No Engine but its a Tool- Gallagher HR3 and TSI

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I recently picked up an older model TSI and and HR3 Tag reader.

I'm starting to doubt if it is possible but anyone use a tag reader with their phone? The HR3 has bluetooth but my iphone x wont see it. I have messaged gallagher but no reply as of yet.

I'd like a reader, but I'm afraid they are going to change up the tags from LF to UHF in the near future. So I guess I'll wait a bit.

Do you need to download an app for the reader to get them to talk to each other?

I'd like a reader, but I'm afraid they are going to change up the tags from LF to UHF in the near future. So I guess I'll wait a bit.

Do you need to download an app for the reader to get them to talk to each other?
I don't think either LF or UHF will be going away. USDA APHIS would like to eliminate the metal tags. I use LF buttons for cows. Tags like to go missing. Some of the feeder calves get UHF tags. All the UHF readers I've seen cost too much. I use $150 LF readers - same kind they use at pet shelters.

Last edited:
Millerlanefarms, wish I could help. Internet has a manual for a "TSi 2", but I didn't find one for a "TSI".

There's an app called "Gallagher Animal Performance" and there are videos on the web.

I don't think either LF or UHF will be going away. USDA APHIS would like to eliminate the metal tags. I use LF buttons for cows. Tags like to go missing. Some of the feeder calves get UHF tags. All the UHF readers I've seen cost too much. I use $150 LF readers - same kind they use at pet shelters.
CCIA at this point only uses LF tags for mandatory animal ID. The rumour is that they are planning to change up to UHF which will entail all new systems in Canada for reading tags.
There does seem to be an advantage to UHF and that is improved read range. If I could read a tag at 5-10 feet it could be a game changer for me.

If I could read a tag at 5-10 feet it could be a game changer for me.
The technology is available if you wanted to use it for herd management. Use UHF tags with 900-numbers. As you said, Canada has not approved UHF so there won't be any 124 official IDs. Make sure the tags and reader comply with the standard ISO18000-6C. The Chainway R2 is a lower priced UHF reader.

The technology is available if you wanted to use it for herd management. Use UHF tags with 900-numbers. As you said, Canada has not approved UHF so there won't be any 124 official IDs. Make sure the tags and reader comply with the standard ISO18000-6C. The Chainway R2 is a lower priced UHF reader.
I know the tech is available, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna put two RFID tags in my cows ears. Could be my Scottish heritage showing through.

Latest posts