Mental Health of Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

Guess I'm too much like my two grandpa's to get depressed, cause I just keep on plowin, and thanking the Lord for another day on his Good Earth.

A little bit more of Jesus in your life, never hurt anyone.

sim.-ang.king said:
Guess I'm too much like my two grandpa's to get depressed, cause I just keep on plowin, and thanking the Lord for another day on his Good Earth.

Here too.

But I was pretty down and out last Wednesday when a tractor I had just replaced a $550 starter on back in March acted up like it did before I put the new starter on. Didn't help I was in pain from throwing my back out Monday. I've got hay needing to be cut and baled. Weeds need spraying. Fence work to do. Need to do some maintenance on the house. Was seriously contemplating getting rid of all the obligations except the house....

1982vett said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Here too.

But I was pretty down and out last Wednesday when a tractor I had just replaced a $550 starter on back in March acted up like it did before I put the new starter on. Didn't help I was in pain from throwing my back out Monday. I've got hay needing to be cut and baled. Weeds need spraying. Fence work to do. Need to do some maintenance on the house. Was seriously contemplating getting rid of all the obligations except the house....
Just keep on going that is what you have programmed yourself to do. No sin in doing nothing. Why when a person retires and has enough to do nothing saddles themselves with problems. I ask Myself that every day. We could be our own worst enemy.

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of what depression is and its various causes.. genetics play a role, etc... Admittedly, I had the wrong idea about it as well for a long time before I researched it.
Here's a really good video about it
https://youtu.be/NOAgplgTxfc

I bought two different packages of bees. They overnight expressed them. Finally. One package made it on time. They other one got hung up in St Louis. It came a day late and half the bees (or better) were dead.

I installed one package Wednesday April 24th and went ahead and installed the late one on April 25th. Yesterday I checked and neither bunch made it.

TSC told me to take a picture of the dead bees in the late package and they'd send another on May 13th.

I'll never do package bees again. But this is all just part of the learning curve of life. You can let things get you down or you can pull up your bootstraps and get to it. I'm just stubborn that way. I have been blessed. There have been a lot of successes. But learning from failure had much to do with success. If you don't play the game, you'll never win one.

I'd kinda like to have some bees but don't really want anything that can kill with death by a thousand (cuts) stings.....cow getting ya down is bad enough.

Letter to the Credit Company

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have just received your heated letter in regard to the bill I owe you. You said the bill should have been paid long ago, and you don't understand why it wasn't. Well, I'll enlighten you.

In 1937, I bought a sawmill on credit. In 1939, I bought an ox team, a timber cart, two ponies, a shotgun, a wine tester, a Colt revolver, and five razor-back hogs – all on credit.

In 1940, the sawmill burned down and didn't leave a dammed thing; one of my ponies died, and the other I loaned to a son-of-a-bich who starved him to death. In 1944, my father died and my mother was hanged for horse-stealing. A mechanic named Joe knocked up my daughter and I had to pay the doctor $38.52 to keep the little basturd from becoming a relative of mine.

In 1954, my son had the mumps and, when they went down on him, the doctor had to castrate him to save his life. That summer, I went fishing and the boat toppled over and I lost the biggest catfish you ever saw and one of my sons drowned (not the castrated one).

In 1955, my wife ran away with some freeloader and left me with three small children as a souvenir. I married the "hired girl" to keep expenses down. I had trouble getting her off, so the doctor told me to try creating some excitement just as she was beginning to climax. That night, I took the shotgun to bed with me and, just as she was beginning to climax, I pointed it out the window and pulled the trigger. Well, she shyt in the bed, I ruptured myself, and killed the best dammed milk cow I ever had.

In 1960, I took to drinking and didn't stop until all I had left was my Waterbury watch and kidney trouble. Then, all I did was wind up my watch and pizz.

The next year, the trouble really started. My wife caught the clap from the ice man, my son wiped his azz on a corn cob with rat poison on it, and somebody denutted my best bull.

In 1968, I decided to go into another business of my own. I ordered six beehives from Sears and Roebuck. I bought a swarm of bees and a Queen bee, all on the installment plan. The Queen bee died and I ordered another one. She turned out to be a wh0re and started running around with a horse-fly and the honey tasted like horse-shyt, and I couldn't sell it.

So now, gentlemen, you say if I don't pay you, you will cause trouble. Right now, if it cost two cents to shyt, I would have to fart. Getting money out of me would be like trying to poke butter up a wildcat's azz with a hot spoon, but you are welcome to try.

Yours For More Credit,
Billy Bob

Be careful fooling with bees. They were the straw that broke the camels back for this feller :lol2:

backhoeboogie said:
I bought two different packages of bees. They overnight expressed them. Finally. One package made it on time. They other one got hung up in St Louis. It came a day late and half the bees (or better) were dead.

I installed one package Wednesday April 24th and went ahead and installed the late one on April 25th. Yesterday I checked and neither bunch made it.

TSC told me to take a picture of the dead bees in the late package and they'd send another on May 13th.

I'll never do package bees again. But this is all just part of the learning curve of life. You can let things get you down or you can pull up your bootstraps and get to it. I'm just stubborn that way. I have been blessed. There have been a lot of successes. But learning from failure had much to do with success. If you don't play the game, you'll never win one.
Packages are one of the worst investments you can make in beekeeping unless you can pick them up yourself and if you can do that nucs are the way to go. If your other hives are doing okay give them a frame of brood and it's a huge jumpstart. Open brood will help tremendously with absconding. If you can't spare the brood put a queen excluder in between the bottom board and hive body when you install them. That doesn't work for swarms but they ship fat queens with packages. I also keep the queen caged for a few days but sometimes they shake a queen in with the package and when that happens they'll abscond about 90% of the time.

greybeard said:
I'd kinda like to have some bees but don't really want anything that can kill with death by a thousand (cuts) stings.....cow getting ya down is bad enough.
I don't even suit up about half the time but I know what I've got. If you watch them close you'll know when you're going to have problems. Real simple trick is to use cordovan queens. They're a different color(recessive)and extremely gentle. If you see different colored bees at the entrance then you know you need to requeen as your last one was superceeded and now you don't know what you've got.
I use cordovans and carnis and have them right in front of the garden. I literally use them as table tops when I'm outside doing stuff and sit on them when I'm on the phone.

sim.-ang.king said:

I whole heartedly agree, a relationship with the Lord brings much peace. I would like to add, that just as a person can have an issue with their foot, likewise they can have one with their head. Mental illness/depression is not spared on the Christian. One wouldn't go in a nursing home, say perhaps if you loved the Lord more, you wouldn't be laying here. Things go wrong, things break down. The mind is no different. This world is tough place. Hard work takes a toll on your back. Lotta the other stuff eats at your brain. Strong backs stand up longer. Strong minds do as well. You push either or to the limit, and they give out.

This is not@ Sim, it's for anyone that may need to hear it.

Bigfoot said:
sim.-ang.king said:

I whole heartedly agree, a relationship with the Lord brings much peace. I would like to add, that just as a person can have an issue with their foot, likewise they can have one with their head. Mental illness/depression is not spared on the Christian. One wouldn't go in a nursing home, say perhaps if you loved the Lord more, you wouldn't be laying here. Things go wrong, things break down. The mind is no different. This world is tough place. Hard work takes a toll on your back. Lotta the other stuff eats at your brain. Strong backs stand up longer. Strong minds do as well. You push either or to the limit, and they give out.

I agree, being Christian doesn't prevent hard time, in fact it can cause more trouble, or mean you are going to be healed.
But, it gives you hope that you can make it through even the darkest times. Which is something nothing else in this world can do.

I've seen pretty dark times in my own life. Like our farm, and neighbors farms get torn to shreads by CRP, and out of county corporate investors. In one year our farm lost over 400 acres of rented ground to these two evils. That's a lot for a small farm, or really any farm. You want to see the destruction of the small farm? Come to Marion county. It was one of the first counties to fall in IL.
It left a very dark spot in my heart, full of hate for anyone that sold out to them, hate towards the government, hated the ones I thought were my neighbors, even hate for my own family. That dark spot is slowly healing, but only through the Light does the darkness flee.

There is hope available for anyone.
If this dark, hate filled, sinner can be healed, so can you.

Seek and you shall find.

Bigfoot said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Well said :)
A quote from the Sapolsky lecture above (I think).. Why Zebras don't get ulcers (name of one of this books).. Zebras and humans have the same stress response, it increases blood pressure, adrenaline flows, etc, and for the zebra, it's a good thing when there's a lion chasing it.. However, when it's always on, it's really damaging. Zebras don't have to worry about 30 year mortgages and don't get frustrated in rush hour traffic though, and that same response that saves their life takes its toll on ours

I would like to thank each of the responders that actually discussed depression and problems that happen to people. To the bee keepers start your own post on bees.

sim.-ang.king said:
Bigfoot said:
sim.-ang.king said:

I agree, being Christian doesn't prevent hard time, in fact it can cause more trouble, or mean you are going to be healed.
But, it gives you hope that you can make it through even the darkest times. Which is something nothing else in this world can do.

I've seen pretty dark times in my own life. Like our farm, and neighbors farms get torn to shreads by CRP, and out of county corporate investors. In one year our farm lost over 400 acres of rented ground to these two evils. That's a lot for a small farm, or really any farm. You want to see the destruction of the small farm? Come to Marion county. It was one of the first counties to fall in IL.
It left a very dark spot in my heart, full of hate for anyone that sold out to them, hate towards the government, hated the ones I thought were my neighbors, even hate for my own family. That dark spot is slowly healing, but only through the Light does the darkness flee.

There is hope available for anyone.
If this dark, hate filled, sinner can be healed, so can you.

Seek and you shall find.

Glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way.

hurleyjd said:
I would like to thank each of the responders that actually discussed depression and problems that happen to people. To the bee keepers start your own post on bees.
Gee, sorry we offended you so. I know you're already at your breaking point. Please don't let anything we said or did push you over the edge. There's help out there for people that are in such a fragile place... Hope you find it.

cow pollinater said:
hurleyjd said:
Gee, sorry we offended you so. I know you're already at your breaking point. Please don't let anything we said or did push you over the edge. There's help out there for people that are in such a fragile place... Hope you find it.

Dam beekeepers.

We bale hay, always in the past strived for the best quality, and we still will, but the world is not gonna end if it gets too mature. The world is not gonna end if we sell calves, and they jump a dime the next week. It can take a toll, but when it does, take a breath. And I need to follow my own advice, sit and watch the calves suck, watch the sunset, think and remember those who have passed on, just live.

hurleyjd said:
Since we've upset you so, I'll share something with you. I went through a divorce and lost my ranch and cattle in the process within the last eight months.
My Faith was made tremendously stronger. Christ walked me through it by hand and has made every single promise he made me come true because I listened when he was telling me what to do and I kept my word to him and did what I was told.
My love for my kids was made stronger and I didn't think that was possible. I learned to see the beauty in things I hadn't noticed before.
I learned to let go of stuff that wasn't as important as I thought it was, like wealth, reputation, etc. And I learned how to build on what I already had and one of the things I still have is my bees. And they're doing great this year,btw. thanks for asking...
So while you're pi$$ing and moaning about people talking about bees in a thread about how screwed up we're all supposed to be I'm happy and healthy in spite of fairly recent and very real hardship.
Maybe people would be a lot less depressed without some old grouch pi$$ing in their cheerios every time they want to talk about something that makes them happy...

No I am not depressed and should not be life has been good to me and I am thankful for it. I have not had the experience of a divorce and lost everything. I have been married to the same one for 59 years she is the rock in my life. I tried the beekeeping here in East Texas and was pretty much of a failure at it. Yes I have been up and down but managed to stay up. I was in the dairy business when it went to crap and looked like I might be on the losing end. Did lose some sleep over it. Started looking for employment and landed a very good job that paid well. Went to the banker and told him I would have to liquidate and he said that they could loan me some more money because I had a lot of equity in the farm. But I sold any way and had a little left over. Now I am happy that you have worked through your problems and found answers that make you happy. By the way do they still sell the midnight bees that sears sold years ago. Now there are many problems other than depression that affects people and mental health is as important as physical health. I only thought that you bee keepers was just trying to rattle my cage and you did. Can I send you a fresh box of cheerios.

Latest posts