Mental Health of Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

Mental health to a large extent is a function of inheritance. One has to live with the hand they are dealt. Behavior is much the same way. There are families in this area that I grew up with who are notorious for violent behavior. One of those families owns property that adjoins my farm. When I moved back to Kentucky after 33 years in the Rocky Mountain west, my brother warned me not to mess with those people. Then he recited a list of the incidents that family was involved in going back to the father, uncles and siblings. Environment certainly plays a role.

Some folks have the capacity to deal with adversity that puts others in a straight jacket. Some people just don't get down. Some people could lose everything but the shirt on their back and take it as an entertaining challenge to fight the good fight and come back with a vengeance. Others can flounder with an abundance of gifts.

I don't think it has anything to do with Jesus. For over a million years no one knew who Jesus was. I suspect the incidence of depression was about the same as it is today.

I don't mind talking about bees, I just fail to see the connection of how losing 2 packages of bees relates to mental health.

CP, sucks about the divorce and losing the cattle and ranch, but glad that your faith helped you through it.. It just doesn't work that way for some people..

This thread, when started had nothing to do with the concern of mental health for farmers, just another sky is falling thread.

haase said:
This thread, when started had nothing to do with the concern of mental health for farmers, just another sky is falling thread.

What do you base your opinion on your statement? Mental health is a problem in the United States and funds need to be available to confront it. Help should be available on any person regardless of their occupation. The opioid epidemic that we read about is a form of mental health. Just because nothing happens in your family and community does not mean it is not a problem. I would think that Farm Bureau sees it as a problem or they would not have published the article.

hurleyjd said:
haase said:

What do you base your opinion on your statement? Mental health is a problem in the United States and funds need to be available to confront it. Help should be available on any person regardless of their occupation. The opioid epidemic that we read about is a form of mental health. Just because nothing happens in your family and community does not mean it is not a problem. I would think that Farm Bureau sees it as a problem or they would not have published the article.

Farm Bureau sells insurance and anything they can say or do to save money they will. The opioid epidemic is caused by not strict enough penalties for the users and pushers. Three strikes and a bullet behind the ear will fix most of our drug and immigration problems.

cow pollinater said:
hurleyjd said:
I would like to thank each of the responders that actually discussed depression and problems that happen to people. To the bee keepers start your own post on bees.
Since we've upset you so, I'll share something with you. I went through a divorce and lost my ranch and cattle in the process within the last eight months.
My Faith was made tremendously stronger. Christ walked me through it by hand and has made every single promise he made me come true because I listened when he was telling me what to do and I kept my word to him and did what I was told.
My love for my kids was made stronger and I didn't think that was possible. I learned to see the beauty in things I hadn't noticed before.
I learned to let go of stuff that wasn't as important as I thought it was, like wealth, reputation, etc. And I learned how to build on what I already had and one of the things I still have is my bees. And they're doing great this year,btw. thanks for asking...
So while you're pi$$ing and moaning about people talking about bees in a thread about how screwed up we're all supposed to be I'm happy and healthy in spite of fairly recent and very real hardship.
Maybe people would be a lot less depressed without some old grouch pi$$ing in their cheerios every time they want to talk about something that makes them happy...

Glad you shared that. I've been off the boards for a while. I had no idea you were going through that. Always looked up to you, and admired your attitude. I see tough times only changed you for the better. Very inspiring.

Bigfoot said:
Glad you shared that. I've been off the boards for a while. I had no idea you were going through that. Always looked up to you, and admired your attitude. I see tough times only changed you for the better. Very inspiring.
I have been off for quite a while too. I just started coming back on recently. Mostly because it's to wet to do much else. :lol: Thank you for the complement.

Try looking a destruction as far as the eye can see every single day for 6mths. People still living in tents. ALOT of people lost everything. NO HELP(this cat 5 hurricane doesn't exist to congress) on the horizon for the ones that need it because POLITICS is in the way of people doing there jobs. ALL of the big farmers here will not ever be able to overcome the losses.

Mental health care has been misdiagnosed and mistreated for alont time, so many other problems can be linked to it as well, like depression, if were going to to put more money towards it it needs to go to the right areas, and medication isn't always the right answer.

M-5 said:
Try looking a destruction as far as the eye can see every single day for 6mths. People still living in tents. ALOT of people lost everything. NO HELP(this cat 5 hurricane doesn't exist to congress) on the horizon for the ones that need it because POLITICS is in the way of people doing there jobs. ALL of the big farmers here will not ever be able to overcome the losses.
If it didn't happen on the east or west coast, it doesn't matter.

Opioid epidemic stemmed from a choice. Not a mental health disorder.

Different scenario would be for someone who was mislead or misinformed by a health care provider. Even then, it's not a mental health disorder.

JMJ Farms said:

Different scenario would be for someone who was mislead or misinformed by a health care provider. Even then, it's not a mental health disorder.

Let me guess, you probably don't believe in alcoholism or addiction either?

M-5 said:

Isn't that what the free market is about?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
JMJ Farms said:

Let me guess, you probably don't believe in alcoholism or addiction either?

Boy you are just the ever reoccurring sarcastic ray of sunshine aren't you?

When you choose to take pills, drink too much/often, etc., it's the same as choosing to eat. You are satisfying a desire. Then all of a sudden that desire spirals out of control until it controls you. It becomes an addiction. Is addiction a mental health disorder? If I'm addicted to Pepsi, does that mean I have a mental health disorder?

I personally think addiction/substance abuse is different than a mental health disorder. But maybe I'm not defining mental health disorder correctly. Maybe a mental health disorder can lead to an addiction. And maybe an addiction can lead to a mental health disorder. But I think they are two separate things.

I'd love to hear more about how you see things. I promise to be open minded. And I'm even embracing the opportunity to be enlightened. Minus the smart azz rhetoric of course.

Nesikep said:
M-5 said:

As usual you don't have a clue how things work. As a citizen I pay taxes and the tax dollars are not being sent to local govs to assist in getting things done. I have spent thousands cleaning right aways that should have been done by the county.

Nesikep said:
M-5 said:

I feel that I need to jump in here and make a statement. I think you should apologize to Dash for making that statement about his post. He was correct when he stated that politics are in the way of people doing their jobs. These politicians,and I mean both parties (loosely) are only concerned with holding hearings against each other and setting themselves up for the next election. What about the job they were sent up there for? Enough about them. Until you have experienced the devastation that Dash and his neighbors have, you know not how it will affect you. I've been there and the only thing close to it is a wartime front. Before it is over it will break many a good man, and it shouldn't be that way. The government should be right in there to help people in that situation, but instead they offer help based on votes, race and so on. Depression is a disease that anyone is susceptible to at any time in their lives. It can crush the strongest man and I personally don't equate it to opioid use. That's drug abuse and not the same. BUT, back to Dash's point, It isn't what the free market is about!

We all know the group that needs their hands held through life, and cries foul when it doesn't go their way, look at the trophy generation coming up, last place gets a trophy, there going to handle the real world well, heck call it a mental health problem, if you can't handle life's set back and become stronger afterwards, then dont bother, no job or lifestyle is with out set backs, deal with it.

Latest posts