New Guy Looking for info..

Help Support CattleToday:

littleranch101

Reaction score
1st some backround. I have some land in MN it was pasture and crop land before. I am looking at purchasing some steers (Hereford or Angus).

With regards to the two breeds.. What is the average weights at purchase? What should be a good weight when ready for sale?
I see advertising in my local area for cattle sales or auctions. Is this a good place to purchase calves or young steers? And is this the place where they would go to market after they are large?
When purchasing calves or young steers, is there is alot of stress put on the animals to travel long distances? I.E. if I got a good deal down south and hauled them home?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.. Also sorry if the questions are hard to follow.

Cattle weights "at purchase" depends a lot on breed, age, genetics, management, etc.

Cattle purchased at sale barns, esp. calves, are very susceptible to respiratory "diseases" etc. When animals are commingled with others from various ranches, etc., "bugs" can be easily transmitted in those "tight pack" close quarters.

All animals purchased at sale barns, auctions, ranches should be "quarantined" at your place for couple of weeks or so to check them out for problems before introducing to your herd. Also advisable to de-worm all new arrivals and give them a full regime of vaccinations if you don't have WRITTEN PROOF they were de-wormed and vaccinated recently. Unfortunately at most "sales" places it is a caveat emptor & "what you see is what you get" phenomenon.

"Shrink" due to hauling cattle is usually highest the first few hours of hauling. Can expect probably 10-15% weight loss over a 12-24 hour haul. Cattle tend to not want feed, hay, water during a haul (unless they are off-loaded in a corral overnight on long hauls), and, the overall stress of they experience during a haul.

Can take up to a month (or longer) for an animal to gain back their "shrink"...depends a lot on the individual animal and the breed.

HEY MINNESOTA!!! Welcome to the boards!

The best place to get steers is direct from a farmer at weaning if s/he is willing to sell. Otherwise auction barn will do. I would advise against buying young calves, buy something weaned,cut and vaccinated already. Take someone with you. I have not seen anything I would consider to be unfair going on at sale barns but have heard about it on boards. I sometimes assume too much when dealing with others, so maybe is better to take someone a little street smart with you ~ yes? (Just read what RAB wrote and,yes, unless you have written proof vaccinate and deworm yourself asap. Save your vaccination certificate from the vet so if you sell at auction, you can send it through with the calves. This is what I do).

When you have finished them, and they are ready to butcher ~ try to sell direct, like a half to this guy and a quarter to that gal.. What you can't sell direct, then you can haul off to auction. But it is usually very easy to sell direct.

If you are wanting to buy weaned steers, try to do this before the end of February, price goes up quickly after that in Mn.

The whole process is stressful for them, a little extra travel is not going to make it that much worse in my opinion, depending on how far you are going. However I dont know that you'd have to go far for a good price. With the hay situation around here ~ they are almost giving them away. ( Make sure you are set up with hay ahead of time).

Both angus and hereford are good choices. Honestly, if you can sell direct to people (and you should, cut out middle man), I'd go with the hereford. Why pay extra for black when you're selling them, in the end, for $1.5 - 1.75 regardless. Doesn't make a difference what color it is.

Good Luck and Stay Warm!

Just a tip - Watch the health of calves from the sale barn. I learned (and still learning) the hard way. I have lost many smaller calves to respiratory illness.

The weight at purchase depends on tthe individual animal and how much it weighs when it is sold....not being a wise ar$e but if you buy at a sale barn, usually animals under 250# will be sold by the head as will bred cows and pairs...so in response to the question they can reange from near birth weight to, the biggest I can remember 2860#.
My advise to someone just getting into the business is to buy from a good producer with a guarentee on the animals. You will get quality, not culls and not have to worry about diseases that you won't be able to recognize until you have a real sick cow on your hands. You will start out with a good strain and a basis to build a herd on...most producers have spent a good portion of their lives building a line of animals that they are proud of and will stand behind.
Besides you will make a friend and possibily find the mentor that you seek.
Do a search of past posts on the subject of getting started and get ready for some invaluable advise from folks that have lifetimes of experience.
Good luck to you....DMc

littleranch101 said:
When purchasing calves or young steers, is there is alot of stress put on the animals to travel long distances? I.E. if I got a good deal down south and hauled them home?

Hi littleranch.
I think I would worry a bit about purchasing calves in the South and taking them to Minnesota this time of year. Your winters are so much harsher and in no way would they be acclimated to your weather. Spring, summer or fall might be ok but I would worry about the stress of winter on them. It's 50 degrees here now and has been for several days and I'm in the Upper South.

Latest posts