Nutritional value of the Hay (weeds) being Rolled

Help Support CattleToday:

Horse people THINK they need better hay.
The nags here eat the same hay as the cows. No problems, after 20+ years.
Have had a few die... at 36, 30, 28 years of age... guess that dusty, moldy cow hay finally got 'em.

Lucky_P":j5hzhdtt said:
Horse people THINK they need better hay.
The nags here eat the same hay as the cows. No problems, after 20+ years.
Have had a few die... at 36, 30, 28 years of age... guess that dusty, moldy cow hay finally got 'em.
Absolutely True...I've seen horses eat baled corn stalks. Satisfying horses is easy. Satisfying horse owners is often impossible.

inyati13":2rcey1jh said:
In the past six weeks, I have observed that due to a dry summer the quality of second cuttings of hay in Robertson County were poor. The past winter must have producers concerned. I am seeing fields of hay (weeds) being cut and rolled that I wonder if the cost per unit of nutrition results in any value. I am seeing crops that look like they are mostly golden rod, rag weed, foxtail, johnson grass, Queen Ann's Lace, briers, and other weeds. Maybe a clump of red clover here and there. These are fallow fields that I have not seen "shredded" or harvested over the last couple years. I am wondering if the expenses of harvest would be better applied to the purchase of mixed feed of the pellet variety to supplement feeding of better quality hay.

This raises an issue that has ruminated on my mind. I see producers driving equipment all over the county to mow poor quality hay. The hay is poor but the expense is near the same. They roll a few rolls of mostly weeds then spend inordinate time and money to get it to their cattle. It leaves me with the impression that they do not understand the concept of costing materials.

Example: These producers are spending fuel, wear and tear on equipment, capital costs of hay equipment - their production is low and quality is poor. I purchased hay that I took samples of that is grass hay of moderate nutritional value for 5x5 roles at $24/role. It seems reasonable to assume they are investing more money in a less nutritional product!
I know what you are getting at but if it was rolled in the right stage i wouldnt mind if it was foxtail and johnson grass. Some of the johnaon grass here is being cut for the 3rd time. It was cut in May also before the Johnson grass started growing,

Latest posts