Moms a brangus. What is she. Angus and jersey bull was nearby

Help Support CattleToday:

If mom was a true black Brangus and dad was a true black Angus I would expect the calf to be more solid black but I've never seen any thing bred to a Jersey. The lighter brown and striping coming thru reminds me of when you outcross to another breed... not Brangus bred back to Angus unless there are red genes floating around some where.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Jersey in that calf. Like Brute23 said unless there is red carriers in the Angus and Brangus the calf should be black either from Angus or Jersey. I have had several Jersey crosses and out of black crosses they come out dark brown and eventually get darker. This year we ended up with a commercial black heifer being bred to the neighbors Jersey bull. The cow must have been a red carrier because the calf is a light brownish with distinctive Jersey features like dished face, black nose and tail switch. Here is our Jersey x commercial black Angus

Looks like she's a little brindled..is the Brangus cow a F1 Brangus? Jersey do produced brindled calves if a cow is red or red carrier. Unless the Brangus cow is a F1 and an Angus bull is a red carrier, they can produce a brindled calf as well.

Muddy said:
Looks like she's a little brindled..is the Brangus cow a F1 Brangus? Jersey do produced brindled calves if a cow is red or red carrier. Unless the Brangus cow is a F1 and an Angus bull is a red carrier, they can produce a brindled calf as well.
The cow is not an f1 but that cAlf looked exactually like a jersey calf when born. Just started to turn brindle as she got older and she'd winter coat

MissouriMeadows said:
the brindle in the calf is a tell tale of the jersey influence I would say.
Not always, Brahmans and brahman influenced are known for throwing brindled calves when they are bred to red or red carrier..

I see no Jersey features, am no expert, but have had jersey cross angus and seen some other crosses?

Top of head beef shape
Snout looks beef
Chest and ribs look beef
Rear looks beef
No tell tale pins

How is rump from rear ? Seems rounded and beefy I bet.

I dont see Jersey in there. The head shape looks beef. Angus can be heterozygous black/red and produce either red or black calves.

greggy said:
I see no Jersey features, am no expert, but have had jersey cross angus and seen some other crosses?

Top of head beef shape
Snout looks beef
Chest and ribs look beef
Rear looks beef
No tell tale pins

How is rump from rear ? Seems rounded and beefy I bet.
Yes she looks beefy from the rear. Attached are pics of her and dam early on.

Those pics make me think twice, only due to face.

I have a hereford looking calf, she came from a black cow, but I could see a red tinge in the cow on certain light angles....father hereford, so instead of a black baldie look, she came out looking hereford, so there was a red gene there is my understanding.

My Angus/Jersey was nearly completely black, a couple of very small white flecks ....

I would not worry, if your going to sell, the look is beef, and my experience is look is more important, most would pass off a dairy cross as pure beef if given the chance, I seen plenty doing that when the calf does not look so beefy :)

Latest posts