Minor Breeds on Commerical Operations

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":1afkzf46 said:
What a miserable existence having to raise what someone else deems acceptable as opposed to what you personally prefer. I can't imagine any part of my life being governed in that manner.
Then your life has been a gifted one that is not similar to the life that most cattlemen face.
Cattle are for money. Keep a handfull of what you really want and sell the rest and replace them with something profitable.

TexasBred":1v4xor2b said:
Taurus":1v4xor2b said:
TexasBred":1v4xor2b said:
There are good cattle in every breed, but I refer you back up to pdfangus' post. I'd grow what sells best in my market....not because I necessarily love that type cattle but because buyers do.
Like I said its not for everybody but we can get away with crossbreeding them with the top breeds. I can get solid black calves out of them and the buyers don't know that they are out of a beltie or a saler or Galloway cow.
Your growing what they want Taurus. Way to go. :nod:
Yup! All I need is a good purebred black angus bull and keep replacements out of best cows (mainly angus cows). I want FAT paycheck from salebarn, otherwise my herd's full of belted cows if I do it for fun.

Massey135":33wp8w27 said:
What a miserable existence having to raise what someone else deems acceptable as opposed to what you personally prefer. I can't imagine any part of my life being governed in that manner.
That's probably what your dad kept telling himself and why he's in San Diego.

Galloway2":3dcy2e1a said:
The Galloway breed is starting to see a high demand for females both fullbloods and it's crosses. Easy keeping moderate framed maternal cows that will eat just about anything. The Galloway will improve carcass quality and YG. The Galloways do have some hurdles to jump, one being the stereotype that with the hair they can't survive down South. We have commercial herds in N. Mexico, OK, and Texas, and the Galloways are working just fine. I am talking about the solid colored Galloways. I agree there are some good belted cattle, but with the solid cattle (different herdbook / bloodlines) you don't have to worry about the stripe showing up.

It is a stereotype that dark and long-haired cattle are hotter? Sure, if survival is your goal, they can "do fine".

I was reading this the other day. Maybe you need to straighten these guys out.

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

calfbuyer":v4e8nly2 said:
Cattle "BUSINESS" is just like any other business that sells a product to a consumer. You have to produce a product or commodity that they are willing to buy. If you are into cattle for profit then you need to take to town what they want to buy. If they decide that they want them purple and yellow poka dotted then that's what i will raise. All I know is that at the local barn if you have a big stout, big boned, big assed, big topped, black or black baldie calf he will bring top dollar, so that's what i try to raise in my commercial herd. It really doesn't matter how he's bred as long as he fits that description.

Now I am a lot like Dave on the ones that I trade on. My calves that i bought and have on grass right now are not market toppers, they are not even good cattle but they are gainers and if the market will hold for a couple more weeks, Ill be in grinnin from ear to ear.

You don't have to just sell what people want. If you like growing purple cattle, you just have to do the marketing and convince people they are better, just as many are now convinced black angus (and now black limousin, simmental, etc) are better than the red varieties.

Granted, it takes work to do marketing, but you are not completely subject to the wants of others.

I don't think its a myth. I hope Dijnwa post some more. The black hide may not be the wreck some think but i would say it makes a difference.

I believe its the food intake which is responsible for heat stress in the cattle. The feedlots lost not only blacks but other colored cattle as well.

Salers have a bad reputation on dispostion which came from the 80's and early 90's. This pretty much ruined the breed all through the 90's and early 2000's. Whats left is the best of the best as only the nice dispostioned cows and bulls survived. There really isn't a single breed that can surpass them on longevity and by that I mean weaning a 650lb calf well into 12 years of age. They have been documented to keep their teeth longer than other breeds thus their longevity to wean big calves well into their latter years. They might be the industrys best kept secret. Love and peace, Garret

Taurus":4drbdi8g said:
Anyways if anyone want continue the heat stress debate please start a new thread thank you
You said it was a myth adding to the heat stress question. You are the one that needs to start a new thread just to back up that statement.

Ive been doing the hard way for years. I would have made so much more money if id just bought some hairy galloway cattle. They wean the biggest calves, birth the smallest calves, dont eat, cold or heat dosnt bother them, they grade the best, theres never been a mean one, if you dont believe me post any question .you can thing and the answer will be galloway

salebarn junkie":17wo7gko said:
Ive been doing the hard way for years. I would have made so much more money if id just bought some hairy galloway cattle. They wean the biggest calves, birth the smallest calves, dont eat, cold or heat dosnt bother them, they grade the best, theres never been a mean one, if you dont believe me post any question .you can thing and the answer will be galloway

I wouldn't say never. :D

Galloway2":zhz8ozng said:
salebarn junkie":zhz8ozng said:

a real good cattleman in our area, swears the meat is some of the best

ALACOWMAN":1iqtu30g said:
Galloway2":1iqtu30g said:
salebarn junkie":1iqtu30g said:

a real good cattleman in our area, swears the meat is some of the best

I know salebarn junkie was being sarcastic. That's fine, it is still a free country. The post asked for commercially viable Minor Breeds, and I believe Galloway is one of theose breeds.

No, Galloways do not birth the smallest, but they are low to moderate BW cattle. No, Galloways don't wean the biggest, but they will wean a high % of the cows body weight, on poorer quality feedstuffs. At MARC Galloways had the highest calf survival rate from birth to weaning, that equals $$. That was using mostly 1960-1970 model bulls.

Galloways are very adaptable, so "can be heat tolerant, and are very winter hardy."

Thery are also very feed effecient, and have high quality carcasses.

IMO- this make Galloway a viable breed to be used in a commercial operation.

HOSS":3il58n02 said:
Awhile back somebody on here posted some Red Poll sired calves that were really nice. I have seen some really nice Red Poll cattle. I hear they make good mommas and are very moderate in frame size.

You mean like this one? He is 6 months old

BullR1201pic2.jpg

Looking forward to our first batch of Red Poll sired calves next spring - the cows are red angus and a few red angus x simmi. I'm hoping to reduce frame size some and increase efficiency on our grass finished beef while still cashing in on hybrid vigor.

Latest posts