Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I am currently feeding pasture grass, no other hay. Also supply granulated salt, Purina Emerald with IGR free choice. I have also supplied Crystalyx (220lb. tub) which is now all licked up. The cost of the Crystalyx tub is $100.00 a tub, Will the cattle be getting enough mineral if I suspend the Crystalyx ? Thanks Tom :cboy:

IF they are eating the mineral at the recommended level they should be getting all the vitamins and minerals they need. Even if they overeat the mineral it is still the best buy over feeding the tub.

I also put out Purina Emerald and do not use a tub. They go through about 1 bag a week and I have about 65 cows including young calves. The Altosid does real good on the fly's.

Last tub of Mineralyx I bought was about $85 for a 250 lb tub.

I have also tried the loose mineral but it seems to really cake up in the damp weather. The tubs may be a bit more expensive but all of the cattle seem to get what they need. Even the calves are at the tub regularly. Coats look good, no problems calving etc.

Mineralyx has a very good range of ingredients. It may be one of those things that are worth what they cost.

Prices on everything are going up - extremely fast. Unbelievable the price increases I am seeing.

Corn price is over $7 today meaning every bag of feed will cost more. I intend to cut purchased feed prices and go just straight grass plus the mineralyx and a salt block. Grain will be only an occasional treat to keep them trained.

Central Fl Cracker":1g5vxsus said:
rk":1g5vxsus said:
Purina doesn't make Emerald. It's Cargill.
Your so right I do think Purina owns Cargill or vice versa?

Everyone has owned Purina at one time or another it seems. Presently owned by Land O'Lakes yet the Checkerboards keep slowing up. Cargill is not related in anyway, is a much larger company and moves much more feed than Purina.

dun":vckg55g1 said:
Does Purina still own pizza hut and colonel chicken?
Unless it was before Pepsico (Pepsi) owned them. Several years ago Pepsico spun them off. They are now a part of YUM Brands made up of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucy Fried Chicken, Long John Silver's, A&W Resturants.

Cargill and Purina are totally different companies....in the United States. Outside of the U.S., Cargill owns Purina.

Ralston sold Purina Mills in 1986. PMI has had a series of owners since then. There is no connection between Ralston and PMI. Cargill owns Agribrands, which is the Purina brand making animal nutrition products.

rk..gotcha..I knew about the PMI/Ralston split years ago as well as PMI's many owners . Just wasn't aware that Cargill owned the overseas operations of PMI. Cargill is a huge company..... worldwild. Very interesting reading the history of the company.

Thanks everyone for the information and advise. I still have one more cow to calve (we call her Fatso). She was pastured with the bull when I bought her. The latest possible calving date would be July 27. All my cows and calves are in good condition and I did not want Fatso to be deprived of the Feeds and Minerals that the other cows enjoyed. Again Thank you, Tom :cboy:

bambi_boy":mybf11q9 said:
The Altosid does real good on the fly's

what is Altosid, what is it in? Having a horrible fly season.

ALtosid is an "Insect Growth Regulator" that is in some minerals. It prevents the flay larvae from maturing into adults. It's a feedthrough product.

Latest posts