Minerals for hereford cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

wvcowgirl

Reaction score
Has anyone used the "Right Now Mineral"? I am raising Hereford cattle for beef and I am trying to decide which minerals would be best to use.

they say its good but it should be for what it costs. LOL You really need to find soembody around you and ask them...you dont say where your from but if wv means west Virgina ask closer to you. Just because its good for that Texas cowboy dont mean its good for you..the whole world dont spin around texas..just dont try telling that to them LOL

I am located in West Virginia. I have asked around but there are not many people close to where I live that have cattle. Just a few small farms. Most people just keep cattle to keep down the brush. We have always had cattle but never fed any type of minerals. Just salt, trace mineral blocks and mag blocks in the spring. I have had a few cows not breed back until late and people have told me to feed minerals, but never exactly what type and when. I guess everyone has there own opinion. I just would like to know what would be best for my cattle. It seems everytime I ask I get a confused look, and everyone thanks I am confused because I am a blonde. HA HA :lol:

wvcowgirl":321lendp said:
Has anyone used the "Right Now Mineral"? I am raising Hereford cattle for beef and I am trying to decide which minerals would be best to use.

I use Vitaferm Cow-Calf 5. I've had better luck with calf vitality and rebreeding since I switched from what the feed store bags. Whether that is related to the mineral, I don't know. The cows like it and eat it, which is more than I can say for what I used to use.

We have used "Right Now" in the past, but it's rather expensive.
I am now using a brand that's equivelant to Purina 12-12 Wind and Rain formula.The difference in price.....right now was 18.95 a bag, and this is 12.00 a bag. Getting the same results. Best thing to do would be go to the feed store and ask what they carry. Most of the name brand companies mix their mineral to suit the area it's bein sold in. Different feed stores carry different brands. So shop around. Compare the tags to see what the difference is in ingredients. Most feed stores will be happy to let you tear off a tag for comparison.

wvcowgirl":1qkkgqk7 said:

Cargill has some very good mimerls. Onyx is the one we use to help us get a good AI percent. also make sure cows are in a body score of 5 or better also how old are they.
okgril

tapeworm":w1ex1off said:
they say its good but it should be for what it costs. LOL You really need to find soembody around you and ask them...you dont say where your from but if wv means west Virgina ask closer to you. Just because its good for that Texas cowboy dont mean its good for you..the whole world dont spin around texas..just dont try telling that to them LOL

14.25 per back delivered to my front door. One or fifty bags.

Scotty

tapeworm":2h0lf9xv said:

Probably the first time I've disagreed with you tape. YES the world does spin around TEXAS. :lol: :lol: :p

I just switched to the sweetlix "copperhead " brand with rain block and it is 10.75$ per bag delivered. I like it so far. I think it is as good as the "right now" mineral. According to the tag , and my embryologist ,the copperhead was alot better than the Southern States co-op we were using and it was 12.50 per bag and I had to go into town to pick it up.

polledbull":hc65vkqj said:
I just switched to the sweetlix "copperhead " brand with rain block and it is 10.75$ per bag delivered. I like it so far. I think it is as good as the "right now" mineral. According to the tag , and my embryologist ,the copperhead was alot better than the Southern States co-op we were using and it was 12.50 per bag and I had to go into town to pick it up.
You made a great choice. I've been using it for quite a while, with excellent results.

wvcowgirl...waht part of wva are you from?
I'm from tn and thinking about going to the "right now" mineral program

tvc":1fje2zkg said:
wvcowgirl...waht part of wva are you from?
I'm from tn and thinking about going to the "right now" mineral program

Hello, I live about 20 miles from Charleston, WV. I just live on a small farm and my dad has never given his cattle anything but hay, salt, trace mineral salt, and mag blocks in the spring. We had 2 cows not to breed back this year and everyone is telling me to feed minerals??? I have just been cking into all the different kinds. The cows aren't old and they have raised good calves. I don't want to feed a bunch of chemicals and additives, I just want to take care of my cattle. :D

Latest posts