New Type of Cattlemen!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting reading.

Social Security and Tax refunds are not handouts. The government has Your money interest free and then gives it back to you. Not a handout.

Government Farm programs should be eliminated. They cause inflated land prices and no opportunity for young people to get started.

It seems to me that everybody wants what they want right now. Rather than spending some time and labor to make it on their own. Gee, I'm 19 and I want to fix up my land, can someone give me a check so I can hire it done? There is a lot that can be done with little or no capital, Its called labor. Burn a Calorie and do some work.

You live somewhere that hurricanes strike and the government pays you to clean up trees lost on your place. (and you admit this?) I live where it gets cold in the winter and they don't pay my heating bills.

This attitude will have America a third world country within this century. Because 5 people will be footing the bill for 95 people.

Seems like you guys are ragging a little heavy on Cypress here! I would say the majority on here either have got equip money or would!

From what little I seen from Cypress I suspect he has a good job that pays pretty good! Business do not fly people making minimum wage off to other countries to handle transactions for them. He most likely pays in a substantial amount of taxes.

I say as long as Uncle Sam is over taxing us, and taking our money to build bridges to nowhere in Alaska, giving money to Muslim Nations that turn around and try to Kill our Families. Then go get all the money you can back in anyway you can.

Uncle Sam demands we pay inflated taxes so these programs can exist. I wish they did not exist! But the sad thing is they do, so it is our job to go get that money before they send it overseas to fight Aids in Africa,

Seems there is two issues here, 1. Should our Tax dollars be spent in such program as the equip program? 2. Should a owner of a farm get such money if it is already there? They are two separate issues, they are not the same.

On 1. I vote no give me a tax break and do away with all equip programs!

On 2. I vote yes as long as they are going to tax us so they can offer these programs then go get all the money you can! And pray one day they will quit taxing us for such programs.

Welfare is getting money to raise 5 kids with no job. Cost sharing is a way for hard working people to get some of those inflated tax dollars back, and put them to work helping the Ag industry.

I've been reading this post with interest, and was in general agreement with Cypress, until the post about using Katrina money to buy cattle. I think the EQIP program should be more geared towards helping beginning farmers/ranchers, regardless of the size of their operation. I don't like the excuse that if everybody's doing it, so can I. I see nothing wrong with accepting help, if you genuinely need it, because eventually, you'll be on the other side helping someone else to start out. But taking money, and using it for other purposes, to me, is fraudulent, and stealing. It also takes resources from someone who needs it.

aplusmnt":ku0pngn8 said:
Seems like you guys are ragging a little heavy on Cypress here! I would say the majority on here either have got equip money or would!

From what little I seen from Cypress I suspect he has a good job that pays pretty good! Business do not fly people making minimum wage off to other countries to handle transactions for them. He most likely pays in a substantial amount of taxes.

I say as long as Uncle Sam is over taxing us, and taking our money to build bridges to nowhere in Alaska, giving money to Muslim Nations that turn around and try to Kill our Families. Then go get all the money you can back in anyway you can.

Uncle Sam demands we pay inflated taxes so these programs can exist. I wish they did not exist! But the sad thing is they do, so it is our job to go get that money before they send it overseas to fight Aids in Africa,

Seems there is two issues here, 1. Should our Tax dollars be spent in such program as the equip program? 2. Should a owner of a farm get such money if it is already there? They are two separate issues, they are not the same.

On 1. I vote no give me a tax break and do away with all equip programs!

On 2. I vote yes as long as they are going to tax us so they can offer these programs then go get all the money you can! And pray one day they will quit taxing us for such programs.

Welfare is getting money to raise 5 kids with no job. Cost sharing is a way for hard working people to get some of those inflated tax dollars back, and put them to work helping the Ag industry.

Dont try to apply logic to a disscusion like this, it will never work.....

MD

Wheew, this one is a doozy.

I have been very honest and forthright about the govt. programs that I received payments from. Please let me clarify:

Real easy to jump on me, but make sure you understand everything.

My parish was in the "disaster area" declared by the Federal govt. after Katrina. One of the forms of assistance that they offered to farmers was to help pay for disposal/cleanup of downed tress. I applied, had to measure the girth of all of the down trees, and then do the work. Since I had so many down, I called in someone with a bulldozer, and it along with me a several other people spent a couple of weeks worth of work cutting, cleaning, repairing fences etc. After completion, I had to submit copies of cancelled checks proving what I had paid, and show a record of my personal time. After submission of this, the local FSA office several weeks later re-embursed me a little under $3000. This was a program set up specifically to help farmers clean up after the storm. The monies for this were earmarked for this use, and had nothing to do with evacuees.

While on the subject, after Katrina we let a friend from New Orleans use a bedroom that we cleared one of the kids out of. We also let several famalies use camps that we have set up along the lake where we live free for as long as needed (one family was about 6 months). Aplus was right in that I do travel, and know people across the country. I managed to have several customers donate supplies, which I arranged to have shipped in - 2 semi trailers worth (through my job), and I distributed them to relief shelters with the help of some friends and my truck/trailers. I also donated a calf to be butchered to provide a barbeque for the evacuees that were in our local civic center.

Now as for the re-embursement checks that I received, I did use them to invest back into cattle. I see nothing wrong with that. I had already spent the money to clean up the trees, and for cross fencing. This was a re-embursement check. To me the prudent thing to do is to pump it back into the economy.

SRR, like I said, don't judge me. You don't know the slightest thing about me. Look back at all of my posts if you want, I have nothing to hide. I always try to be helpful, when I can, but you sir are taxing my patience.

Hey SRR,

Just for you, here's a pic of the cross fencing that you helped pay for. Thanks! Come by and visit whenever you like.

crossfencing1.jpg

The second was for clean up after I had 30 trees down during Katrina. Could I have survived without that money - yes. What did I do with the money? - Buy more cattle. [/quote]

The way this reads is rather startling.

My mother used to say that some things were better left unsaid. With all due respect, this may have been one of those times.

Alice

Alice":n06pnlca said:
The second was for clean up after I had 30 trees down during Katrina. Could I have survived without that money - yes. What did I do with the money? - Buy more cattle.

My mother used to say that some things were better left unsaid. With all due respect, this may have been one of those times.

Alice[/quote]

Yes Alice,

The way it reads does appear startling. That's why I explained what I meant in detail.

cypressfarms":3vi75dka said:
Hey SRR,

Just for you, here's a pic of the cross fencing that you helped pay for. Thanks! Come by and visit whenever you like.

crossfencing1.jpg

I helped pay for it, too, and am glad I did. I can't do much about the government taking my money, but at least I know some of it is being put to good use.

I've read this entire thread twice now so I wouldn't miss anything. I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with Cypress or anyone else accepting grant money THATS ALREADY THERE to improve their lot in life. Money well spent in my book. And there was certainly nothing wrong with how Cypress spent his reimbursement check. He had already paid for the cleanup work out of his own pocket so the reimbursement money was his do spend as he pleases, similar to a tax refund.

The rest of you high and mighty folks do what you want, but you've got no right to judge and belittle others for doing something they believe is right. My opinion may not be worth much to some of you, but there it is.

cypressfarms":izujx156 said:
Alice":izujx156 said:
The second was for clean up after I had 30 trees down during Katrina. Could I have survived without that money - yes. What did I do with the money? - Buy more cattle.

Alice

Yes Alice,

The way it reads does appear startling. That's why I explained what I meant in detail.

And, I thank you for that.

Alice

If you don't want to be considered a welfare cattleman, why do you hang you laundry out for everybody and get mad when called on it.

Three things will make a man break 7 of the ten commandments a dollar, a land deed and a cat.

You can say I pay my taxes so I deserve to have my cow's or fence paid for the government it is BS its greed of that dollar.
Now Cypress I guess it was OK for my tax dollars to clean up your 20 trees while the ranchers hit by Rita had to dig it out of there backpockets. Hell I would of laughed at 20 trees compared to not a fence standing barns, houses tore up, I guess that is why I carry insurance. My question is did you collect twice from insurance and the government. If it had not been for the ethinic background of those affected around you would have got zip.

Caustic Burno":2djgjp9t said:
If you don't want to be considered a welfare cattleman, why do you hang you laundry out for everybody and get mad when called on it.

Three things will make a man break 7 of the ten commandments a dollar, a land deed and a cat.

You can say I pay my taxes so I deserve to have my cow's or fence paid for the government it is BS its greed of that dollar.
Now Cypress I guess it was OK for my tax dollars to clean up your 20 trees while the ranchers hit by Rita had to dig it out of there backpockets. be nice I would of laughed at 20 trees compared to not a fence standing barns, houses tore up, I guess that is why I carry insurance. My question is did you collect twice from insurance and the government. If it had not been for the ethinic background of those affected around you would have got zip.

You know what Caustic, you are 100% right. If not for the people in New Orleans (who should have evacuated earlier), I probably wouldn't have been able to collect. And, in all fairness, where you are was hit harder by Rita than we were hit by Katrina. I think that east Texas/west La. was hit every bit as hard as people by Katrina. Unfortunately, it wasn't declared a disaster area by the govt. I wish it would have been so that you would have been afforded the same opportunity as me. I can't control that, I don't make the rules.

I have no insurance for this type of loss; not sure if there is such a type of insurance. I only received the monies from the govt. that I listed. And like you, I worked many hard hours to clean up and repair fix, cut trees, etc. The money earmarked for cleanup was only for whole trees that were down. I'm sure you can imagine what a hurricane does to pecan trees in the fall. Almost every tree had large branches down. The cost of cleanup was (If you count my labor & the help from my family and friends) maybe ten times what the govt. contributed.

Caustic...if they want to take money they dont need then just let them be greedy...it's just money...money dont mean a thing when you're dead and cold in the ground or when your ashes are in the box...it'd be nice to leave behind some money for my kids and grandchildren but they can make their own money too...the older I get...the more I start to hate money...I got food, land, a house, a family...that's all some people need...I mean...you can work your whole life to get some money...then be too old to enjoy it...you can't take it with you when you're dead so I dont see why it matters so much...I dont see why everybody gets so upset over money

Have a good day everybody

Cypress,

You are a fine young man, and have handled yourself with great dignity and pride. Your mom and dad should be proud.
Its people like you with class heart and work ethic that give the small farm a chance of surviving the next generation.
Keep it up.

MD

Caustic Burno":1vms80vu said:
Now Cypress I guess it was OK for my tax dollars to clean up your 20 trees .

Yep. It's only your money. You're the only one the works hard and pays taxes to support everybody. We couldn't make it without you. You're the only one that knows how to be a "real" cattleperson.

Caustic Burno":21j2mq0g said:

Now Cypress I guess it was OK for my tax dollars to clean up your 20 trees while the ranchers hit by Rita had to dig it out of there backpockets. be nice I would of laughed at 20 trees compared to not a fence standing barns, houses tore up, I guess that is why I carry insurance. My question is did you collect twice from insurance and the government. If it had not been for the ethinic background of those affected around you would have got zip.

Lousy cheap shot about the "ethnic" background, Mr. Caustic Bruno. Not surprised at it, but it's still freakin' cheap. I could care less whether Mr. Cypress got money from the hurricane, in fact, I don't totally agree with it...but to make that kind of racist remark...wow!

Now, as to the insurance question...no way in hades is any insurance company gonna insure trees in a pasture...surely you know that...don't you? Or do you have access to insurance policies that no one else on earth has.

Alice

Since we are already being taxed for such programs, and there is nothing we can do about that. Below is web page were you can look at were our Tax dollars will be transferred over to if no Farmer ever used the equip programs.

Some of my favorites are:
$1.2 Million to study breeding habits of the woodchuck
$150,000 to study the Hatfield and McCoy feud
$1 Million to study why people do not ride bikes to work
$219,000 to teach college kids how to watch TV
$160,00 to study rather you can hex an opponent by drawing an X on his Chest

http://www.akdart.com/pork.html

http://www.areddy.net/mscott/porkabs.html

S.R.R.":3uj3wyuq said:
I have been catching up on some posts and have learned that there are now three types of cattlemen instead of just the two I knew of!!

#1 Rancher type

#2 Hobbyist type

#3 Welfare type

I will be far more excepting of the hobbyist type now that I have heard of this third kind. :roll:
=======
S.R.R....,

I have some Canadian friends and appreciate them..so this is not an anti Canadian question.

Please tell us about the medical insurance you have and who pays for it?

last year in the feed store we were talking about RFID tags, premisis ID's, etc. an older gentleman said he wasn't going to do that, because all the government had to do was look at their computer and know how many cows he had, and the government didn't need to know how many head he ran. A young lady said to him......but if the government is handing out free range cubes, you'd go pick the man up at his office, bring him a warm carmel roll, and a cup of coffee, drive him to your place and help him count every cow you had just so you could get all the free cubes you could. so true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts