Snow

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to snow. It's May 9th. This is the latest I've ever seen snow on the ground, and I have lived in Maine. It's pretty wild.

Changing the tarps in the ditch was a lot of fun this morning. Nothing like sticking your hands in the water while it is 35 and raining. I will get feeling back in my fingers eventually.
Tulips blooming in the flower bed. Apple tree in full bloom. And snow on the hill just behind the house. Got to love spring in eastern Oregon. I bet the 200 cow/calf pairs on that hill are real happy this morning.

P5082886.JPGP5082887.JPGP5082888.JPG

@Silver .....Do you often get snow like that in May???Calves look good but I bet they aren't happy with the snow....
We had some frost last night... 28 here... was cold and wet for last 3 days... just raw out there. 69 today and supposed to be mid and upper 70's this week...

@Silver .....Do you often get snow like that in May???Calves look good but I bet they aren't happy with the snow....
We had some frost last night... 28 here... was cold and wet for last 3 days... just raw out there. 69 today and supposed to be mid and upper 70's this week...
It doesn't happen often but it isn't uncommon.

I would rather have Silver's problem then yours Vette. Other than the fact we have no grass to speak of this cool spring has been nice. Going to make what was already going to be a tight hay crop that much worse.

@1982vett -its looking like 2011 with the 70+ 100 degree days all over again. Weather guy said we're actually hotter earlier than in 2011. This summer may be really bad.

And yet, we broke down & turned on the AC yesterday. Sweatshirts & parkas last week, 90's this week.
Yep. A/C on yesterday for the first time here in NE TX. Around 10/15 we light the woodstove. The cycle continues. Better go split me some more wood.

I would rather have Silver's problem then yours Vette. Other than the fact we have no grass to speak of this cool spring has been nice. Going to make what was already going to be a tight hay crop that much worse.
It has been reasonably cool till the past few days. As it seems we always are, behind on rainfall. Got an inch of rain last week that helps a lot. Grass is good for now, but thin.

Just now (5:45 AM) a few flakes were sifting out of the sky. No build up on the ground. No Idea how much is supposed to fall or for how long.

@1982vett -its looking like 2011 with the 70+ 100 degree days all over again. Weather guy said we're actually hotter earlier than in 2011. This summer may be really bad.
2012 was bad for us. I remember one day in June the bank sign said 110 so I took a picture of it. Drove by later and it was 2-3 degrees more. Didn't bother to take that one. However, it faired up slightly later in the summer. August is always way worse than June but not in '12.

Rancher...I'm curious what it's like ranching near Fairbanks and your operation (what you're doing)...how do the seasons go for haying-feeding your cattle and such. Do you import feed? Are there big sale barns for cattle?
22 hours of sunlight. Wet and staying that way. Everything grows like wildfire. They used to stack a lot of hay. Haven't been around it in decades. You definitely have a calving season.

Rancher...I'm curious what it's like ranching near Fairbanks and your operation (what you're doing)...how do the seasons go for haying-feeding your cattle and such. Do you import feed? Are there big sale barns for cattle?
Brutal this winter/spring. Normally it's just tough as each season has special hardships. No sale barns here, only two usda slaughter houses. We have to market our own way. I sell beef grass fed by the hanging half each fall. Also I sell breeding stock (Angus) and now and then steers to 4H kids to show at our fair. No import feed, I raise my own hay, Brome and Timothy, and sell surplus to horsey people. I get two cuttings a season

Latest posts