My cattle don't seem to like minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

What are others paying for Vita Ferm in their area? I have been paying 30-34 a bag depending on what product and where I buy it. In the last month all the local dealers have raised prices on Heat to 44-46 dollars a bag. I can still buy it from my old dealer in the Panhandle for 32 dollars with IGR and 30 without. I paid around 30 for the Concept Aid with Mag last winter. If they raise their prices in the 40's I will be changing brands. At today's cattle prices I can't afford prices in the mid 40's.

I'm paying $34.99 a bag and driving around 25 miles one-way to buy it. The good thing is there's a good buffet we stop at while in town.

Double R Ranch said:
When we were using Purina wind and rain we ended up with deficiencies. They wouldn't touch it.
When dramatic deficiencies were noticed we had to do something to get them back on track. We've used molasses tubs to get them back on track and finally found a place that can order Vitaferm for us. We are using the Vitaferm loose mineral vs the tubs as the tubs are EXTREMELY over priced to get in our area. Since putting the Vitaferm loose out they are consuming it at a reasonable rate and no deficiencies to date. Will not be using purina minerals again that for sure.

Double R, what were the deficiencies

TexasBred said:
Double R Ranch said:
When we were using Purina wind and rain we ended up with deficiencies. They wouldn't touch it.
When dramatic deficiencies were noticed we had to do something to get them back on track. We've used molasses tubs to get them back on track and finally found a place that can order Vitaferm for us. We are using the Vitaferm loose mineral vs the tubs as the tubs are EXTREMELY over priced to get in our area. Since putting the Vitaferm loose out they are consuming it at a reasonable rate and no deficiencies to date. Will not be using purina minerals again that for sure.

Double R, what were the deficiencies

Off the top of my head I can't really remember. I do remember the cattle got dull coats and their backs got red instead of black. We started having breeding issues (ai) with cattle that were normally easy breeder and once back on track they were easy again. Copper deficiency and selenium comes to mind. We had white muscle disease show up as well. Haven't had any since.

Latest posts