New calf in June

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
One of the cows just dropped a healthy heifer late last evening. Normally they are all done calving early May, but this cow must have slipped or something. Anyway, we are saturated with water here, looks like the spring thaw what with all the standing water and mud. The bugs are really bad, just wondering if there is anything or which spray would work best on the calf since she is so young?

Horse folks spend a lot on fly spray, and it comes in small bottle or 1 gallon jugs.
I assume that will work as long as you can catch the calf.

Stocker Steve":3fea01a6 said:
Horse folks spend a lot on fly spray, and it comes in small bottle or 1 gallon jugs.
I assume that will work as long as you can catch the calf.

Thanks Steve, will give those a look to see if they are okay for nursing calves. If one of the nags sprays work, the next obstacle will be to get through the sheet hole of mud and crud out there to get close enough without falling in and getting sucked up!

Stocker Steve":uzzrxm5t said:
The red on the rainfall map looked like it was over Aaron.
Is he still there or did he wash away?

Their getting the sheet kicked out of them on the border with more rain on the way so ya he probably is in Hudson Bay by now!

I'm still here. I wrapped a chain around my leg and threw an anchor down a couple days after it started.

5.5 inches in 4 days, many around here got over 7. Official measure is 22.88 inches since end of April. More water than we received in all of 2011 and 2012 combined. Every dam between Atikokan and the Falls is wide open. Highway between Baudette and the Falls is shut down at the Loman bridge. Supposed to be more rain tomorrow.

Crops are basically a complete write-off for anyone here this year. 70% never got anything in, and the other 30% is saturated. Some people still feeding hay as they don't want to punch up pastures completely. Foot rot is going to be bad this year.

As to the fly control.....I have used Permectrin CDS with good results. I have used it on calves, not newborns, but a couple of weeks old, with no ill effects.

Katherine

Aaron, that is a LOT of rain, especially if you aren't used to it. Our average rainfall (including snow) is 9-12"/year. I ought to send you a snorkel!

As for fly sprays, I use Absorbine Ultrashield with good results, lasts a fairly long time which is nice... You know the cow is just going to lick it off... if she's doing her job at least

Latest posts