, so you'd need to start with a 500 lb. calf to get to a finished weight of 1200 in a year.

We sold all of our steers this year. Thinking of buying a couple good quality but less expensive to purchase calves.
What size Holstein, or Jersey, should be bought in the next month or so that would be ready to process a year from now?
If your going to put a good finish on them the discount you pay for a Holstein or Jersey will get ate up pretty quick with the high feed prices right now.

I would look hard at a Hereford, Short horn, Char, or red and white Simmental. They would all convert feed better than a dairy str, and not be as expensive as the strs you sold.

If your going to put a good finish on them the discount you pay for a Holstein or Jersey will get ate up pretty quick with the high feed prices right now.

I would look hard at a Hereford, Short horn, Char, or red and white Simmental. They would all convert feed better than a dairy str, and not be as expensive as the strs you sold.
I figured that. Usually we have some Hereford or red neck calves around that get used for beef. They work great. May try to buy somebody else's Herefords, or a white Charolais.
I used to raise quite a few Holsteins but never feed any out. Always sold them at around 500-600 lbs, and they went through a lot of feed getting them that far.

Latest posts