Morel Mushroom Hunting....

Help Support CattleToday:

Angie I have morels that grow in my back yard and also those fiddle head ferns are everywhere, what are they good for? I mow them.....I have quite a few different varietys of mushrooms here...hate them in my yard!!

Angie the Lilacs have come and gone now, I have Morchella (Morel) mushrooms around the tree base but always thought they were toadstools, and hacked them down. There are still a few left if I pick them how would I use them.????

Chrisy ~ pick them at the base ~ leave the bottom in the ground. Slice them in half length ways, they are hollow in the middle. Rinse them carefully (or not), sautee them in butter and eat them. There are few things better. Some people (my mother) dip them in flour first. That is nonsense.

Let me know what you think. Do it soon, they are best fresh, but good no matter what.

Almost forgot ~ just season with salt and pepper, anything else will over power.

5minpins":1zdqwxa8 said:
Angie I have morels that grow in my back yard and also those fiddle head ferns are everywhere, what are they good for? I mow them.....I have quite a few different varietys of mushrooms here...hate them in my yard!!
I am speechless......... :cry2:

I seriously had no clue what the heck the original post was about. It was 94 degrees here today (in cen TX). No one is thinking about hunting anything except AC. I work for the evil phone company. The only secret spots I have are the cleanest public crappers in the area.

Walt

I think it would be really fun to look for morels, but it's drier here and we only have field mushrooms and puffballs. As far as mushroom hunting being only for hippies :lol2: you might disagree if you had some sauteed in butter to go with a nice steak! mmmm

angie":2km7g0ua said:
5minpins":2km7g0ua said:
I am speechless......... :cry2:

One mans trash is another mans supper.

Angie the ferns you are refering to are they not poisonous? and are said to cause stomach cancer? what with Lye in fish and ferns you must have a real good constitution.

chrisy":16e0kolw said:
Angie the ferns you are refering to are they not poisonous? and are said to cause stomach cancer? what with Lye in fish and ferns you must have a real good constitution.

Chrisy, is that what they call it these days, a constitution? Humm, guess I will have to learn to say, "hey nice constitution you got there", or "constitibonk". :lol:

flaboy":26fvqhsj said:
chrisy":26fvqhsj said:

Chrisy, is that what they call it these days, a constitution? Humm, guess I will have to learn to say, "hey nice constitution you got there", or "constitibonk". :lol:

why aint you got a nice strong stomach?, have you not heard the saying 'A constitution of an Ox' meaning you can eat anything and not get sick?.

chrisy":2rau9yws said:
Gosh Chrisy ~ I hope they are not poisonous......
Of course that may explain a few things.....

Nah ~ if you pick them while they are still in a rolled up ball and you steam them. If you like asparagus ~ you will love them.

The Blacks and spikes
Commonly Referred Name: Blacks, Spikes, Peckerheads, Cows' Heads, Dog peckers
Given scientific name: Morchella semilibera, angusticeps, elata, conica, deliciosa

:shock: :???: You all have some funny names for your mushrooms
:lol2: :lol2: :banana:

They must be really tasty because they sure don't look very appetizing.... :(

Latest posts