New Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
At age 72 I am well into a semi retirement mode. I still have 88 acres of mostly rolling to hilly but productive land, about 20 cows and maybe 20 ewes.
My old 3910 Ford still runs well but is in constant demand of having a part replaced due to its age. (Kind of like me)
I need a dependable tractor to put out 4X5 rolls in the winter and pull a 6 foot bush-hog in the summer.
It is just me using it, my son-in-laws are great but do not have time from their jobs to farm (they probably would never suit me anyway for they do not know the front of a cow from the back).
Any suggestions on a new tractor that would be easier to operate with less down time?
My Siverado 4X4 truck and Honda ATV are my mainstay for pulling a trailer and operating a small spray rig. A tractor as dependable as they have been would make life easier.

I have a 2706 MF, and does that well. If you can have a cab, that would be nice. I have to many trees for one but heat/ air and a radio would make tasks almost enjoyable!
Found it used a few years back. No def fluid, 4wd, loader.

I would look for a tractor that doesn't have all the computer software and features that you would probably never use. I would start looking at a Kabota for example if you want to buy new. Good used tractors around here are selling for more than what it cost the original owner when new, but that is just the inflation since then so may be a good purchase if in good condition and fair price.

We got John Deere 5055e 4wd with a front end loader few years ago. It's a very basic tractor, doesn't use DEF,
So far it's a good little tractor, I'm not doing any hay or pasture mowing with it just feeding hay and odd jobs around the farm. If I were mowing or haying the 5075 model would be needed for that.

If you have a Kubota dealer near you, I would recommend a Kubota. Mine and my father in law's family have had good service from the ones we have. If you want new, something like a 7060 would be a good size for what you are needing.

We got John Deere 5055e 4wd with a front end loader few years ago. It's a very basic tractor, doesn't use DEF,
So far it's a good little tractor, I'm not doing any hay or pasture mowing with it just feeding hay and odd jobs around the farm. If I were mowing or haying the 5075 model would be needed for that.
i have a 5065 i can pull my JD 4x5 SS easily with it. made 600 bales a year with it. the 5e series from deere is the best bang for the buck you will find IMO. big tires for the hills. i've had mine tipping sideways cuttin ky hillsides.

i have a 5065 i can pull my JD 4x5 SS easily with it. made 600 bales a year with it. the 5e series from deere is the best bang for the buck you will find IMO. big tires for the hills. i've had mine tipping sideways cuttin ky hillsides.
The man that does our hay has 2 5065 tractors and a 5075. He usually rolls with the 5075 but has used a 65.
The 75 turned over with him somewhere in the county a couple years ago.
I've gotten mine to tipping a few times but got out of the situation before it got worse.

I bet you wont buy a new one of any brand that will be as good as the 3910. I been raking hay today with a 3610. Less than gallon of fuel per hour.
I agree with Kenny. That 3910 is not replaceable by new. If you want a cab or a bigger tractor then try to find the best used one you can find. I have a 3600 that has around 7000 hours, does not use oil and still on the original clutch. You can run it from daylight to dark on 10 gallons of diesel. Also parts are not very expensive, plenty of used parts available and some good aftermarket parts available.

Last edited:
I have a 2706 MF, and does that well. If you can have a cab, that would be nice. I have to many trees for one but heat/ air and a radio would make tasks almost enjoyable!
Found it used a few years back. No def fluid, 4wd, loader.
I have the same tractor and as long as he only uses it for putting hay out and brush hog I think he will be ok. I have broke two main lift arms and one upper lift arm on mine. My clutch and pto isn't holding up well with only 900 hrs on it. The new stuff isn't built like the stuff 20 years old and older.

At age 72 I am well into a semi retirement mode. I still have 88 acres of mostly rolling to hilly but productive land, about 20 cows and maybe 20 ewes.
My old 3910 Ford still runs well but is in constant demand of having a part replaced due to its age. (Kind of like me)
I need a dependable tractor to put out 4X5 rolls in the winter and pull a 6 foot bush-hog in the summer.
It is just me using it, my son-in-laws are great but do not have time from their jobs to farm (they probably would never suit me anyway for they do not know the front of a cow from the back).
Any suggestions on a new tractor that would be easier to operate with less down time?
My Siverado 4X4 truck and Honda ATV are my mainstay for pulling a trailer and operating a small spray rig. A tractor as dependable as they have been would make life easier.
We're not far from the same age. I have a Kubota 70 horse 4WD with cab and air and a loader, bought it new about 12 years ago, has been pretty bullet proof. Cab and air are a huge benefit. My only complaint is they are a bit short wheel based so on really rough land it is equally rough to ride in but it is super dependable and has enough power to do about anything I want

I have the same tractor and as long as he only uses it for putting hay out and brush hog I think he will be ok. I have broke two main lift arms and one upper lift arm on mine. My clutch and pto isn't holding up well with only 900 hrs on it. The new stuff isn't built like the stuff 20 years old and older.

Bought mine used w/400+hrs at a dealer in 2017 with the remaining 4years of a 5 yr warranty when it was new. It was at the shop soon after purchase, but think the previous owner was at fault, due to the snap ring in the transmission. The shuttle shift isnt the best idea for a farm tractor. Otherwise , no issues so far at 1300+hrs. Wish the loader was a bit faster but it's done all I ask of it on our small farms. We cleared the properties after purchase. Now that the farms are set almost up, if I used it for more than gardens, feeding bales and bush hogging and driveway maintenance, I would have gone with more hp. Do you bale with this tractor? How did you break it?

Yeah, I like the 3910. I bought it used years ago and it had been left outside and done a lot of rough work before i got it.
It seems like any part with plastic or rubber involved is wearing out, but the tractor just keeps on running.
There is a good Kubota dealer nearby and a front end loader would be nice. I am tempted when I drive by but am hesitant to make a large commitment at this stage of my life.
Finding good "shade tree" farm mechanics, like finding large animal vets who make farm calls, is harder than it used to be. The option of keeping the old tractor running may still be the way I go.

Bought mine used w/400+hrs at a dealer in 2017 with the remaining 4years of a 5 yr warranty when it was new. It was at the shop soon after purchase, but think the previous owner was at fault, due to the snap ring in the transmission. The shuttle shift isnt the best idea for a farm tractor. Otherwise , no issues so far at 1300+hrs. Wish the loader was a bit faster but it's done all I ask of it on our small farms. We cleared the properties after purchase. Now that the farms are set almost up, if I used it for more than gardens, feeding bales and bush hogging and driveway maintenance, I would have gone with more hp. Do you bale with this tractor? How did you break it?
I was mostly cutting hay with it. Hay mower with its offset weight broke the lift arms. I have a Massey 271xe that I used to cut with and for 20 years I never had a problem with it breaking lift arms even though the lift arms are the exact size and length. I have a mower caddy now so no more broken lift arms. Not impressed with the pto either. Changed the hydraulic filter often and pto will still get weak at times. Give me a clutch driven pto over this hydraulic one any day. Only 900 hrs on the tractor and I bought it new. Just don't make things with quality steel anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_6844.jpeg
    IMG_6844.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6103.jpeg
    IMG_6103.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 7
Give me a clutch driven pto over this hydraulic one any day.

It has a hydraulic clutch pack to give you independent PTO power. This is the preferred setup, to go back to some 2-stage dry clutch system one would have to buy an old machine or hunt for some obscure model anymore.

99.9% of operators want a 100% independent wet clutch PTO.

Buying a new or nearly new tractor and taking care of it is really not all that expensive as the tractors lose very little value per year compared to a car or pickup. In this day and age of high inflation they almost stay the same value if just used for normal farm operations and kept out of the weather.
My 2008 Kubota 7040 is valued at only $10 -12000 less than what I paid for it new.

Latest posts