naming registered cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
How do you all go about naming calves from your registered stock> The Mrs. just had her first registered heifer calve last night. Had an 87# heifer, so she is pouring over the baby naming books.

We have gone different ways and seen different ways. Some name by country singers one year, jewels the next. Some go back on pedigrees and pick out a name, but put their name/ranch name before hand. You can also put their number with the name. We have done quite a few different ways, but the easiest to go by, AND the easier way for buyers to remember bloodlines is to go like this--for a bull, we usually take the sire's name (let's say Playboy) and we put our ranch name (C-C) infront of it, and then if we have enough room after, we try and put their Brand/Tatoo number on the name as well. So, last year we had C-C Playboy 314/4. Heifers we do about the same. If an animal shows to be superior, we may start a new line of names.

We usually incorporate the dam's name in the calves name.

For example:
SCL Davy Crockett--- his dams name is RR Crockett Sensation
SCL Summer's Sunshine --- her dams name is Summer

and so on......

but, you can do it anyway that you want

The SCL is the breeder's prefix.

I too had my first calf this year. I thought about it and decided to go with the letter of the year ('05-R, '06-S, etc), then I use the first name of the dam as the middle name of the calf. And I put my brand letters first too. This year Eileen of Volga had AA Raven Eileen. Next year Eileen of Volga will have AA Shiny Eileen. (Hopefully.) I haven't thought out the bull part yet, hopefully I won't have to.

I put my own spin on cow family names, or sometimes I come up with a totally new one. I love naming them. TSG Buckshot Tone, for example, was from the linebred Turner Ranch/Hazlett "Tone" family on the paternal side, and his maternal grandsire was a tremendous old bull named Buckshot. His full brother I named Muscle Tone. Another bull we named Tamerlane, after a Hereford bull in an old school reader. A show steer we raised was 3/4 Turner Ranch/Hazlett. We named him Turner Ranch Legacy. We always have the initials of my wife and I before the name.

I like to come up with random names that noone else will use. I also like to put my initials as a prefix:
RMC Red's Zipper
RMC Velcro
RMC Payper Klip
RC Lightbulb

We name in all kinds of ways.. some even pretty goofy.

Brahman breeders notoriously have number names.. which I've never figured out. ie: V8 143/100, with just the numbers changing according to the herd prefix and the cow number. Always that that was a waste of paper. Probably set the entire breed assocation on it's ear when we named one we sold to an animal trainer " SR Bolivar Shag Nasty".

some name them with a name starting with the letter for that year.

jt

This is interesting! Neat to see how other folks are picking names.
We have Piedmontese and went thru a phase where we were trying to pick Italian names. My brother uses family names! Gets confusing sometimes as to who the heck he is talking about, the cow or the person??? I usually try to combine the sire and dam somehow or make it relative to the pedigree. Our association asks that we include our herd prefix in the name either at the begining or end of the name.

In the females we use the cow family name with herd prefix and tattoo number, in the bulls we use the bloodline name with herd prefix and tattoo #. Sometimes use the dams herd # in with the name.

I use beer and liquors, Spanish names (since I breed Texas Longhorns and they are descended from Spanish stock), Native American names (I have Cherokee ancestry) and also song names.

I also often try to incorporate a name from the calf's pedigree ( one bull calf that I raised is from Wanted Man and Lady Firecracker so his name is BT Ladie's Man).

I sold one of my favorite heifers that I had named BT Whiskey Girl (Toby Keith), my first heifer that I bought was un named so I named her BT Corona, when she calved her bull calf was named BT Corona Extra.

I always put BT (farm name) in front of name. :D :D :D :D

I grew up on a dairy farm and we always named the calf a name that started with the same letter as the cow's name. (Abby's daughters were named Angie, Amy, Alice).
I've used that same approach with my beef cows-it makes it easy to keep track of cow families.
For their registered name I use my initials, plus part of the dam & sire's names.

We try to use the letter of the year as the beginning letter of the name preceeded by "Illini" which is the first name of the cattle company. This year we will try to find names that start with an "R". Also, since the Tarentaise breed is a French breed, we try for French names. This is followed by the ear tattoo. Example would be "Illini Renee R104"

i usually use the letter of the year that the tattoo supposed to have to name the animal like if this year 2005 we are supposed to use the letter R i would find a heifer name with that letter like
ROBIN
RIA
ROSA
ROSE
REATTA
just some name like that

its fun and allways keeps you guessin on a strange name

Latest posts