Hunting land prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Here 25 acres sure isn't anything to hunt on. That would be a building lot. Bare 5 acre lots in my old neighborhood were $100,000. They could be backed up to huge areas of state or timber company land and they would sell the same. Here 25 acres of brushy or treed land will run about $50,000 +.

I am surprised at the prices being suggested - not doubting them. In Kentucky hill country, you can buy decent cattle land for 2 to 3 K per acre. Cut over timber with poor access, no utilities or public water is not only cheap, but actually difficult to sell.

Don't really understand the significance of the term "hunting land". Isn't all land hunting land? The way I see it, outside of urbanized areas it's either cropland or (cut over or not) timberland, all of which are hunting land. Hunting land, I think is a realtor term used for snagging unsophisticated buyers.

ga.prime":19l5eoq6 said:
Don't really understand the significance of the term "hunting land". Isn't all land hunting land? The way I see it, outside of urbanized areas it's either cropland or (cut over or not) timberland, all of which are hunting land. Hunting land, I think is a realtor term used for snagging unsophisticated buyers.

Marginal land is marketed here as "Hunting Land". It is characterized as usually rocky, rough, cut-over woods, with cedars, scrubs, locusts, etc. Fences are ancient. No utilities, etc. In essence, land that would cost too much to put into production. So realtors market it under the heading of "hunting land". Locals won't touch it but as you say, it might snag the unsophisticated buyer.

TexasBred":27ogtcii said:
kenny thomas":27ogtcii said:
I looked at some property today and wondering what it's worth around your area.
25 acres, 1250ft to 1400ft elevation, 10 year cutover hardwoods came back real good. Stream along one side maybe 2/3 of the boundary. Lots of deer, Turkey, and bear sign. Off road but easily accessably even in wet weather with a 4x4. Biggest draw is its 200yds from Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. What's it worth in your area?
KT is this for hunting only or do you have plans to build on it and turn it into a homestead or maybe just hold and resell.
This is classified by me as hunting land because it is 10 year old cutover. It is growing very good yellow poplar but wont be ready to harvest in my lifetime. No utilities available. As to right of way Jogee, in VA you cannot be landlocked. If the right of way is questioned or disputed a judge decides and it goes in the deed.

SmokinM":12007ofl said:
Dang Kenny that's a steal and a good investment for sure if it has a right of way. Timber will be worth that in a few years. I would be all over it. $2-8k an acre here a few hours east of you. Mineral rights go with it? On a side note doing any good bear hunting? They are like rabbits up here. Treeing 3-4 a day.
Mineral rights are with it but timber won't be ready,for 40 years.
Treed 1 today. Bad day, real foggy. Been seeing 3-5 bear a day.

kenny thomas":2j6qvnek said:
TexasBred":2j6qvnek said:
kenny thomas":2j6qvnek said:
I looked at some property today and wondering what it's worth around your area.
25 acres, 1250ft to 1400ft elevation, 10 year cutover hardwoods came back real good. Stream along one side maybe 2/3 of the boundary. Lots of deer, Turkey, and bear sign. Off road but easily accessably even in wet weather with a 4x4. Biggest draw is its 200yds from Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. What's it worth in your area?
KT is this for hunting only or do you have plans to build on it and turn it into a homestead or maybe just hold and resell.
This is classified by me as hunting land because it is 10 year old cutover. It is growing very good yellow poplar but wont be ready to harvest in my lifetime. No utilities available. As to right of way Jogee, in VA you cannot be landlocked. If the right of way is questioned or disputed a judge decides and it goes in the deed.

The law is the same here. I'm looking at some land along a river but there is no access since families have carved up the property. Price is right but like you say, judge has to decide it and getting it before a judge will be a fight and will be costly which I think is why the price on the land is right I just don't know if the fight is worth it.

55 acres across the road from us brought $2K an acre. It's solid blackjacks with an old run down house and a couple run down sheds. There is a water well, but the water is really hard. No ponds or running water, fences bad on 3 sides, just fair on the 4th. One side fronts a blacktop county road. If it had been cleared, with decent fences, it MIGHT have brought that just because of the smaller acreage, if it had been much bigger more like $1600 to maybe $1800. No mineral rights included.

Guy that owned it was on disability, lived in an old mobile home there, very rarely saw him. First I knew it was for sale I saw a sign from real estate agency that specializes in hunting properties - I went by and talked to him, he said they were asking $2k an acre. I told him I'd give him $1k an acre, $5k today and the rest as soon as the title work was done, he said if they can't sell it in 30 days I'll take it. It sold in less than 2 weeks.

DLD":2tfcqx0q said:
55 acres across the road from us brought $2K an acre. It's solid blackjacks with an old run down house and a couple run down sheds. There is a water well, but the water is really hard. No ponds or running water, fences bad on 3 sides, just fair on the 4th. One side fronts a blacktop county road. If it had been cleared, with decent fences, it MIGHT have brought that just because of the smaller acreage, if it had been much bigger more like $1600 to maybe $1800. No mineral rights included.

Guy that owned it was on disability, lived in an old mobile home there, very rarely saw him. First I knew it was for sale I saw a sign from real estate agency that specializes in hunting properties - I went by and talked to him, he said they were asking $2k an acre. I told him I'd give him $1k an acre, $5k today and the rest as soon as the title work was done, he said if they can't sell it in 30 days I'll take it. It sold in less than 2 weeks.

That is a perfect description of what I see in this county. It stays on the market for several months. It usually sells when they get down to about $1200 acre. The problem with the properties like you describe is the cost of putting them into production:
1. Grading and clearing including renovating pasture.
2. Utilities. Electric/water. Watering stations.
3. Infrastructure for feed, housing equipment, roads, etc.
4. Fencing.

How do I know? I did it. I bought these 80 acres for 1K per acre. I bought a Cat D3G and cleared and graded for infrastructure. I have put $25,000 in fencing. If it was not for the cost share program, I would be under water.

Bright Raven":2h85irq7 said:
DLD":2h85irq7 said:

That is a perfect description of what I see in this county. It stays on the market for several months. It usually sells when they get down to about $1200 acre. The problem with the properties like you describe is the cost of putting them into production:
4. Fencing.

How do I know? I did it. I bought these 80 acres for 1K per acre. I bought a Cat D3G and cleared and graded for infrastructure. I have put $25,000 in fencing. If it was not for the cost share program, I would be under water.
If it wasn't for the cost share you wouldn't have $25k in fencing. It's easy to spend someone else's money, but sure sucks to owe someone something, especially when you can't pay them back.

True Grit Farms":3nuqgtum said:
Bright Raven":3nuqgtum said:
DLD":3nuqgtum said:

4. Fencing.

If it wasn't for the cost share you wouldn't have $25k in fencing. It's easy to spend someone else's money, but sure sucks to owe someone something, especially when you can't pay them back.

Yes. I think I would have. If you saw the area around my farm, you don't want to go looking for cattle out in that.

Your good fence won't keep your cows in if you don't take care of them. The trick to keeping cows in is, feed, water and keeping them bred. There's a few of us that manage using only one strand of hot wire spaced on 45' foot centers and our cows stay where they belong, it's really not that hard.

True Grit Farms":1z3x90ur said:
Your good fence won't keep your cows in if you don't take care of them. The trick to keeping cows in is, feed, water and keeping them bred. There's a few of us that manage using only one strand of hot wire spaced on 45' foot centers and our cows stay where they belong, it's really not that hard.

Vince, not trying to argue, but I have hotwire and the deer and limbs falling on it is a nuisance.

Bright Raven":2zk9htgb said:
True Grit Farms":2zk9htgb said:

Vince, not trying to argue, but I have hotwire and the deer and limbs falling on it is a nuisance.
I have 10 times the deer you do and very little fencing problems with them. Limbs and trees are definitely a problem, but my cows won't walk through where a tree has fallen on a wire. With all the snapping and popping they know it could be them. After hurricane Irma and spending less than a hour cutting trees and replacing insulators for my electric, and then spending 2+ days patching and splicing barbed wire, screw barbed wire it's HT from now on around here.

Made a deal on this property today for $340 an acre. Wife hasn't seen it and may not want too. Guess I will at least drive here to it just in case something happens to me

True Grit Farms":3vp3a2et said:

That's just being a irresponsible slob grit. To the point I don't hardly believe you. Anybody that's been around cattle more than three days knows better. If you are telling the truth I would suggest you stop galavanting around the country and build some proper fence before something bad happens.

callmefence":g2ues2pp said:
True Grit Farms":g2ues2pp said:

That's just being a irresponsible slob grit. To the point I don't hardly believe you. Anybody that's been around cattle more than three days knows better. If you are telling the truth I would suggest you stop galavanting around the country and build some proper fence before something bad happens.
I can agree with your assessment, but don't doubt me, I'm a rigger from way back. I'm just passing on that training cattle to a hot wire can be done with excellent results. I only have about 1/2 a mile left to add two wires too, and that should make my perimeter fence like Fort Knox. Even my Beefmaster cows have never got out....yet.

My old fence.

My new fence.

True Grit Farms":396vzfrg said:
callmefence":396vzfrg said:
True Grit Farms":396vzfrg said:

I can agree with your assessment, but don't doubt me, I'm a rigger from way back. I'm just passing on that training cattle to a hot wire can be done with excellent results. I only have about 1/2 a mile left to add two wires too, and that should make my perimeter fence like Fort Knox. Even my Beefmaster cows have never got out....yet.

My old fence.

My new fence.

I personally would sure cut corners on a drill are a bull before I would what keeps it all in.

I just wish highgrit would swing by and have a talk with you. I liked that cat , he had sense.

Latest posts