More @$%#^@%#$ Snow

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":3m2j9voh said:
cfpinz, are you ready for the next ft. of snow? I think we will get rain again. :)

About as ready as I'm gonna get. One of the local contractors (and the best neighbor we've ever had) called me this evening, he uses a 50hp or so Kubota to push snow with on his large jobs but he's ran out of room to put snow and the piled up crap is too heavy for his tractor to move. Old Blue has made me some friends this winter, I've seen some pretty happy faces when he comes chugging up their drive.

The snow has moved a couple things from my "wants" list to my "needs" list. As soon as I can get a couple cows out of here, they're going to buy me two Detroit lockers for my truck!

I may never wish weather on anyone else again. Wanted to send it to So. Mo., and ended up sending it to Va. and kept too much for myself. Temp is zero this morn at five, three calves last nite, two in barn, one outside. Send some of that warm south wind up here and I'll quit sending snow. gs

It's supposed to perhaps snow here Tue-Wed!!! I gotta go get supplies,supposed to have a bit of sunshine today,with a high of 47f,wind chill in the 20sf.. I'm such a wuss,I couldn't stand even one day in the snow with y'all.

plumber_greg":8zlq6kmd said:
I may never wish weather on anyone else again. Wanted to send it to So. Mo., and ended up sending it to Va. and kept too much for myself. Temp is zero this morn at five, three calves last nite, two in barn, one outside. Send some of that warm south wind up here and I'll quit sending snow. gs
:( I think we must have used all of that up last year. 37 here this morning.

It sure is nice here this winter. January was the warmest January on record. It has been just as warm so far this month. Highes running in the low 50's and lows in the 40's. And I am only about a 2-3 hour drive south of the Canadian border. Our normal rainfall for the year to this date would be about 9.5 inches and we have only had 7.5 inches so far. So it has been dryer too. I hate to see everyone else get this bad weather but I do love watching the jet stream split before it gets to me.

Well the neighbor who took the time to measure it said we got 28 inches, power went out Friday evening, came back on last night, its so deep I can only move it going down hill, only got stuck once so far, packed under the tractor till all 4 wheels were off the ground, trees down every where, of coarse it seemed like most of them fell across the driveway. Cable broke on the shuttle shift, now have change it with a pry bar under the tractor, new cable might get here Friday, went down to get the FIL's tractor, battery dead, he has no loader on it, so only can use the blade on the 3 point hitch, picked up some sort of stomach bug Friday, threw up what I ate for 2 days, so I more or less quit eating Sat/Sun. Just started snowing again, 12/18 more inches for tonight and tomorrow. Anybody looking for a few semi secluded acres in VA, in exchange for anything down south, PLEASE CALL. :)

snow7.jpg

rockett2222 and cfpinz, we sent saw crews and overhead teams to your areas today. More to come tomorrow. I think I may bring some crews next week also. We have several dozers that may come also. We still have not got any snow here. Good luck digging out.

kenny thomas":3et79xsl said:
rockett2222 and cfpinz, we sent saw crews and overhead teams to your areas today. More to come tomorrow. I think I may bring some crews next week also. We have several dozers that may come also. We still have not got any snow here. Good luck digging out.

Thanks Kenny, Luray may have it worst than we do, wife said she heard they moved the National Guard in today to help out. Got the last of the neighbors out today who wanted to leave before this next snow, stopped to tell them this was my last pass, I had no more room to push snow, they could get out, but probably wouldn't make it back up their hill, before I'd got to the bottom of the driveway they were right behind be in their suv. I think most of them would stay if they knew the power would stay on.

So far the big snow event today has thankfully been a let-down. It'll snow for awhile, then take a break and sleet for awhile. Then it'll take another break and snow some more. I was expecting much worse.

Yall got much today, rocket?

cfpinz":2zx1hltc said:
So far the big snow event today has thankfully been a let-down. It'll snow for awhile, then take a break and sleet for awhile. Then it'll take another break and snow some more. I was expecting much worse.

Started snowing about 5.30, got 3 inches so far.

rocket2222":2um02x14 said:
cfpinz":2um02x14 said:

Started snowing about 5.30, got 3 inches so far.

I'm guessing we got around 4 to 5 inches, but the wind has picked up so much we've got 2'+ drifts in the driveway. There were times this morning when I couldn't see one of the trucks for the wind gusts, it was 50' from the house. Here at work the wind is nonexistent.

cfpinz":3q1e2a1s said:
I'm guessing we got around 4 to 5 inches, but the wind has picked up so much we've got 2'+ drifts in the driveway. There were times this morning when I couldn't see one of the trucks for the wind gusts, it was 50' from the house. Here at work the wind is nonexistent.

Kind of like this, driveway's there somewhere. Thankfully didn't amount to anything here either, maybe 5 inches.

IMG_319511.jpg

Angus Cowman":2vx34m99 said:
Don't blame me for the snow you guys are getting I just put a hex on N Missouri I didn't say anything about you guys in the east
or in Arkansas

Ha! you got be waaaay more careful with those hex's. Please. :)

I told AC not to use that one that smokes that herbal stuff and drinks that popskull of her own making.She sometimes goes a little overboard.

The 5" or so of sleet and wet snow we got last night wasn't bad. But the hurricane force winds we had today, and are still having, really turned into a pain in the ass. Took me 3 hours to get my truck up the driveway. And mind you, it's not one of those palacial estate drives with a guarded entrance like old dun has. It's a measely 1/4 to 1/2 mile long driveway. There were 3 to 4 foot drifts of powdered ice and snow, real fun stuff. My 7710 Ford 4wd wouldn't drive thru it, and it filled back in where I scraped in a matter of minutes.

Latest posts