Native Texas Bass

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Bad day in the neighborhood. My stockpond went dry, sorta surprised me cause it didnt dry up in 2011. It was dug and stocked back in the 60's by the previous landowner. These were native bass stockings, while they didnt reach the size of Florida bass or their crosses, they were much more aggressive. Its sad cause you cant find these fish anymore for restocking.

I understand your frustration. I feel the same about quail around here. The old Bob white that thrived for centuries was bred out by all the people releasing the smaller flightier bird everywhere. Now we don't have either and you can't find the native to restock with.

But for your situation, what about local ponds/rivers? Do it the old fashion way... it's slower but works.

Biggest fish I ever caught outa there was a bit over 7 pounds. You could catch a bunch of 3 to 4 pounders...I know because I spent a heckav a time running people outa there that wanted to have a fish fry for there family.. Everthing in our lakes and rivers are now Florida crosses... They make good fish , but they just arent as aggresive as the native fish were.

houstoncutter":c1db53gm said:
Biggest fish I ever caught outa there was a bit over 7 pounds. You could catch a bunch of 3 to 4 pounders...I know because I spent a heckav a time running people outa there that wanted to have a fish fry for there family.. Everthing in our lakes and rivers are now Florida crosses... They make good fish , but they just arent as aggresive as the native fish were.

I am pretty sure I know of a spring fed pond in one of my old hay field's full of them.

Caustic Burno":2b0w7l5a said:
houstoncutter":2b0w7l5a said:

I am pretty sure I know of a spring fed pond in one of my old hay field's full of them.

I'm on the way. :D

Caustic Burno":2fic4b4n said:
houstoncutter":2fic4b4n said:

If I ever get a good water level in this tank, I sure would like to talk you outa some of em for brood stock

houstoncutter":16v8pvzr said:
Caustic Burno":16v8pvzr said:
houstoncutter":16v8pvzr said:

If I ever get a good water level in this tank, I sure would like to talk you outa some of em for brood stock

They aint mine they belong to a little old lady down the road from me, place I used to bale.
Little clear water tank is full of fingerlings. I bet for 25 or 30 buck's she would let you throw your cast net till your arm wore out.