medicated dart

Help Support CattleToday:

PURCHASED ONE A COUPLE YEARS AGO, THE BOW, BUT THE ARROW IS QUITE HEAVY. LEFT COVER ON ARROW AND SHOT IT A FEW TIMES TO LEARN TRAJECTORY AND RANGE. DIDN'T HAVE CORRAL FIXED AT THE TIME, AND NEEDED TO TREAT 2 COWS. THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING A BOW FISHING RIG TO ALLOW A STRING TO REMOVE ARROW AFTER MED IS DISPENSED. ALSO, SINCE I DON'T HAVE SQUEEZE CHUTE, WILL USE IN CORRAL IF NEEDED. THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING IT ON A PLASTIC PIPE OR EMT CONDUIT, TO ALLOW ME TO STICK THEM MORE ACCURATELY, ALONG WITH A STRING TO EXPEDITE REMOVAL. BEST PART WAS DIDN'T SEEM TO UPSET COWS, THEY JUST JUMPED AND LOOKED AROUND TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED.

You and one more person at most can treat your animals in most landscape conditions by....

- drive up to animal easy and throwing a rope around neck ... if you need to let someone in the back of the truck have the rope and throw it around the head of the animal.

- let the animal walk off

- position truck tire on rope

- walk to the back of the animal when you get them to stretch the rope that they are anchored too and rope the back legs (second person helps here also). Throw the rope under the belly an get both ends and cinch up the rope around the back legs and put the animal on the ground.

- give meds, deliver calf or back up a trailer and put another rope on the animal and thread the rope through the trailer to the front so you can use a vehicle on that end of the rope to encourage the animal onto the trailer (second person helps here also) and haul it off..

Make sure you don't choke the animal. Use a knot tied so the rope won't choke the animal but that will let the slip knot tighten enough so the noose want slip off the head.

When letting the animal up, take off the head noose first then the back legs.

This is usually much easier and quicker than running them with horses out in the pasture.

Wewild":2oz2h33p said:
You and one more person at most can treat your animals in most landscape conditions by....

- drive up to animal easy and throwing a rope around neck ... if you need to let someone in the back of the truck have the rope and throw it around the head of the animal.

- let the animal walk off

- position truck tire on rope

- walk to the back of the animal when you get them to stretch the rope that they are anchored too and rope the back legs (second person helps here also). Throw the rope under the belly an get both ends and cinch up the rope around the back legs and put the animal on the ground.

- give meds, deliver calf or back up a trailer and put another rope on the animal and thread the rope through the trailer to the front so you can use a vehicle on that end of the rope to encourage the animal onto the trailer (second person helps here also) and haul it off..

Make sure you don't choke the animal. Use a knot tied so the rope won't choke the animal but that will let the slip knot tighten enough so the noose want slip off the head.

When letting the animal up, take off the head noose first then the back legs.

This is usually much easier and quicker than running them with horses out in the pasture.

How do you tie a knot in the rope so that it doesnt "choke" the cow down? Are you using cattle rope?

denoginnizer":33i36jqt said:
How do you tie a knot in the rope so that it doesnt "choke" the cow down? Are you using cattle rope?

We don't use a rope that has a metal wire in it. You can use the 'roping ropes" as they work but we have never bought them. I've seen that work

For the neck diameter, I haven't really ciphered on it. My dad did it so I do what he did. You just tie a knot down the length of rope so it won't choke her when the slip knot tightens up..

I would say it's got something to do with the diameter of the neck which isn't exaxctly round.

Latest posts