New Type of Cattlemen!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeJoel":1jn24iiu said:
Alan":1jn24iiu said:
For under $500 over a 4 yr period this pasture went from looking like this, the fir trees on the bottom is the fence line, to looking like this. Lots of hard work and a little money. No handouts.
Alan

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Nice work.

No handouts though?
You NEVER got any help from anyone?
Nothing, Zippo?
Never went to the public (FREE... TAX SUPPORTED) library to get a book on something you needed to know?

Yep according to some people using the library is a handout. It is supported by tax dollars. Maybe some wouldn't like to have others being able to read using their taxes.

How about public school? That is a handout. Cost parents nothing but their taxes.

I think people should reflect on all the things they do and realize they get handouts too. Just dont like to think of it that way.

Mike

Mike you're grasping at straws, are you comparing my families help to a tax funded grant? Or the use of a public libary, which I don't use because of the internet, as a tax assisted grant?

What am I missing?
Alan

Last post before Im out of here.

Actually it is the same (exactly). The government puts certain money back for grants, libraries, schools. Whether you use them or not you pay the tax. Whether you use them or not the money is put there.

So it is the same.

Also There goes Caustic and SRR again.
Is this ** Get everyone to hate you day **?

Hey, I haven't taken any grants but if I come across one I'll grab it just for you guys :lol:

Have fun

Mike

S.R.R.":1wai7dv0 said:
How do you take pride in what you have built when half your fence, pond, barn and bull was handed to you?

I find it easy enough. The cost share money I've received through USDA programs all went toward soil conservation.

I am currently surrounded by corn and soybean fields. The producers that grow those crops receive large subsidies in various forms from the FSA. You can't even compare the miniscule amount of money I am receiving to the amount the neighboring farmers I am competing with for land receive from crop subsidies

My pasture and hay ground is all tillable. I have been approached by one of the big crop guys on two occasions to rent my land out for corn and beans. I would certainly get a better return with no cash flow problems if I rented the land out.

But then my farm would be plowed up, despite the "no-till" claims to the contrary, erosion would occur. Last spring after some heavy rains, I watched a neighbor fill in ditches in the bean field with a moldboard plow. I couldn't find any obvious signs of erosion on my farm because it's all in hay and pasture.

Keeping the soil on my farm doesn't just benefit me. It benefits future generations of people who will farm my land. It benefits the entire watershed by keeping runoff out of surrounding trout streams. The pastures I graze provide much better habitat to grassland birds than the surrounding corn and soybean fields.

These things are all public goods that benefit all taxpayers.

Perhaps I should be a good land steward without being paid (even a pittance) for doing so, and in fact I probably would do as many of these things as I could afford without the cost share money.

At the same time I think it's important to attempt to be profitable, and until there is serious subsidy reform in this country, I will continue to take cost share money that helps me compete with commodity farmers while simultaneously creating benefits for the public good.

badaxemoo":13bnkquc said:
S.R.R.":13bnkquc said:
How do you take pride in what you have built when half your fence, pond, barn and bull was handed to you?

I find it easy enough. The cost share money I've received through USDA programs all went toward soil conservation.

I am currently surrounded by corn and soybean fields. The producers that grow those crops receive large subsidies in various forms from the FSA. You can't even compare the miniscule amount of money I am receiving to the amount the neighboring farmers I am competing with for land receive from crop subsidies

My pasture and hay ground is all tillable. I have been approached by one of the big crop guys on two occasions to rent my land out for corn and beans. I would certainly get a better return with no cash flow problems if I rented the land out.

But then my farm would be plowed up, despite the "no-till" claims to the contrary, erosion would occur. Last spring after some heavy rains, I watched a neighbor fill in ditches in the bean field with a moldboard plow. I couldn't find any obvious signs of erosion on my farm because it's all in hay and pasture.

Keeping the soil on my farm doesn't just benefit me. It benefits future generations of people who will farm my land. It benefits the entire watershed by keeping runoff out of surrounding trout streams. The pastures I graze provide much better habitat to grassland birds than the surrounding corn and soybean fields.

These things are all public goods that benefit all taxpayers.

Perhaps I should be a good land steward without being paid (even a pittance) for doing so, and in fact I probably would do as many of these things as I could afford without the cost share money.

At the same time I think it's important to attempt to be profitable, and until there is serious subsidy reform in this country, I will continue to take cost share money that helps me compete with commodity farmers while simultaneously creating benefits for the public good.

So in short because others around you are doing it makes it right? And this is how you help yourself feel good about it. ;-)

MikeJoel":2smxtjst said:

Actually it is the same (exactly). The government puts certain money back for grants, libraries, schools. Whether you use them or not you pay the tax. Whether you use them or not the money is put there.

So it is the same.

Hey, I haven't taken any grants but if I come across one I'll grab it just for you guys :lol:

Have fun

Mike

So as far as you are concerned it is just fine that people pay the kind of high taxes that they do so that the gov. has the money to subsidize cypress and your hobbies. What a couple of real winners! :roll: :roll: That makes me angry and I admit it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

S.R.R.":1iy48jxs said:
So in short because others around you are doing it makes it right? And this is how you help yourself feel good about it. ;-)

No, I don't feel good about it. When I'm mowing the waterway that used to be a three foot deep ditch or watching the young bobolinks fly above my late-cut hay, or look at my green pastures surrounded by brown, bare soil in an aerial photo, I actually feel great about it.

The EQUIP money is letting me do more conservation work on my farm than I could ever afford myself.

You shouldn't denigrate those of us that take conservation money to make improvements that will last far beyond our tenure.

You should be worried about the commodities farmers who take government subsidy money to expand their operations so they can degrade even bigger swaths of the landscape.

redfornow":xfvwy3tn said:
Move to america and become a citizen and vote. :roll:

MD

Beat you to it! :) I was born and raised in the great USA and never have or will miss a vote. ;-) I still call the great state of Texas my home as do most of my kin.

Then why are you working so hard up in Canada?
Havnt you heard about the great cost share programs and Ag grants down in the south?
Come on back and enjoy the fun!!!!

MD

Caustic Burno":gssr5a2i said:
S.R.R.":gssr5a2i said:
cypressfarms":gssr5a2i said:
I am a welfare and hobby farmer ;-) . I don't make a living off of cattle (I have a day job), and I've received cost share benefits from the govt. for cross fencing and other conservationary procedures.
quote]

You are a true model of the new type of cattlemen I am talking about!!! :mad: :mad: You do not need the money from your cattle to live (fine not problem with that) You have a day job and are a hobby farmer (O.K.) but...................

WHAT THE HE!! ARE YOU DOING TAKING TAX PAYERS MONEY TO PAY FOR YOUR DAM HOBBY???? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How do you live with yourself after admiting to that?????????

Cypress looks like old SRR has treed the coon.

No caustic,

I'm no coon, my eyes don't glow orange, and anytime SRR wants to have a shooting competition he's more than welcome to come to LA.

I call myself a hobby farmer because of this board only. I produce calves just like you or any other cattleman, but I do not depend on those calves to pay all of my bills. I am no different that a cattleman who raises 500 head and depends on them for a living other than the fact that my wife and I both have other jobs.

I have received benefits from the govt. twice: the first was for cross fencing/rotational grazing - which benefits the environment as a whole. The second was for clean up after I had 30 trees down during Katrina. Could I have survived without that money - yes. What did I do with the money? - Buy more cattle. So before anyone gets high and mighty look around. The bull I bought in February, the beefmasters I bought from Mississippi three weeks ago were all bought with "tainted" money. I say this tongue in cheek, because I would like someone to show me a citizen who has not received a benefit. Like it or not, our govt. is set up this way. Don't judge me SRR, because you don't know me. I have been courteous to you to this point because that is the polite thing to do. Please return the same. I can get as mean as needed, but prefer not to. ;-)

By the way, I have no problem living with myself, and again, would like to remind you that the day you think you are without sin, I hope your not meeting St. Peter.

cypressfarms":3hpsbbkk said:
Caustic Burno":3hpsbbkk said:
S.R.R.":3hpsbbkk said:
cypressfarms":3hpsbbkk said:
I am a welfare and hobby farmer ;-) . I don't make a living off of cattle (I have a day job), and I've received cost share benefits from the govt. for cross fencing and other conservationary procedures.
quote]

You are a true model of the new type of cattlemen I am talking about!!! :mad: :mad: You do not need the money from your cattle to live (fine not problem with that) You have a day job and are a hobby farmer (O.K.) but...................

WHAT THE HE!! ARE YOU DOING TAKING TAX PAYERS MONEY TO PAY FOR YOUR DAM HOBBY???? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How do you live with yourself after admiting to that?????????

Cypress looks like old SRR has treed the coon.

No caustic,

I'm no coon, my eyes don't glow orange, and anytime SRR wants to have a shooting competition he's more than welcome to come to LA.

I call myself a hobby farmer because of this board only. I produce calves just like you or any other cattleman, but I do not depend on those calves to pay all of my bills. I am no different that a cattleman who raises 500 head and depends on them for a living other than the fact that my wife and I both have other jobs.

I have received benefits from the govt. twice: the first was for cross fencing/rotational grazing - which benefits the environment as a whole. The second was for clean up after I had 30 trees down during Katrina. Could I have survived without that money - yes. What did I do with the money? - Buy more cattle. So before anyone gets high and mighty look around. The bull I bought in February, the beefmasters I bought from Mississippi three weeks ago were all bought with "tainted" money. I say this tongue in cheek, because I would like someone to show me a citizen who has not received a benefit. Like it or not, our govt. is set up this way. Don't judge me SRR, because you don't know me. I have been courteous to you to this point because that is the polite thing to do. Please return the same. I can get as mean as needed, but prefer not to. ;-)

By the way, I have no problem living with myself, and again, would like to remind you that the day you think you are without sin, I hope your not meeting St. Peter.

Dont remember talking about sin the good Lord or St. Peter. I have sinned, do sin, and will sin as have, do and will us all! ;-)

None of this changes the fact that the tax payer should not be paying for peoples hobbies period!!! :mad:

Since we have brought in sin, taxes and handouts.
It really is about choices, whats right for one may not be right for another. Life is rarely as simple as Black and White.
Although some here, pretend like this is the old west and we can just shoot the bad guy. Life is much more complicated than that.
But sometimes thats hard to see when you are sitting on your high horse.

MD

S.R.R.

Since you have lived in both Canada and the US. What are the differences in the way the goverments handle taxs ? I mean is it true that in Canada you pay more taxs than in the US ? And does Canada have more to offer for their people in the way of public services, benifits etc....., verse's the US ?

S.R.R.":1nhhz5m5 said:
None of this changes the fact that the tax payer should not be paying for peoples hobbies period!!! :mad:

O.k. SRR, since the nice way didn't work:

Wake up and read the posts I've made, Mr. mean emoticon! I only call it a hobby because it's a joke that has been posted on this board many times. The calves that I produce go into feedlots just as calves from everyone else around the country. Perhaps your just stuck on the word hobby, I don't know.

I could care less if your mad or not; I tried to explain the programs that I received benefits from - cost sharing of cross fences, and hurricane damage from Katrina. I feel no need to justify to you, or anyone else, the fact that I have received them. FYI, we had a string about the Equip program before. I posted about how I became qualified, and roughly 20 members pm'd me to ask me for more info. I gladly replied to all of them; I am more than happy to help a fellow cattleman out. You, however, see it fit to ride on a very high horse. If you would educate yourself and really study where govt. expenditures go, I do not believe that you would be concerned with the $10,000 I received. Do you know anything of the Equip program, or are you just taking pot shots?

By the way, my "hobby" farm will work 50 head Saturday. You are invited to come over and help, if you like. You can then make your decision whether it is a hobby or not.

I guess the bottom line is that if you don't like the system the govt. has, and don't like me receiving any conservation benefits, then quit whining and do something about it big boy!

S.R.R.":3bjh0fet said:
MikeJoel":3bjh0fet said:

So it is the same.

Have fun

Mike

So as far as you are concerned it is just fine that people pay the kind of high taxes that they do so that the gov. has the money to subsidize cypress and your hobbies. What a couple of real winners! :roll: :roll: That makes me angry and I admit it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mister S.R.R. your hiten the nail on the head but dont go leten any of these here welfar cowboys go given ya a heart attack they aint worth it ;-)

cypressfarms":3w28c1ow said:
S.R.R.":3w28c1ow said:

O.k. SRR, since the nice way didn't work:

Wake up and read the posts I've made, Mr. mean emoticon! I only call it a hobby because it's a joke that has been posted on this board many times. The calves that I produce go into feedlots just as calves from everyone else around the country. Perhaps your just stuck on the word hobby, I don't know.

I could care less if your mad or not; I tried to explain the programs that I received benefits from - cost sharing of cross fences, and hurricane damage from Katrina. I feel no need to justify to you, or anyone else, the fact that I have received them. FYI, we had a string about the Equip program before. I posted about how I became qualified, and roughly 20 members pm'd me to ask me for more info. I gladly replied to all of them; I am more than happy to help a fellow cattleman out. You, however, see it fit to ride on a very high horse. If you would educate yourself and really study where govt. expenditures go, I do not believe that you would be concerned with the $10,000 I received. Do you know anything of the Equip program, or are you just taking pot shots?

By the way, my "hobby" farm will work 50 head Saturday. You are invited to come over and help, if you like. You can then make your decision whether it is a hobby or not.

I guess the bottom line is that if you don't like the system the govt. has, and don't like me receiving any conservation benefits, then quit whining and do something about it big boy!

10 grand of tax payers money just so you can have a hobby :roll: I will admit I am at a loss for words. :help:

Stepper":x9drkjvo said:
S.R.R.

Since you have lived in both Canada and the US. What are the differences in the way the goverments handle taxs ? I mean is it true that in Canada you pay more taxs than in the US ? And does Canada have more to offer for their people in the way of public services, benifits etc....., verse's the US ?

The first big difference is that the US had a thing called the Boston tea party and Canada did not!! Up here in Canada taxes are very high a good bit more then double what my family pays each year in Texas. Healthcare is one of the main reasons that we are told our taxes need to be so high. A bed in your basic shared hospital room is covered along with medical staff to look after you and some meds while you are in hospital. The idea of good free healthcare for all has long since become a thing of the past. Friends of ours have died in their hospital bed waiting for a simple cardiac stint to be put in. A prosedure that is done same day or the day after in the US here in Canada you wait weeks and often die while waiting. (But it is free) :roll: Medication is not free once you are out of the hospital you pay out of your own pocket and it cost far more then in the US. Many of our seniors and chronically ill buy their meds from the US because of this. Of course our gov. does spend large amounts of time and money on gay rights, abortion rights, anti hunting and gun laws. More so in Ontario and the east then out in western Canada were you find that people have a higher moral standerd. There are also many great things about Canada ie. low crime, good water, great land, good people ect. but taxes and social services are just not one of them.

10 grand of tax payers money just so you can have a hobby I will admit I am at a loss for words.

With all due respect, that might not be all bad... ;-)

Alice

Alice":8yr905yr said:
10 grand of tax payers money just so you can have a hobby I will admit I am at a loss for words.

With all due respect, that might not be all bad... ;-)

Alice

:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts