negotiating a new vehicle

Help Support CattleToday:

I've leaned to not shop cheap prices on these new trucks, shop good service departments. When one of these new trucks has an issue a bad service department with cost you any thing you saved on the front end in a heart beat.

All those volume dealers with the cheap prices are in the business off selling cars, not servicing them.

Brute 23":3sretstw said:
I've leaned to not shop cheap prices on these new trucks, shop good service departments. When one of these new trucks has an issue a bad service department with cost you any thing you saved on the front end in a heart beat.

All those volume dealers with the cheap prices are in the business off selling cars, not servicing them.

You're preaching to the choir!

Jed,
Finger went crazy on that, didn't it? Still don't cost them that much to fill out a piece of paper.
Next time I sell some fixtures, I'm gonna' add a couple of hundred for my time to pay the wholesale bill for them. Wish I could plumb a car dealers' house. Probably have to negicoate, how in the heck so you spell that, the price. Something I have never done on my end.
gs

jedstivers":1wdlcz04 said:
kerley":1wdlcz04 said:
True Grit Farms":1wdlcz04 said:
I usually email 10 different dealers a build and price sheet. And ask them to please send me your best price. Some will want a phone number before they'll send you a quote. And most of them will tell you we'll beat anyone's price. I tell them send me you best price and we'll see. I don't shop my lowest price around, even though I know I could buy the truck a little cheaper.
Dave Smith Motors, in Idaho is the cheapest place to buy a Ram truck.
That's where my Dodge was purchased
Is it worth the drive from Idaho?
I have bought 5 new Diesel 3/4 ton and one tons (and one F-450) this year alone and I was talked into giving them a shot at my business for our Wyoming and Nevada operations. I can honestly say that it was the biggest PIA, the salesman was amateur hour, the sales manager was going to educate me on how trucks are sold even though he solicited my business and was well aware I average buying a new truck every 3-4 months. Most importantly, after all the hype, the little dealership in the little town in Western Wyoming I've dealt with all this time for those 2 ranches proceeded to smoke them on price.
I know there are many good stories about Dave Smith and there is no denying they sell an enormous amount of trucks but I'll pass.
This is how I like to buy a truck:
Me: "Hi Bobby, I'm needing a 3/4 ton, crew cab, rubberized floors, cloth interior, short box, 4x4, diesel, white. Get me one".
Salesman: "Ok, I'll see if we have one on the lot, if not, I'll dealer trade one in here".
Me: "Great".
(Next Day)
Salesman: "It's here".
Me: "Great, I'll get down there after lunch".
I have no time for hocus pocus about sticker prices, rebate coupons from factory, throwing in free premium sound, blah, blah, blah.
Get me what I want at the cheapest price you can get it for me and I'm sure we will do deals on a lot of trucks. Have I ever bought a truck for $500 more from "my dealership" than I could have gotten it elsewhere? Maybe, very possibly not though and assuredly nothing worth losing sleep over. I also put a lot of value in the experience being simple and pleasant and getting me back to how I actually pay for trucks quickly.
I bought a truck last week for our ranch mechanic in California. The process LITERALLY took me 40 minutes. I spent 10 minutes on the phone one morning, they got me the figures via email that afternoon, I said ok. The next afternoon, my wife and I went to dinner in the town where the dealership is (40 miles from our house), she dropped me off at the dealership after we ate, I walked in at 7:00PM (First time in process of buying this truck I set foot in there). I was driving the new truck back to the ranch with all paperwork signed etc., prior to 7:30PM. That has value to me.

jedstivers":1e2jfizc said:
kerley":1e2jfizc said:
True Grit Farms":1e2jfizc said:
I usually email 10 different dealers a build and price sheet. And ask them to please send me your best price. Some will want a phone number before they'll send you a quote. And most of them will tell you we'll beat anyone's price. I tell them send me you best price and we'll see. I don't shop my lowest price around, even though I know I could buy the truck a little cheaper.
Yes, It's worth the drive to Idaho when you live in Carson City, Nevada.

jedstivers":39qztwo3 said:
kerley":39qztwo3 said:
True Grit Farms":39qztwo3 said:
I don't think it would be worth traveling from your part of the world. I sure do see a lot of Dave Smith vehicles around here and it has to be 350 miles from here to Kellogg, Idaho. The couple guys who I know that bought vehicles from them did it all over the phone. Then they flew into Spokane. Someone from Dave Smith picked them up at the airport. A half hour to do the paper work and they are on their way. I have never dealt with them but I have driven past a number of times ( you can see everything in Kellogg from the freeway). They have acres of pickups.

Every dealer has a binder with the vehicle invoices for the vehicles on their lot. That invoice shows dealer cost, MSRP, etc. The one thing that I remember was "holdback" shown on the invoice. Even if a dealer sold at their "cost", they would still make the holdback amount shown on the invoice. Until you negotiated into that holdback amount, the dealership wasn't losing money per say. Now, you still have to trust the dealer to show actual invoices and not just invoices they make up (has happened to people), but that is what I used for negotiating. As mentioned above, dealers can work numbers (interest rate, loan term) to get the payment where a customers needs it to be. Going into a dealer and saying I want to spend no more than $500/month is the absolute worst thing to do.

Now, I don't know how much the dealer invoice is still around as it has been years since I've bought a new vehicle.

kerley":13zdvcps said:
jedstivers":13zdvcps said:
kerley":13zdvcps said:

I shopped Dave Smith. They have underbid every one so far by about 2500.00
Idk. Idaho is a long way. I think if I took the wife it's would be a wash at best

callmefence":3muszilq said:
kerley":3muszilq said:
jedstivers":3muszilq said:

I shopped Dave Smith. They have underbid every one so far by about 2500.00
Idk. Idaho is a long way. I think if I took the wife it's would be a wash at best

But you'd have the trip of a lifetime if you catch the weather right...or wrong. Your getting late in the year to make the trip IMO. But Dave or Old timer would know for sure. If you ever make it out there be sure you drive the Beartooth highway through Yellowstone.

js1234":3uufyo4k said:
jedstivers":3uufyo4k said:
kerley":3uufyo4k said:
I have bought 5 new Diesel 3/4 ton and one tons (and one F-450) this year alone and I was talked into giving them a shot at my business for our Wyoming and Nevada operations. I can honestly say that it was the biggest PIA, the salesman was amateur hour, the sales manager was going to educate me on how trucks are sold even though he solicited my business and was well aware I average buying a new truck every 3-4 months. Most importantly, after all the hype, the little dealership in the little town in Western Wyoming I've dealt with all this time for those 2 ranches proceeded to smoke them on price.
I know there are many good stories about Dave Smith and there is no denying they sell an enormous amount of trucks but I'll pass.
This is how I like to buy a truck:
Me: "Hi Bobby, I'm needing a 3/4 ton, crew cab, rubberized floors, cloth interior, short box, 4x4, diesel, white. Get me one".
Salesman: "Ok, I'll see if we have one on the lot, if not, I'll dealer trade one in here".
Me: "Great".
(Next Day)
Salesman: "It's here".
Me: "Great, I'll get down there after lunch".
I have no time for hocus pocus about sticker prices, rebate coupons from factory, throwing in free premium sound, blah, blah, blah.
Get me what I want at the cheapest price you can get it for me and I'm sure we will do deals on a lot of trucks. Have I ever bought a truck for $500 more from "my dealership" than I could have gotten it elsewhere? Maybe, very possibly not though and assuredly nothing worth losing sleep over. I also put a lot of value in the experience being simple and pleasant and getting me back to how I actually pay for trucks quickly.
I bought a truck last week for our ranch mechanic in California. The process LITERALLY took me 40 minutes. I spent 10 minutes on the phone one morning, they got me the figures via email that afternoon, I said ok. The next afternoon, my wife and I went to dinner in the town where the dealership is (40 miles from our house), she dropped me off at the dealership after we ate, I walked in at 7:00PM (First time in process of buying this truck I set foot in there). I was driving the new truck back to the ranch with all paperwork signed etc., prior to 7:30PM. That has value to me.

I agree 100%. Its amazing that dealers will let repeat customers walk like that. To be honest if your educated on financing and prices I really think they don't want to mess with you. They want gullible, suckers. A monkey can get approved for a vehicle so paying cash or being able to actually afford the vehicle doesn't give you any leverage any more.

I've bought my last two trucks on eBay and have been very pleased, the dealers in my area just cant compete with the online prices. Both come out of Texas, one in Dallas and one in Houston at Texas Direct Auto. Both trucks were still under warranty. As stated in other posts, my wife and I actually enjoy it and make a vacation of it. Flying down and picking the truck up and visiting family. Makes for a good time!

jedstivers":1duqpm4s said:
kerley":1duqpm4s said:
jedstivers":1duqpm4s said:
I thought you lived in Alabama.
I was from Carson City, Nevada. My wife was from Alabama. Our Youngest Son was in the Navy, stationed in Florida. On June 3rd 2000 our son was killed in an accident in Florida. As a courtesy to his Grandparents who were not physically able to travel to Nevada, we buried him in Alabama, near their home. We retired in 2004 and moved to Alabama, bought land in the country and built our new home two miles from the Cemetary.

kerley":3vnmlcc9 said:
jedstivers":3vnmlcc9 said:
kerley":3vnmlcc9 said:
I thought you lived in Alabama.
I was from Carson City, Nevada. My wife was from Alabama. Our Youngest Son was in the Navy, stationed in Florida. On June 3rd 2000 our son was killed in an accident in Florida. As a courtesy to his Grandparents who were not physically able to travel to Nevada, we buried him in Alabama, near their home. We retired in 2004 and moved to Alabama, bought land in the country and built our new home two miles from the Cemetary.
You are living my biggest fear.
My sincere condolences.

Jed, It's alright, after years of constant and continued grief, we decided that Jesus was good to loan Danny to us and needed a good young man in Heavenly service.

True Grit Farms":2vbvcuow said:

Made a deal on my new truck yesterday. Local from Benny Boyd in lampasas. I'll have the new bed on by Monday. The bid I laid in front of them from Dave Smith saved me about 1700.00. I owe you a thanks.....so thanks grit.

callmefence":gmhchpyb said:
True Grit Farms":gmhchpyb said:

Made a deal on my new truck yesterday. Local from Benny Boyd in lampasas. I'll have the new bed on by Monday. The bid I laid in front of them from Dave Smith saved me about 1700.00. I owe you a thanks.....so thanks grit.

Your more than welcome, and I wish you the best of luck with your new truck. I like the color. :D

callmefence":adb47f7p said:
True Grit Farms":adb47f7p said:

I like it. What kind of bed are you going with?

Just a plain cm bed. I was going to put a deweze. With the plan of using the hydro pump to also run a hydraulic post driver.
The hydraulics on the deweze are much to slow. So that wont work. I imagine I'm going to have to buy a hydraulic power pack to run the equipment.

The truck does have the new aisin tranny that is equipment with a hydraulic pto. Idk.
Gonna have see if we can make it work.
Anyone familiar with this feature.

Latest posts