negotiating a new vehicle

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I buy one maybe every 10.years.
I've just got a quote from where I'd like to buy.
I think I'm just going to email it to other dealers and let everyone take a shot.
I'm sure we have some expert negotiators here. Any tips on getting the most out of them

Instead of doing that, Tell them what you exactly want. No trade, Cash or good check at time of PU , What day you buying. Then tell them to give you their best price. Then if they call you after you bought and they say we could of beat that price. Remind them then, they were trying to screw you out of the difference. If the vehicle is slightly differ, you will have to decide if the $ #'s work

I usually email 10 different dealers a build and price sheet. And ask them to please send me your best price. Some will want a phone number before they'll send you a quote. And most of them will tell you we'll beat anyone's price. I tell them send me you best price and we'll see. I don't shop my lowest price around, even though I know I could buy the truck a little cheaper.
Dave Smith Motors, in Idaho is the cheapest place to buy a Ram truck.

We told our local dealer if they came within $2K of other dealers we would buy from them; lowest price cash deal. Not even close. Told the Wichita dealer lowest price, cash deal, wanted their quote by the following day. Done deal. End of the month or quarter are generally a good time to buy but if you hold out until closer to the end of the year you can score on a '16 model.

True Grit Farms":22a7e56j said:
I usually email 10 different dealers a build and price sheet. And ask them to please send me your best price. Some will want a phone number before they'll send you a quote. And most of them will tell you we'll beat anyone's price. I tell them send me you best price and we'll see. I don't shop my lowest price around, even though I know I could buy the truck a little cheaper.
That's where my Dodge was purchased

kerley":2m5oltz9 said:
True Grit Farms":2m5oltz9 said:
Is it worth the drive from Idaho?

jedstivers":20d2zs7f said:
kerley":20d2zs7f said:
True Grit Farms":20d2zs7f said:

To us it is Jed, both my wife and I enjoy driving and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. I assume that you mean monetary, if so no it's not worth it.

True Grit Farms":1p4jv7gt said:
jedstivers":1p4jv7gt said:
kerley":1p4jv7gt said:

To us it is Jed, both my wife and I enjoy driving and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. I assume that you mean monetary, if so no it's not worth it.
Yeah, monetary. Y'all fly out and bring it back? That would be a good vacation if you like that stuff.

callmefence":nr2fr4j2 said:
I buy one maybe every 10.years.
I've just got a quote from where I'd like to buy.
I think I'm just going to email it to other dealers and let everyone take a shot.
I'm sure we have some expert negotiators here. Any tips on getting the most out of them

This is the fun part... I love buying trucks. You haggle every damn thing, even the fact I want to test drive your vehicle??????? Yes, get that serious. They have to sell and you want to buy. Dont let the "want" over power the sell. I have the cash or means to buy it. If you are brand loyal, then shop several dealers. I am not brand loyal for the most part..except I dont like GM, so I shop. I use to be a diesel guy, not any more. Know what you want and go get it. Do not be afraid to walk....best damn deal I made was walking from deal in McAllen, Tx. I got 5-8 miles down the road after walking they called me back to take the offer.

I do my research. I know what I will pay. I call the dealer and tell them my price. I say call me back if we can do the deal. I'll get a call toward the end of the month. Might take a while.. Patience seems to be the key.

Car sellers count on car fever. Don't get car fever.

HDRider":n0sfudv3 said:
I do my research. I know what I will pay. I call the dealer and tell them my price. I say call me back if we can do the deal. I'll get a call toward the end of the month. Might take a while.. Patience seems to be the key.

Car sellers count on car fever. Don't get car fever.
And the flip side to that is they count on it so much that's all they know. I can't just look or price to even think I might want something without them wanting the sale right now. I can go months thinking and they want the deal within the hour.
The worst is when I tell a small town dealer when the right used one comes in for a cheap farm truck let me know, don't care if it's six months from now. They call the next day with something that's not the right deal and if they would only remember me when they have one it would be a instant sale then. They forget me by then though. Lot of farmers like me too, they could do good on that kind of inventory but they want to sell what they have at the moment and not keep a list.

My dad just got a F250 from Holiday Ford out in Whitesboro, a little bit of a cruise but they had everybody beat by a fair margin. Bluebonnet ford down in New Braunfels has pretty good pricing on F150's. We're Ford guys but it seems like everyone has discounted offers on the internet I think if they don't price it well on the internet they lose out on people contacting them. I usually look up all the dealers in Austin Houston Dallas and San Antonio find the best special price and go from there, 2016 F150's are like 13k off right now. I'm sure Rams and Silverados have similar discounts.

There is a web site that shows factory to dealer incentives. Sometimes dealer lets you know that sometimes they don't. It's a good ace in the hole knowing what's out there. I would think there might be some bargains in Midland Odessa right now.

the 3/4 and ton trucks are tougher because the prices aren't published on the internet, or I can't find them.

About 10 years ago I bought a used Dodge pickup for my wife
The price they told me to make the check for was $299 dollars more for something called adman fees.
I said no way and prepared to leave. They followed me out the door, saying they had to charge that.
I said fine, bye. They said it was off.
Don't know how many vheicles I have bought since then, NEVER paid the fee.
One dealer told me he sold 100 vehicles a day, adman fees were $190 . That's $190,000 a day. Don't cost that for paperwork.
Anyone prices a vehicle to me, tell me what it costs upfront when you tell me the price. They WILL always waive the fee if you insist. They won't let you walk out the door. ggs

plumber_greg":3jc9hoo9 said:
About 10 years ago I bought a used Dodge pickup for my wife
The price they told me to make the check for was $299 dollars more for something called adman fees.
I said no way and prepared to leave. They followed me out the door, saying they had to charge that.
I said fine, bye. They said it was off.
Don't know how many vheicles I have bought since then, NEVER paid the fee.
One dealer told me he sold 100 vehicles a day, adman fees were $190 . That's $190,000 a day. Don't cost that for paperwork.
Anyone prices a vehicle to me, tell me what it costs upfront when you tell me the price. They WILL always waive the fee if you insist. They won't let you walk out the door. ggs
Uh, might want to check your zeros on that.

Salesman my stepson bought his from went to his manager the fourth time before my stepson said OK. Course the first three times all the number changes was financeing rates to make the payments come within the range my stepson was prepared to pay......really it was five time, because of the dealer add-ons they said weren't part of the negotiations.... :lol: ..they wanted $250 more for the nitrogen they put in the tires. Son told them to go ahead and let the nitrogen out and put plain old air back in. He meant it and was ready to walk out.

Latest posts