Whole or cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm going to see what price I can get bulk corn like that for. I might get a little discount in a super sack but it's going to be hard to not get quoted deer corn prices.

Here, there is no difference in deer corn and cattle feed. The mills use the same corn it just gets sacked different.

There are some farmers that will sell out their bins but you have to schedule with them, haul it, and it will not be very clean. Have to put a pencil to that.

Holy crap. How old is this eating machine? We have never gotten ours to eat more than maybe 24# a day.
I finally topped him out. I fed him about #35 yesterday and today he had 3-4 left over. Now if he will just keep eating at that rate, I know I am doing the best I can.

Just an fyi Brute, my feed guy says that the "super sacks" are a pia to deal with. If you have a gravity wagon, that is the way to go.
I don't have a wagon. I was looking for the small single axle ones online. Not finding them. The ones I'm seeing are big and expensive. 😄

It has been a few years since I bought either, but used to be 50 cents difference in cracked and whole for 50 lb bags at TSC. Whole was $5 and cracked was $5.50 Today, it is $14.79 for whole, $14.99 for cracked, just 20 cents difference.
Warren I can buy it at local feed store for $.25 per bag difference.

Wow - I googled trying to find the article "Farm and Dairy". I was amazed at all the new research proving WSC is better.

"Feeding whole corn is a viable option for cattle feeders. Dry processing (cracking, rolling) has only small effects on starch digestion. For long-fed calves (greater than 170 days), feeding whole corn may result in better gains and efficiencies than feeding dry processed corn."
"

"

Truth or fallacy: cattle cannot digest whole shelled corn?

Aug 23, 2022 · Due to greater chewing and salivation when fed whole shelled corn, feeding whole shelled corn compared with processed corn may prevent the rumen pH from decreasing to a …"

From the study: "Dry processing (cracking, rolling) has only small effects on starch digestion. For long fed calves (greater than 170 days) feeding whole corn may result in better gains and efficiencies than feeding dry processed corn."

All I know, is hubby was a nutritionist and that is what he always advised. WSC is cheaper and healthier. Calves actually LIKE chunky feed vs fine ground feed. Smart little buggers.
Hi Jeanne, I think I saw on another thread somewhere that you had a timeline of feeding cows for butcher but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm down in FL and finishing my first 2 steers, butcher date is Aug. 24. I've got 4 behind them that I'll be doing next. I feel like I'm blundering my way through this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! Ps. I'm originally from upstate NY, left when I was 22 so been about 15 years now. :)

I have Simmental. Heavy milkers, heavy muscle, and good marbling.
I only feed out 4 to 6 Sept/Oct fall born steers. Wean in April, about 600#. Start creep feeding for about a month of 1/3 whole oats and 2/3 whole corn before weaning, so their system is adjusted to grain.
After weaning, I add a protein pellet so they are getting about a 14% protein ration. About 2 weeks after weaning I start increasing the pounds of feed....slowly... keeping same ratio of corn and oats. By 1st of June they should be getting 3% of their body wt of grain - and I start dropping the oats. After they are 750-800#, I start decreasing the protein pellets til I'm not feeding any protein....just whole shell corn. And good quality grass hay.
They will weigh 1200-1300# by October. HCW avg 750#, grade Choice.
So finished at 12 or 13 months old.

Latest posts