ATV

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Was out with the ditcher this morning cleaning up our waist water ditch. Dad was out watching on the ATV and once I got done I went back to the house to unhook it from the tractor. I look back and I see dad walking down the road, so I hop in the the pickup to see what is up. It turns out he lost the back wheel. Instead to fixing it out there in the middle of the field I decided to drive it home on three wheels dragging the left back axle. After fixing it dad and I went looking out looking at ATV's. At his age he does not need to be walking home; it would take him forever to get back to the house, and he here lately has been having trouble keeping on his feet. We do have him taking physical therapy, and I do think it is helping. I can't complain about the Arctic Cat we have now; dad bought it in 2006, and it has about 16000 hours on it. It leaks oil, and we have lost a back wheel a couple times in the last three years. You might say that we had run the wheels right off that thing, so I think it is time to start looking for a new one. I would not mind a side by side, but just don't want to spend that much. We looked at a couple ATV's today. Arctic Cat for $9000, Yamaha for $8000, and a Polaris $7000. I think dad paid $6000 for the one we have now.

We started out looking at atvs a few years ago, and pretty quickly realized how much more we could do with a side x side. They both have their place, but overall the side x side is more useful to us.

Mostly what we use it for is irrigating, spraying weeds and moving cows. Although I'm not sure I am going to let dad help move cows this year. Last year he kind of got lost, and he know that pasture pretty well. He is not near as cognitive as he used to be.

I found a 2012 Polaris ranger 400 with 1200 hours on it for $3800. Not sure I want to take a chance with used.

There are smaller sxs that do not carry near the same price tag as some have mentioned. They can be had in the 10-15K range and will have a lot better resale.

I have bought a couple 2-3K atvs lately. They are handy but the new atv prices are crazy for what you are getting and the resale is horrible.

A SxS is definitely better than an ATV but if going with an ATV I'd look at the Honda Rancher with the auto transmission, independent rear suspension, and power steering. We've had one for 12 yrs and although it doesn't get allot of use now it's been a good rig. We priced a new one last year and they was around $8,500.

I decided to hold off on buying anything right now. I'm just going repair the old ATV; I think it will get me through the summer. Maybe sometime this fall, or next winter I will buy something new. Just don't want to barrow anymore money.

I decided to hold off on buying anything right now. I'm just going repair the old ATV; I think it will get me through the summer. Maybe sometime this fall, or next winter I will buy something new. Just don't want to barrow anymore money.
Kubota may times has a true 0% interest. I financed mine instead of paying for it because of that.

Nothing wrong with that. You can put a lot of money in to fixing up that atv and still not be close to the money of some thing new. You can buy radios or what else ever also.

Is the axle breaking or lugs coming off or what that the wheel comes off?

Nothing wrong with that. You can put a lot of money in to fixing up that atv and still not be close to the money of some thing new. You can buy radios or what else ever also.

Is the axle breaking or lugs coming off or what that the wheel comes off?
What happened is the cotter pin that keeps the nut from spinning sheared off and the nut finally came off and the hub came off. There is some wobble in the wheel. I think I should be able to replace the bearing. I think I should be able to keep it going for the summer. I may not want to take it out to the ranch, as if it broke down that would be a long walk home.

When there is something like walking water down the ditch where every rancher in the valley shows up it looks like a Honda Rancher convention. About half of them also own a side by side. But when it comes irrigation time the sxs gets parked and the ATV is used. And everyone uses Honda.

Kubota may times has a true 0% interest. I financed mine instead of paying for it because of that.
Yeah. Sometimes.
We took a nearly 10% discount for cash at Kawasaki. Course, it's setting in the shop now waiting for a fire hazard recall fix...:mad:

Glad I still have the 19 year old one.

Is it gas or diesel? The diesel engines will last forever, however, those models had a clutch problem. I would avoid unless the clutch has been replaced which many were.
I think it was gas, I could probably get it for a lot less. It has a broken back window and crack in the front window, but I'm going to pass on it. I am pretty sure I can make the old ATV go through the summer. I have a buddy who I am going to bale his hay, he has about two hundred acres of alfalfa and he said it produces about six tons an acre. Once I get that hay sold I should have enough to buy a fairly nice UTV or ATV. At the moment I am leaning toward the UTV.

Well I don't it now. I went and bought a brand new 2024 Polaris Sportsman 450. I had found a used 2018 Arctic Cat Altera 500 with only 354 miles on it for $6600 before taxes, and I was going to buy it. I then went into the Polaris dealer and they had a brand new Polaris on sale for $6500 before taxes. The best part is I don't have to go the Fort Collins Colorado to get it. I will just drive it home, the dealer is only about 2.5 miles away from me. I will pick it up next week once my loan is approved. At some point I will probably list our old ATV for sale, and be happy if I can get $500 for it.

Last edited:
When there is something like walking water down the ditch where every rancher in the valley shows up it looks like a Honda Rancher convention. About half of them also own a side by side. But when it comes irrigation time the sxs gets parked and the ATV is used. And everyone uses Honda.
My first ATV on the ranch in SD was a Yamaha, and it was a gas hog although I didn't know it until I got a Honda.

Well I don't it now. I went and bought a brand new 2024 Polaris Sportsman 450. I had found a used 2018 Arctic Cat Altera 500 with only 354 miles on it for $6600 before taxes, and I was going to buy it. I then went into the Polaris dealer and they had a brand new Polaris on sale for $6500 before taxes. The best part is I don't have to go the Fort Collins Colorado to get it. I will just drive it home, the dealer is only about 2.5 miles away from me. I will pick it up next week once my loan is approved. At some point I will probably list our old ATV for sale, and be happy if I can get $500 for it.
Sounds like a good deal. Not sure about there but check and see if you can not pay sales tax on it because it will be 100% farm use

Latest posts