Nutritional value of the Hay (weeds) being Rolled

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
In the past six weeks, I have observed that due to a dry summer the quality of second cuttings of hay in Robertson County were poor. The past winter must have producers concerned. I am seeing fields of hay (weeds) being cut and rolled that I wonder if the cost per unit of nutrition results in any value. I am seeing crops that look like they are mostly golden rod, rag weed, foxtail, johnson grass, Queen Ann's Lace, briers, and other weeds. Maybe a clump of red clover here and there. These are fallow fields that I have not seen "shredded" or harvested over the last couple years. I am wondering if the expenses of harvest would be better applied to the purchase of mixed feed of the pellet variety to supplement feeding of better quality hay.

This raises an issue that has ruminated on my mind. I see producers driving equipment all over the county to mow poor quality hay. The hay is poor but the expense is near the same. They roll a few rolls of mostly weeds then spend inordinate time and money to get it to their cattle. It leaves me with the impression that they do not understand the concept of costing materials.

Example: These producers are spending fuel, wear and tear on equipment, capital costs of hay equipment - their production is low and quality is poor. I purchased hay that I took samples of that is grass hay of moderate nutritional value for 5x5 roles at $24/role. It seems reasonable to assume they are investing more money in a less nutritional product!

most of them are probably getting all of the hay just to clean up the fields. they will sell it at a bargain to cover cost and make a few bucks. the people buying it are none the wiser and think they have what they need to feed cows. or it could be someone who has a contract with the state or road crews for erosion control hay and it does not matter what the makeup of the bales are. I know a guy that makes 5 buck a square bale selling to the state around here. he bales some pretty rank stuff.

At an auction today I saw some decent fescue clover 5X5 string wrapped bales sell for 18.75 apiece. First (and only) cutting.

2012 drought forced us to buy hay where we could find it. One load that we bought through a local hay broker that we should have been able to trust (SORRY SOB) we got weeds, soda cans, plastic milk jugs, bread wrappers and even a bad-mitten racket rolled up in our $75 4 x 5 round bales. I'm mad again just thinking about it.

Did your county buy a grinder with settlement money? They could be grinding, and then supplementing. It's actually not a bad way to go, especially with the price of grain right now.

Bigfoot":3l84jssr said:
Did your county buy a grinder with settlement money? They could be grinding, and then supplementing. It's actually not a bad way to go, especially with the price of grain right now.

Not a grinder. They have a lime spreader, hay wrapper, seed drill, mobile handling chute, cattle gates, etc.

inyati13":1j4k5qcn said:
Bigfoot":1j4k5qcn said:

Not a grinder. They have a lime spreader, hay wrapper, seed drill, mobile handling chute, cattle gates, etc.
Unfertilized "weeds" have about the same value as unfertilized grass. Big problem with the weeds is "Will they eat it", out of a bale, ground up or any other way.

Got a neighbor that always bales mature queen anns lace along with a little fescue and clover. He raises Gerts and his cows always seem to be in good flesh and eat that crap like candy. He's the same neighbor that took a bunch of spiny pig weed I had baled (30 some odd bales) so he could dump them in some eroded areas. Might have worked if his cows hadn;t thought it was a treat and ate and scattered that stuff all over the place. He now has a pasture full of spiny pig weed.

dun":1eitu5oc said:
Got a neighbor that always bales mature queen anns lace along with a little fescue and clover. He raises Gerts and his cows always seem to be in good flesh and eat that crap like candy. He's the same neighbor that took a bunch of spiny pig weed I had baled (30 some odd bales) so he could dump them in some eroded areas. Might have worked if his cows hadn;t thought it was a treat and ate and scattered that stuff all over the place. He now has a pasture full of spiny pig weed.

Yep! It happens... BTW, we have pigweed...all you want for free! Of course, our Longhorns eat that junk too along with their quality hay. They think pigweed is candy too...LOL!

Trouble with pigweed is same as with fireants...kill one and 100 spring up...

We have pigweed here as well, though not too much in worked fields, more in corrals, etc.

I guess you can feed crappy hay as long as you figure on what net energy it has, and compensate for it with a concentrated form to make up the difference. You see, there is the ticket to putting some of your fat cows on a diet, they can eat their hearts out on it and still lose some weight ;)

kucala5":zzfzz00r said:
2012 drought forced us to buy hay where we could find it. One load that we bought through a local hay broker that we should have been able to trust (SORRY SOB) we got weeds, soda cans, plastic milk jugs, bread wrappers and even a bad-mitten racket rolled up in our $75 4 x 5 round bales. I'm mad again just thinking about it.

:x :x :x wow that's crazy. Were they cutting hay at the county landfill or what!?

Several years ago during one of our droughts a lot of folks were cutting and baling hay off the highway right of ways along side of and between the lanes along interstates especially. Sounds like that may have been where yours came from.

inyati13":3oof3r3n said:
I am wondering if the expenses of harvest would be better applied to the purchase of mixed feed of the pellet variety to supplement feeding of better quality hay.

Have to test, and estimate refusal, to really know. It is only a weed if a cow will not eat it. :nod:

But in general - - you are $ ahead by buying a little better hay.

Do horse people want hay that's better quality than what someone with cattle would want? Reason I ask is I had a couple and an older man ask me for 40 bales this spring for horses. I was honest upfront and told them it had some weeds in it, mixed with fescue and Johnson grass. $20/bale is what I ask for it.

They bought the 40 bales and said they would be back this winter for 40 more, so I rolled an extra 40 bales this year just for them. I text this lady three times now asking when they needed the hay. The first time I got no response, the second time she text back "how much you got" and then never responded again. I'm just wondering if maybe they feel like I took advantage of them or give them junk hay. I'm not a horse person so I don't know anything about their diet. I figured most horse people would want square bales though.

Calhoun Farm":33q6s2on said:
Do horse people want hay that's better quality than what someone with cattle would want? Reason I ask is I had a couple and an older man ask me for 40 bales this spring for horses. I was honest upfront and told them it had some weeds in it, mixed with fescue and Johnson grass. $20/bale is what I ask for it.

They bought the 40 bales and said they would be back this winter for 40 more, so I rolled an extra 40 bales this year just for them. I text this lady three times now asking when they needed the hay. The first time I got no response, the second time she text back "how much you got" and then never responded again. I'm just wondering if maybe they feel like I took advantage of them or give them junk hay. I'm not a horse person so I don't know anything about their diet. I figured most horse people would want square bales though.

The short answer is "yes", horses require a higher quality than do cattle and horse people want even better than that! :D

I won't feed rolls to my horses, even if I rolled it, and it's been inside. I like to inspect each flake before I give it to them. Mold, dead animals, etc. all can pose a serious problem for a horse. Weeds don't bother me, they will eat around them.

Latest posts