Mineral feeder and Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
We have one of those Mineral feeders on stand that spins with the wind, well bull is having a field day with it. I keep finding it flipped over and 100's of yards away from original spot with all mineral spilled out.

I am going to stake it down this weekend, but wondering if this will be in vain? Are the odds he will just tear it to pieces? What kind of Mineral feeders will work with a Bull in the field?

aplusmnt":2itvaj2h said:
We have one of those Mineral feeders on stand that spins with the wind, well bull is having a field day with it. I keep finding it flipped over and 100's of yards away from original spot with all mineral spilled out.

I am going to stake it down this weekend, but wondering if this will be in vain? Are the odds he will just tear it to pieces? What kind of Mineral feeders will work with a Bull in the field?
Get a Bull Master Mineral feeder. They are very low profile and have conveyor belt type covers on them to keep the Minerals dry, and Bull's wont usually play with them much.

Crowderfarms":2as9r8yl said:
aplusmnt":2as9r8yl said:

Get a Bull Master Mineral feeder. They are very low profile and have conveyor belt type covers on them to keep the Minerals dry, and Bull's wont usually play with them much.

That's those type that they have to lift up the cover to get the mineral out? Do cows eat mineral just as good from these as the other types were the mineral is more exposed?

aplusmnt":t4zit8ih said:
Crowderfarms":t4zit8ih said:
aplusmnt":t4zit8ih said:

That's those type that they have to lift up the cover to get the mineral out? Do cows eat mineral just as good from these as the other types were the mineral is more exposed?
Cows will do fine with this type. It was designed for use with Bulls that constantly dumped the weather vane type,or could not leave the cover alone.Might not work as good for younger Cattle that take a while to figure out how to operate the flaps.

Aplus, I wouldn't strap it down. As I've posted on another thread, Rustler had loaned me a bull and he played with the feed bunk constantly. Finally put a plastic 55 gal. drum in the pasture with him, and he played with that, leaving the bunk alone.

Mine is now staked down. I do have to redrive the stakes from time to time. I have a spinning feeder and my bulls seem to hate every one.

I've had a Bullmaster for several months now. Works great and it has three stakes that hold it securely in place. When I ordered mine, the company that made them was in the process of being bought out. Not sure if the new owners are still making them. Great little design.

My bulls have never messed with the mineral feeder, but I have three or four heifers that have nothing better to do than move it around the pasture. :cboy:

our spinner feeder had now became a goat feeder, since the cows played with it to death, i guess by rubbin and scratchin on it. the top shield part got bent down so we welded it but the metel is so thin that it was no time that it was broken again, so we made 2 hangin barrels like Dun had told about.the calves are the ones i see playing the them the most, everyone else has thier heads stuck in eating.

samm

Howdy,

Standard upright mineral feeders are play toys for bull's.

The flat, on the ground bull mineral feeders works for my yearling test bulls.

The herd has a Dusticator mineral feeder which is to big, and heavy to really be moved much. 150# of mineral in it helps keep it in place too.

Latest posts