medicated dart

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I found a company called medidart that makes a dart that claims it can adminster medicine (up to 40cc's per shot) without having to catch cattle. Is 40cc's to much LA for one sight? Will it hurt the animal or just cause a bruise? What are yalls thoughts on this ?

I believe LA-200 specifys something like no more then 10ml per injection site, that's problem #1.
#2 is it's best if given sub-Q, are you that good of a shot?
#3, it's awfully hard to practice BQA with a dart gun.

dun

Wonder why La 200 says no more than 10cc's per injection sight? Does it hurt the animal if more is used or potentionally cause a bruise that would cost a meat packer money?

Tetracyclene is a pretty irritating substance it seems, or maybe that's all that can be absorbed before the area closes off, or maybe because it takes so much, you would get more of an area putting the drug in then just one big bubble. V the V will know

dun

welp, i'm using 10 cc "pneu darts" with A180 this year and have been makin out like a champ. they also claim their dart will adminster sub q and maybe they do cause they are a very short needle my question has always been considering the impact when the dart hits the calf does it not go in the muscle? common sense would say it does especially when you see the calf kick and buck and go running off like they do... but it works and that is good enough for me, no running the calf to catch it and even though its obvious its painful i'm sure its less stressful on the calf. with la200 i have given up to 20 cc per site and it seeemed to work just fine. but 40??? also if that a 40 cc dart it will no doubt have to be retrieved and re-used. pneu darts 10cc and smaller do not have to be retrieved they fall out after a few minutes, usually... they do make a 15 cc dart but it has to be retrieved.
bif

I borrowed one last summer, it worked pretty well but you hvae to be fairly close,I won't say that I will never use it again but my first choice will be run 'em in the chute. There is also a model that looks like a sorting stick...that works if your cattle are fairly tame

denoginnizer":2ijovyy7 said:
Wonder why La 200 says no more than 10cc's per injection sight? Does it hurt the animal if more is used or potentionally cause a bruise that would cost a meat packer money?

I'm not V the V, and I don't know why the product literature suggests no more than 10 cc in one injection site. I speculate that it would be due to the irritation, the potential for causing a knot, and (if given IM) more extensive and longer lasting tissue damage (as denoginnizer mentioned) which could mean more beef trimmed off onto the floor at slaughter.

What I do know is that when my vet administers it, he draws up 50 cc and gives it in two SQ injections, half of it on one side of the neck and half of it on the other side of the neck!

I believe the reason for no more than 10 cc's in one injection site is because when you are injecting you are displacing muscle and any more than this injected into one area will cause discomfort and possible muscle damage. I know this was the reason given in my paramedic class when we were trained on giving people shots.

I believe there are at least two reasons for the 10cc per site limit. #1 is residual. The package instructions say something to effect that the slaughter withdrawl time is not valid for higher single injection sites. #2 is probably increased likelihood of creating knots at the injection site.

Absolutely, you have no idea of the withdrawal time if giving more per site than the label maximum. The stuff burns like crazy, will scar PERMANENTLY, even SQ; and you don't know how well it's absorbed, thus it may be ineffective.

Personally, I'd rather chute than shoot a calf. JMHO

V

I have never seem one of these dart gun things. Who do they work? It seems to me it would be quire expensive to not reuse the dart? Do you just let it fall off in the pasture? What if someone steps on the needle and gets it stuck in their foot? It just dosn't sound like a very good approach to me.

the arrow I used bounces right back out, you pump it up with air, the air pushes the medication in on contact with the critter,,you don't want to lose the arrow if I remember right it runs about 125$(its reusable)

yu can give 30cc IM or subq. You can shoot the animal in the neck. The amt recommended is for less tissue damage. U can shoot 'em with 10cc of any injectable you normally use. we find a single 30cc shot is less stressful for us and the lvstk. We get the dart back right away, it's completely reusable and we don't buy charges or co2. Works great!!
K

the dart does work but mine only delivers 25 cc although it will hold 30 the last 5 never go in, it works, the arrow will usually pop out after a second or two and if another critter steps on it it will break. 125$ is about right for the arrow. You have to get close(10 ft or less) and try to hit them good the first time as the second or third will be one heck of alot harder. buy new needles often and wash the thing as la200 is the most sticky substance known to man. and it will bruise so use it as a last resort, I don't use it on calves but for a cow with footrot or pinkeye and the sun going down it does come in handy. I am glad I have one.

I have posted before on my belief in the dart system. I use the 10cc disposable darts or smaller and there is no way to count how many animals that have been saved by it. However, I seriously question using LA200 with the darts. In my mind, it is too thick to dispense in the animal unless the weather is really warm. A 1200 lb cow calls for 54 ccs at 4.5 ccs per hundred pounds. That takes too many darts. My gun shoots accurate up to around 75 feet, with 10cc darts. I pick up and dispose the dart after using, and I have never found one that had not dispensed the medicine. If I have to doctor a cow for foot rot that I cant get to the pen, I tranquilize her with the dart gun and then work on the foot. I have never used the 125 dollar arrow dart, so I am not qualified to comment on those. The concerns that many of you have with the dart system are legitimate. However, in my situation, there would be many animals not get doctored without them and would die. They are a very important part of my operation.

Vicky the vet":3b1b84p8 said:
Absolutely, you have no idea of the withdrawal time if giving more per site than the label maximum. The stuff burns like crazy, will scar PERMANENTLY, even SQ; and you don't know how well it's absorbed, thus it may be ineffective.

Personally, I'd rather chute than shoot a calf. JMHO

V

If you don't like LA200 what do you prefer? One of the generic "no sting" oxytets or something else?

Thanks