New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondY42

Reaction score
Hi all :D
I'm looking to buy a new work/ranch truck. But before I purchase, would like all y'alls opinion and/or comparision on Dodge3500 4x4 VS all other makes. For ease of repair/maintenance/durability/power and anything else I've missed. Does one Make have certain advantages/disadvantages over another & if so, What?
Thanx in advance! :D

All of them have their good and bad points I have owned all I own 2 chevy s and 2 dodges now just sold a ford I like different things about each one and dislike differetn things also My perfect truck would be Motor-cummins deisel out of dodge Ride of a chevrolet and interior room of a ford so it is all about personal preference their is good and bad in all of them

Loved the chevy but was not impressed with the power compared to Ford or Dodge. Couldn't keep the Ford from falling to pieces when worked for a living. Bought a new 3500 Dodge in '06 and worked it hard, can't say anything bad about it except for the ride. But, it's built to work, not for cruisin. I now have an '07 Dodge 2500 and it pulls just as hard, rides just as bad, but much better fuel economy. Best I ever got with the 3500 was 12.5 mpg. the 2500 with an auto transmission I get 19 and it keeps improving with age, only has 20k miles on it right now. I was concerned when I bought it about torque loss with the automatic but this thing will TUG.

I have had Fords, Chevys and Dodges as stated before all have good and bad. Have Chevy and two Dodges now and two larger trucks. Took a long time to get used to the ride in the dodge but it is the best of any of the diesels we have ever owned. Have never had a Chevy diesel that was any good. The Chevy gas have never had any complaints. Front end problems on Chevy's front ends are weak. Ford is ok but the dealer here local is not the best to deal with.

My one single biggest complaint about chevy is that you can;t turn them around or maneuver them like a FORD. I think the song "Give me 40 acres and I'll tuen this rig around" was written about a chevy. Neighbor has 2 dodges that I've driven but not enough to get comfortable with them.

DiamondY42":303ftiah said:
Hi all :D
I'm looking to buy a new work/ranch truck. But before I purchase, would like all y'alls opinion and/or comparision on Dodge3500 4x4 VS all other makes. For ease of repair/maintenance/durability/power and anything else I've missed. Does one Make have certain advantages/disadvantages over another & if so, What?
Thanx in advance! :D
I have a hard time relating to your first sentence. "New" and "work/ranch truck" just don't seem to fit together. New should stop at the gate. Work/ranch truck is on the other side. There are a lot of old 4 wheel drive powerhouse, gas guzzlers that would work for this for a lot less money. Get one old enough and you can do your own repairs. I guarantee it will make that 50 thousand dollar show boat last a lot longer.

When I owned a diesel performance shop, I owned several diesels of every make/model and drove hundreds more. As has been mentioned, they each have their pros and cons, but this is how I see it:

Dodge - Best power, bar none. Ford and and Chevy owners can get all brand loyal, but when you hook to a heavy load, the I6 will output the V8s every single time. Best handling when the ride gets rough. The Dodge solid axle is rock solid. Seats are the world's worst. Ticked me off that they'd stuff $5 seats in a $50,000 truck.

Chevy - Best ride quality, until the ride gets rough, then the soft suspension tends to make it more difficult to control the vehicle at speed. Duramax is a decent diesel, second only to the Cummins.

Ford - I've always like the look of the Ford, but in my mind it never did anything "best in class". Interior may be nicer than the rest. Won't touch either of the new Powerstrokes. The 7.3 was a decent diesel. If I were buying a new diesel, the Ford would be well down at the bottom of the list.

Rod

Well geezwhats wrong with the new 6.4. So far this motor has help up real well. Actually the new 6.7 Cummins is having some serious issues that cannot be resolved. The 6.4s have not had these issues at all. I think for a work truck Ford would be the first choice. Usually will take more abuse then anything else out there an hold up over the long haul. Chevys front end is to weak for my taste. An Dodge will literally fall apart in time. the Cummins is alright but the truck isnt.

Agboy":mz9gylem said:
I think for a work truck Ford would be the first choice. Usually will take more abuse then anything else out there an hold up over the long haul.

Ford has a lot of thing going for them, however.......... after a few thousand miles, the interior of the Fords seems to fall apart. Rattles, shakes, and cracks are common.

I was a Ford man for years until I went with Chevy because of a friend that worked with a Chevy dealership.

I don't think I will ever buy a Ford truck again.

That being said..... the wife does drive a Lincoln! :lol:

I went with the dodge after owning a 6.0 ford(I owned several 7.3's and still have one good trucks IMO) so far I like the 6.7 but I know people that like the 6.0 fords,but not many.

After test driving a new superduty the other day all I got to say is it makes everything else look bad there pretty awesome. The 6.0 had some problems but this 6.4 has been pretty fool proof so far allbeit for some minor issues. Love the Fords tow mirrors. Definitly the best on any truck. Never had any squeaks or rattles on my superduty after 165,000 miles off pretty hard use.

Agboy":2b9cs46y said:
Actually the new 6.7 Cummins is having some serious issues that cannot be resolved. The 6.4s have not had these issues at all.

So what exactly are these "serious" issues that cannot be resolved? 08 6.7s are virtually complaint free, except for that blasted DPF filter and you know what the solution is to that? Put your foot into it! The 6.4 has the same issue plus a few more, so lets not let brand loyalty stand in the way of common sense.

Rod

shorty":381j3cig said:
I have a dodge and a ford , I like the ford better.
We have two Fords and one Dodge. If you want to pull, hook up to the Cummins.Dodge is not quite a comfortable but sure pulls better.

While I like Cummins engines I don't like them enough to drive a Dodge. That said, I'd drive a Dodge before I'd drive a Chevy. I really like my 6.0 Ford. It may not be the strongest puller out there (can't prove that by me) but it pulls plenty good enough for me and gets pretty good mileage while doing it.

These Ford, Dodge, Chevy arguments get boring after a few years. Everybody is gonna drive what they wanna drive.

One thing that always amazes me is this: When you have a good product, like the 5.9 Cummins or the 7.3 Ford powerstroke, why build a new motor that is inferior?
What was wrong with the 5.9 cummins? Seemed like it had ample juice and good fuel economy? Same goes for the 7.3 powerstroke?
Did Dodge really need a more powerful motor? Is the 6.7 that much superior for power?
Heard a lot of bad things about the Dodge 6.7 and the Ford 6.4. The boys in the oil patch up here in Alberta are not impressed by either.

Latest posts