New Cow Pens

Help Support CattleToday:

djswin

Reaction score
Tell me what I'm doing wrong before I break ground. Any advice will be appreciated.

It should look very similar to this one in Florida when it's finished.

I built a holding pen/corral a couple of years ago using wood posts and plank boards similar to what you have on your plan. I decided to put heavy wire cattle panels on up after realizing how easily those planks break.

I always wanted another pen in front of the headgate/squeeze chute for the cows to exit into after you finished working them yet still be caught.

TexasBred":oeplvrf0 said:
I always wanted another pen in front of the headgate/squeeze chute for the cows to exit into after you finished working them yet still be caught.

That is exactly what I did after thirty years the cow can be loaded cut back to the pen a two acre lot or the pasture from the chute.
There is six gates on this chute system, chute is 30 inches wide I want hair dragging when they come down it. The majority of train wrecks happen in bad chute set ups as M5 pointed out on the diagram that load out sucks.

For what it's worth I like to load out thru the chute/head catch. Anything that has to go for a ride is familiar with going down the chute alley therefore they go without issue. A strategically placed gate to be able to back trailer in is all you need.

M-5":n7np1zz8 said:
Also no way to run one back To the pens after the squeeze chute. I like a safety net incase one slips thru I can just move them back to the working pen.
I plan on having moveable cattle panels temporarily to head them back but they will be released into a pen that is only about an acre.

TennesseeTuxedo":3mzizb2d said:
I built a holding pen/corral a couple of years ago using wood posts and plank boards similar to what you have on your plan. I decided to put heavy wire cattle panels on up after realizing how easily those planks break.
I'll be using 1.5" x 6" white oak boards so they'll be a little bit stouter than pressure treated pine.

djswin":tnz2ljda said:
TennesseeTuxedo":tnz2ljda said:
I'll be using 1.5" x 6" white oak boards so they'll be a little bit stouter than pressure treated pine.

I sure ain't gonna tell you how to do it, but do keep in mind that 1.5" seems thick till 1200+/- pounds hits it. Had a 500 pound heifer come out of the chute a while back and demolish a portable corral panel. (It was a cheap light built one though) Stuck her head under it and you can guess the rest. Folded it like a lawn chair. One of the best lots I've got is on a rented farm. Old wooden fence, half rotten, layered with 6' high heavy, heavy gauge chain link. When they hit it, they just bounce back :lol2: Ugly but it works.

djswin":xnign15t said:
M-5":xnign15t said:
Also no way to run one back To the pens after the squeeze chute. I like a safety net incase one slips thru I can just move them back to the working pen.
I plan on having moveable cattle panels temporarily to head them back but they will be released into a pen that is only about an acre.
Nothing wrong with that. I do basically the same thing. Mainly because I like to load out thru the head catch.

M-5":2a7y15qw said:

This immediately jumped out to me as well. It's a real life-saver to be able to re-route them back into your working flow or sort them after the chute into multiple groups. In fact, where will the cattle go after the chute at all in this design? Not seeing a gate your temp panels will move them towards.

You are going to be replacing those boards, get 2 x 6's at LEAST, if you are set on wood. I didn't do the math but you better bolt them up pretty close together too. 4 won't do, 6 at least. make sure nothing can get a head through or under any gaps.

Your loading area is confusing to me, but either way it should be narrower or have a sweep gate of some kind.

Hippie Rancher":2kiscjcj said:
You are going to be replacing those boards, get 2 x 6's at LEAST, if you are set on wood. I didn't do the math but you better bolt them up pretty close together too. 4 won't do, 6 at least. make sure nothing can get a head through or under any gaps.

Your loading area is confusing to me, but either way it should be narrower or have a sweep gate of some kind.

Wood is not the way to go unless you have cattle panel on it as well.
Sooner or later one will test your pens.
I started with just wood then added panel will hold tough tigers
decided I was tired of working on pens and went to drill stem.

I have wooden pens. 1"x6" planks nailed on inside of 8" post. They are strong. I do have six planks high. I am not sure the spacing between planks right off but would say 4" to 6". Your post spacing appears to be 5' spacing so I would assume that would be pretty stout. I too would do some rethinking on your loading chute design.

Y'all have talked me into putting cattle panels under the 5 oak boards. It should only cost about $200 more or so. I may rework the load out and the sweep to make sure that the gate and curved wall will work as a sweep tub.

Just put in a set of pens. Used 7 bar heavy panels and 6 bar bull gates. Set posts as needed 4' in the ground. Pretty much a U shape with the entry leg at 16' wide and the tightening towards the back of the chute at 12' wide parallel to the 16' and a cut gate every 16'. Can exit animals back to the 16' section or load out to the other side in some 12' X 16' cuts. Sweep gate at the back of the chute to keep me from getting kicked anymore, ... I hope! For cows and sheep.

x whatever on the load-out
x whatever on the re-route out of squeeze chute

It wouldn't be hard to have a 20x20 lot where the "56post"-etc text is.
That would allow you to keep anything separate and out of the way while working the herd. (i.e. We often have a few feeder/beef calves "in the way" when we need the lots to work calves, or a doctoring project, or pair needing help, etc)

You must be short. :) We occasionally walk our calves down the alley and those cross members would need to be higher.

Latest posts