Morel Mushroom Hunting....

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
My mom and I are going this weekend to southern Mn. I will also watch for fiddle head ferns, but I am thinking it is too late for them. She is wondering if it is not too late for the mushrooms, but that is as soon as I can go. Has been wet enough here, but I am not sure if it has been warm enough ~ I think that that will hold them off. The lilacs are not open yet, and that is how we judge most often. It is a lllooooonnnnnggg drive, but worth it ~ even if we only find some. Prefer the yellows, but will take the greys for sure.

Anyone else do this?

I am interested in it. I've heard there are some good areas up here for Morels. Don't really know how to go about it. I have eaten the puffball type [don't know what else to call them]. When there day old white and firm. Slice and fry in butter, :nod: :nod:

I knowed that shroom tea was mighty good back in the day. Also the shrooms in a bean burrito was pretty good to. OOPS! did I say that out loud?

Central Fl Cracker":32bwo717 said:
I thought mushrooms would cause halucienations(sp)
Why else would I drive 2 hours to walk for hours and hours in a posted woods (j/k) (kinda), only to come home with a bread bag full!!

mnmt ~ you do have good areas up there. You should try them, there are few things better! Look it up on line. When the lilacs open, is a good time to go. I won;t bother telling you where to look as it seems to be regional. Neighbor guy finds them around here and has told me where, but I would never poach someone else's spot. I have looked EVERYWHERE!!!

Walt ~ maybe we talk funny, but I'm thinking you need to go look in the mirror (or at least on the pic thread again), you've got a monopoly on "look" and "smell" funny I am thinking :lol2:

People around here are so secretive about their mushroom hunting spots that they will drive around town for 1/2 hour just to make sure they're not being followed, up the mountain.

Well, we got the first mess of morels Mother's day weekend. They are late this year. Finally got enough moisture but we need more heat in the ground, been very cool here. Getting them on southern slopes so far. This will not be a bumper year but they should be popping in the next couple of days if we get the warm sun they are predicting.
Look near dead ash trees.... Also look for the fungus (don't know the name of it) that kinda grows like a shelf on trees, then make a circle out from that tree, you should find morels near by.
There is a landscape nursery that has started growing morels, they get $45. per pound.

Mushrooms are for hippies. :D I have them growing everywhere in the cow pies if you want them.

flaboy":2d40q999 said:
Mushrooms are for hippies. :D I have them growing everywhere in the cow pies if you want them.

I had a high school kid ask me about that last year and I hadn't the faintest notion what he was talking about. I had to ask Steve. He's my drug question go to guy. I fear he's been there and done that. :oops:

There are three things a Northern Minnesotan NEVER, EVER divulges;

Where they hunt morels

Where they pick blueberries

Where they catch fish

:secret:

MistyMorning":9bvwqpfz said:

Where they hunt morels

Where they catch fish

Around my place the morel poachers/trespassers are thicker than the deer poachers/trespassers. ... :mad:

Yawl be careful with them cow pattie mushrooms. I had a brother die from drinkin 'shroom tea. Don't know where he got them except from our place.

CKC1586":17fuzhnx said:
Around my place the morel poachers/trespassers are thicker than the deer poachers/trespassers. ... :mad:
If I had them on my land, I would shoot on sight!!

I have considered putting an ad in the paper looking for places ~ but worry some creepy guy will take me out to the woods for other than mushrooms. They are here, I just don't know where. I have looked. My family has looked, but people find them. As MM says, no one tells. Is like Leprachauns gold.

Speaking of secrets MM ~ you know where blue berries are?! I'll trade you your blueberry place for my wild asparagus one..... :nod:

MistyMorning":16h3tej2 said:

Where they hunt morels

Where they catch fish

In southern Indiana you can add to this the location of the ginseng patch.

angie":1dref1w4 said:
john250":1dref1w4 said:
In southern Indiana you can add to this the location of the ginseng patch.
What do you do with that?
Make a tea with it ~ yes?

Yes. Make tea. But most sell to root dealers. I understand the Chinese buy most of it, but I don't know if that is right. It's supposed to cure what ails you and in addition has power as an aphrodisiac.

Yes. Make tea. But most sell to root dealers. I understand the Chinese buy most of it, but I don't know if that is right. It's supposed to cure what ails you and in addition has power as an aphrodisiac.[/quote]

Well that's great. Just what we need; MORE CHINESE

I don't want nuttin to do with fungi of any shape, form, or fashion.

Besides, my wife keeps me in the dark and feeds me all the BS I can stand. :shock:

Latest posts