Navels not right on calves?? Whats Up

Help Support CattleToday:

smoky

Reaction score
I have a few calves this year (about 6 out of 30). which have very wasty pendulous navels that appear to be the result of the umbilical cord not drying properly, and the the skin just grows around it causing an unsightly pendulous navel, that is round shapded like a roll of quarters hanging straight down. It is similar looking to a hernia, but I don't think that is the case. Calves are all healthy.

I am beginning to wonder if my bull is genetically passing this trait on. However, this is his 3rd breeding season, and I don't remember this ever happening the past two breeding seasons. Bull is not Brahman influence, but most of the cows are. What makes me think that it is the bull is that about half of the calves are A.I. sired and I don't recollect that any of the AI calves are exhibiting this condition.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for any input.

Smoky

I cull on too much navel my self calves aways turn out poor doers. it could be a throwback on your brahman influenced cows no dought. the navel our sheath needs to start between the back legs and angle foward the heifers navel should be short and wrinkled looking not flat and hanging like a flag. is your bull registerd what breed is he?

ALACOWMAN,

Thanks for the reply. I am a registered Gelbvieh breeder and the bull is Gelbvieh. His sheath is fine. The brahman influence calves are the worst ones but the navels do not look like traditional bos indicus navels. These are hanging straight down and have something inside the skin, which I believe to be the cord. The best way I can describe it is like a "chicken neck" or a "roll of quarters".

I have never really iodined the navels because my Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh cross cows are such good mommas and they have always tended to them well.

The bull is a top quality bull and the past calves out of him have been nice, in fact I just AI'd a few of his daughters from last year. He is out with some of the cows now, and I sure hope that he is not the problem and I see another round of this next year.

It may take a couple of days, but I will try to take a few pics and post them.

Thanks for the info.

Smoky

Have you had your hands on the calves? what do the navels feel like?

I've had the occasional heifer calf that just ends up with a little bit of extra skin - empty, no infection now or then, just a little unsightly. I have no idea why it happens. Holstein or holstein cross heifer calves, so it is a little odd.

Well i didnt help much but ive seen calves that had some brahman in their background and the only sign was a ugly sheath seems beside the ears that the only thing that HANGS ;-) around genetic defect. most breeders like brangus and other bra influence breeder cull hard on the sheath or need too. . but notice the ones with the defect most are hard doers

If it's been a really wet calving season, you could be getting infections in the newborn's navels also. This will cause pendulous navels or what you're describing. Regardless, it is coming from the Brahman influence in the cows.

Have had the roll of quarters from time to time. Does seem to be associated with wet conditions. Seems like they cleared up over time.

What you are describing doesn't sound anything like pendulous sheaths from Brahman influence , it sounds like a naval infection. And if they have an infection, they may not be showing signs of being ill.
Iodine doesn't guarantee no infections, but it sure helps eliminate most of them.

Maybe the Brahman blood is getting the bad rap because the normal navel of a Brahman hangs down therefore making the condition more noticeable.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2bph9twg said:
What you are describing doesn't sound anything like pendulous sheaths from Brahman influence , it sounds like a naval infection. And if they have an infection, they may not be showing signs of being ill.
Iodine doesn't guarantee no infections, but it sure helps eliminate most of them.