First timer looking for advice

Help Support CattleToday:

shrekcowgirl

Reaction score
My daughter is 13 years old and wanting to start 4-H again. She showed a lamb when she was 8 then we moved and we had to stop. She wants to get back into showing with a Market Steer. Is it too late for her to join? Any breeder recommendations? Advice? (she has been around cattle of of her life too)

Around here the market steer 4H season begins in the fall and ends with the show and sale in the late spring.

Start with your county extension agent. You will have to enroll in the 4-H program. They will be able to answer all your questions. Maybe hook you up with an older member to mentor your daughter Good luck and have fun!
Thank you! Do you think it would be too late to join?

Depends on where you reside. Northern states with county fairs in July/August usually need to be enrolled by January or February and need to own the steer by end of January. Most kids will have their steers bought and on feed by end of October.

No, not at all. Depending on where you live you may not have the steer/show cycle started. But, it is definitely not too late for a 13 to join 4-H and she can begin learning. As SDgrandpa said, contact your local Extension agent and they will help guide you. My guess is that there are some older kids around that will help mentor her in the program too. If you tell us where you are located someone on this board may be able to help you contact the local or state 4-H office. If you are in Tennessee, I can get you the contact person here.

Probably have to start with a feeder calf this year, at least thats how it works here. My sons market steer had to be weighed and tagged back in early December for our Aug fair. But feeders don't need registered until fair week here.

Contact local County Extension. Sign her up for 4-H and find out the rules. Even if it's too late to sign up for a beef project, your state should have lots of JUNIOR shows that are not regulated by 4-H deadlines/rules. I would advise starting out with a prospect steer that will be her market steer next year. What you pick out and how you feed it depends on the date of your "final" fair/sale.
She can compete in cooking, crafts, woodworking - lots of stuff this year. 4-H is a GREAT program.

Latest posts