Any guesses on hanging wieght

Help Support CattleToday:

She might be too big for such a trick, but a truck driver that hauled a lot of hogs once told me that they used a 5 gallon pail over their head then back them on. I don't know. Anyone ever tried that?
Heard of it, never tried it. A scoop shovel is about the right width to block their view. You can back or turn them pretty good with a little practice.

Watched a trucker back a butcher hog on a semi with a shocker in its mouth, does that count?

10 years ago I had a pond built that wouldn't hold water. Had heard if you fenced hogs in it they would seal it and stop it from leaking. So I built a fence around it (1/4 acres) bought six 50 lb gilts and put in it. Never rained most of the summer. Gilt's we're about 250 lbs by then. About the right size to butcher and it was just starting to rain a little every now and then to where they could wallow in the mud to seal it off. Didn't want to get rid of them since it had finally started raining making the dirt muddy.

So my daughter was getting old enough to drive wanting to buy her a car. Told here that I would buy the feed to feed the gilts and a bore . Told her if she would feed them until they all had their litter's she could sell the pigs, sows and bore to make money toward buying her car.

In the end the sows had 82 pigs that she sold for 50 $ a peace and seems like she got $400 a peace for the bore and sows. The pond has never went completely dry since but it has gotten pretty low. Not real sure the hogs helped seal the pond off all that much.

But those sows averaged around 480 lbs. we had one butchered our self. It wasn't very good eating because it was way to big for butchering. Might have been better off having it all made into sauce ages. The pork chops and steaks were tuff, full of gristle and lots of fat.
When I was young a 480 lb hog was way too small to kill. Everyone wanted them to weigh 600-800. But the lard was a good part of the reason for that.

I love Surf n Turf.... ask the butcher to package the lobster separate from the filet mignon steaks from your bull. :)
Bull is getting turned into dog food. He got a bad foot he just couldn't get over and figured they'd hammer me at the sale barn so figured dog food was my best bet. I woulda done all hamburger but we had a steer butchered last month. If anyone needs a custom dog food mix PM me, I gotta friend with a start up business.

When I was young a 480 lb hog was way too small to kill. Everyone wanted them to weigh 600-800. But the lard was a good part of the reason for that.
I remember when I was about 7 years old. Several of my family members would get to gather for hog killing day and they would boil water in those old cast iron kettles to pour in a 55 gallon barrel that would be buried sort of like at at 45 degree angle. That way that could dunk the hog in hot water first it's front end and then it's back end. Then they would put the hog on a make shift plywood table and scrap the hair off of it with butcher knifes.

Seems like they would take a lot of the belly fat and other fatty parts, dice them up into square chunks. Then melt in all down in those cast iron pots over a fire. The fat would melt down into a clear grease and the skin would float to the top making pork rhines . My Mother would scoop the the rhines off the top of the grease into a bowl. Then using a ladle dip the grease out into a gallon molasses can to let it cool off into lard.

Those old hogs were huge. We had a meat house where we sugar cured the bacon and hams.

Me personally in this day and time I had rather have them butchered at around 250 to 275 lbs.

I bet this one made a lot of lard and tough a bootleather. (that's my maternal grandfather, circa 1940 and he probably weighed as much as the old boar..
CLGandhog2.jpg

Come a long and rope came into play.
That's the way, when I was a teenager we used to do it too..with a rope.
I've read about lots of people just try to load one trying to coax and shoo 'em along into the trailer with a stick. It rarely worked. They'll run right thru and between several people when cornered up.

50 years ago in the mid 1970s market hog weights averaged 235 lbs and 72% hanging 169 lb carcasses
In 2018 market hogs averaged 284.6 lbs and 73.6% with 209 lb carcasses per National Hog and Pork summary reports
Over the last few decades, pigs per litter, lean growth, feed efficiency and market weights all increased.
American hog producers have done an outstanding job in producing leaner meatier hogs and the proof is being able to maintain
profitability at higher market weights. Tip of my hat to American hog farmers

Last edited:
50 years ago in the mid 1970s market hog weights averaged 230 lbs and 72% hanging 166 lb carcasses
In 2018 market hogs averaged 284.6 lbs and 73.6% with 209 lb carcasses per National Hog and Pork summary reports
Over the last few decades, pigs per litter, lean growth, feed efficiency and market weights all increased.
American hog producers have done an outstanding job in producing leaner hogs and the proof is being able to maintain profitability
at higher market weights.
I would say the leaner product is the reason store bought pork is flavorless compared to homegrown.

I would say the leaner product is the reason store bought pork is flavorless compared to homegrown.
The last hog we got talked into buying was sold to us as "milk fed" and it was extremely fatty and flavorless. Domestic pigs are naturally fat so I'm not sure the leaner pork has less flavor. Just my experience, but that fat hog we got has made me leery of over fat pork.

I'd say that's atleast a 800 maybe close to 900 pound sow. Not been around hogs much but takes a big hog to weigh that and just going off the comparison to the trailer it's big.