New Cow Pens

Help Support CattleToday:

I found some very reasonable priced used guardrail. We lagged it to post. May have to change post one day, but rail will be there. It was slightly more than wood, but I am glad I used it.

zirlottkim":1unmr6qt said:
I found some very reasonable priced used guardrail. We lagged it to post. May have to change post one day, but rail will be there. It was slightly more than wood, but I am glad I used it.

My best lot is built out of guardrail. Only way out is over it bc they ain't gonna go through it. Works well.

keep them ideas comming cause im getting ready to build somthing myself .does anyone use portable pannels ,i came across some heavy ones last year gave 1600 for 30 lady had draft horses ! most still in good shape 12 ft x5ft 3 what i call stays down the height so strenght every 3 ft plan on covering with ply wood or poly sheeting on bottom 3/4 of the pannels.post every 6ft.as im getting old an soft and my daughter is goig be doing most doctering im setting up so chute an working ally is in old shed that just collect junk any way well and her tack room !

JMJ Farms":1zqv20gw said:
zirlottkim":1zqv20gw said:

My best lot is built out of guardrail. Only way out is over it bc they ain't gonna go through it. Works well.
Best built pen I ever saw is a friends in northeast Texas out of guardrail.
I just came across a deal on new reject drill stem for .50 a foot with me doing the pickup. Accidentally found out the cows where much calmer in the drill stem wire panel pen for some reason. When I built the one I have now I had some girls that would test a pen.

mooo":1kd2tmpm said:
keep them ideas comming cause im getting ready to build somthing myself .does anyone use portable pannels ,i came across some heavy ones last year gave 1600 for 30 lady had draft horses ! most still in good shape 12 ft x5ft 3 what i call stays down the height so strenght every 3 ft plan on covering with ply wood or poly sheeting on bottom 3/4 of the pannels.post every 6ft.as im getting old an soft and my daughter is goig be doing most doctering im setting up so chute an working ally is in old shed that just collect junk any way well and her tack room !

There's a fellow in Norman Park who builds 10' portable panels that I'm pretty sure would keep a tank in. $100/ea. probably a cheaper way but they do come apart and can be moved easily with two strong backs.

I have some heavy panels down the side of one pen in the working pens. Hooked them together at the joint 2 share a railroad tie. Used heavy wire around them instead of drilling a hole to let water in. Leveled them looks fine.

im still gathering materals myself but anything beats running around corner into a gate hinged to pen up aginst side of the barn .im keeping my eyes wide open on this fourm ahh does any one use duct tape an baler twin besides me oh occanisanal zip tie

mooo":2z2drn2z said:
im still gathering materals myself but anything beats running around corner into a gate hinged to pen up aginst side of the barn .im keeping my eyes wide open on this fourm ahh does any one use duct tape an baler twin besides me oh occanisanal zip tie
Nope when it comes to pens I am OCD to the max.
Too many train wrecks years ago at my age it all has to work right and smoothly.

Caustic Burno":26bhemfl said:
mooo":26bhemfl said:
Nope when it comes to pens I am OCD to the max.
Too many train wrecks years ago at my age it all has to work right and smoothly.

Overkill on pens is just fine with me. If a post will hold it, put in three for good measure.

I still haven't built the pens but I have bought some 20' continuos fence panels.

talltimber":1toe0628 said:
My uncle bought some of those. He built a nice load out pen with them, looks good.
djswin":1toe0628 said:
I still haven't built the pens but I have bought some 20' continuos fence panels.

We are getting ready to put in some holding pens with continuous fence. Where is a good place to buy them?

RiverHills":1083xoar said:
talltimber":1083xoar said:
My uncle bought some of those. He built a nice load out pen with them, looks good.
djswin":1083xoar said:

We are getting ready to put in some holding pens with continuous fence. Where is a good place to buy them?

Where are you located? There's a place in Athens, Alabama but thats probably a long way from you.

The boss designed this layout. We have a foremost ally sweep tub and head gate under the pole barn.
He added a load out area when he changed out the wood pens to guardrail. I haven't looked at google earth lately to see if you the new pens look much different.

I decided to check out google earth to see if I could find a more current pen layout and it had been updated. So this photo shows the new load out area which works out pretty good we just back the trailer up and instead of running them into the ally we close one gate and open the gate to the load out. We also have gates in the load out area so once they hit the end the only thing they can do is get on the trailer.

Gizmom

JMJ Farms":baej0v9h said:
RiverHills":baej0v9h said:
talltimber":baej0v9h said:
djswin":baej0v9h said:

Where are you located? There's a place in Athens, Alabama but thats probably a long way from you.
That's where I bought them from. C&B delivered for around $140.

RiverHills":217vs3cf said:
talltimber":217vs3cf said:
djswin":217vs3cf said:

Sorry I missed this, RH. Contact Will at Yarbrough Steel in Sikeston. Tell him I referred you. He should have them or he will know where to get them.

talltimber":2u0v49xc said:
RiverHills":2u0v49xc said:
talltimber":2u0v49xc said:
djswin":2u0v49xc said:

Sorry I missed this, RH. Contact Will at Yarbrough Steel in Sikeston. Tell him I referred you. He should have them or he will know where to get them.

TT is that the same place as Cowboy pipe?

Latest posts