Need a new dart gun

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Been with cap-chur for several years, had a couple different of their models. Mine has a leaking gasket. They'll rebuild it, if I send it off. Really wanting to get away from co2. What's everybody using? Do more wild cow stuff, than anything else, and also shoot draxxin for pinkeye.

I use the one from pneu dart. It's made by the Benjamin air gun people. It's simple and works, I wish they made a dart bigger than 10cc.

I also have Pnue. I looks just like the old Benjamin pump up pellet guns. Ten pumps and it hits where I am aiming out to 30 yards or so. They say you can shoot 40 yards. I have never had to shoot that far.

cost wise, the medi dart is kinda spendy compared to pneu and cap-sure. I actually use mine quit frequently, so I guess in a way I could justify the expense. I wonder what the expense is like on the Medi? there about $5 each on my cap-sure.

I use the medi dart crossbow. It fires a 30 cc missile. It works good on fleshy animals but on something little skinnier it's harder to get the needle to stick without bouncing out. Also the distance has to be fairly exact. Thinking of switching to pneu dart gun. They only fire 10cc dart but I think you just have to use better, more concentrated meds.

cost wise, the medi dart is kinda spendy compared to pneu and cap-sure. I actually use mine quit frequently, so I guess in a way I could justify the expense. I wonder what the expense is like on the Medi? there about $5 each on my cap-sure.
There is no recurring expense with the medi.

Been with cap-chur for several years, had a couple different of their models. Mine has a leaking gasket. They'll rebuild it, if I send it off. Really wanting to get away from co2. What's everybody using? Do more wild cow stuff, than anything else, and also shoot draxxin for pinkeye.
I been borrowing a co2 cap chur gun for years and his o'ring went bad so I had several cases of foot rot and needed a gun so I ordered a cap chur 22 rifle and it has worked good. I bought the reusable darts that take a charge but I learned that if shooting a 15 or 20 cc needle to use the higher 22 blank or it will not set off the charge of that dart, everything is working fine it's a real good rifle.

For you chap chur users. I got a new CO2 cap chur in today. Followed instructions on loading the CO2 and getting it ready. After I cock and fire the first time you can hear a leak and see the condensation on the outside of the barrel. Assuming once the CO2 is punctured is shouldn't be leaking like this?

Yeah, shouldn't be any leaking sounds at all. I use a Cap-Chur long range pistol (CO2). Follow your instructions to keep it oiled up properly and routinely cleaned, and your O rings should last a long time. If you're allowing them to dry out, nothing's going to work like it should.

I like it, and I like that it's compact. I use it in the winter when feeding the cattle (unrolling rounds). Just drive by the lineup in the tractor and point it out the window. Done. It'd be difficult wielding a rifle out the window in the tractor cab.

Pnue-Dart was going through a spell where you couldn't get darts... that still going on? I like the throw away darts myself (Cap-Chur)... I don't have to chase around after the cattle to try to find where they drop the dart like I would with a "re-usable"... they're pretty spendy if you're not successful in finding them back. "Disposables" are spendy though too, but not nearly as bad... I've spent a half hour or so sometimes just waiting for that critter to drop a dart... and my time is more valuable to me than a disposable dart is... Even have a picture of one still hanging in there after TWO DAYS! I'm not waiting around that long. Generally, if I don't see 'em drop it within a few minutes, I'll just forget it, and sometimes I'll find it in a day or two. I usually will kind of scout the area she was in for a day or two after, but I don't worry about them too much with the disposables.

Pnue-Dart was going through a spell where you couldn't get darts... that still going on? I like the throw away darts myself (Cap-Chur)... I don't have to chase around after the cattle to try to find where they drop the dart like I would with a "re-usable"... they're pretty spendy if you're not successful in finding them back. "Disposables" are spendy though too, but not nearly as bad... I've spent a half hour or so sometimes just waiting for that critter to drop a dart... and my time is more valuable to me than a disposable dart is... Even have a picture of one still hanging in there after TWO DAYS! I'm not waiting around that long. Generally, if I don't see 'em drop it within a few minutes, I'll just forget it, and sometimes I'll find it in a day or two. I usually will kind of scout the area she was in for a day or two after, but I don't worry about them too much with the disposables.
Yes they are still a little hard to get. I had a feed store get a huge shipment in and stocked up. I also placed an order through Pnue Dart and it took 2 months to get them. You can get them but you can't wait until you're out to go looking

So far I've never had any difficulty with getting the Cap-Chur disposables. Valley Vet has always gotten 'em out right away. Price is a little lower direct from Cap-Chur, unless shipping is more...

I USED TO THINK that a dart gun was a luxury tool... not anymore. Wouldn't want to be without it if running critters out in pasture. If you always have them in a pen where you can run them into a crush nearby, that might be different..., but even then, why would you want to have to handle that animal if it's possible to treat without it? That being said, if I had a bad outbreak of something and had to treat a big number... I'd run them through the corral and chute... because of the expense for darts. The thing is, often if you don't have the easy option of treating one "right away" (because of having to run them all to a corral and chute somewhere), that's how things can quickly get out of hand, to where you DO end up having to treat a whole lot more critters. When you have a gun, you can treat 'em quickly as you first spot 'em... and then it won't result in an "outbreak" nearly as easily. Better for the animal to get treated right away when necessary too, for a faster recovery, and less "down time".

Last edited:
Still hard to get here. Have had some ordered from them for 4 months. The feed store got some in and I was able to get ten.
I have the pneu dat pump gun. Several that had used most of those available said it is the most reliable.

Wondering if the Pnue-Dart pump rifle has the "rifling" in the barrel? And if so, does that seem to actually spin the darts decently enough to make a difference in accuracy? Anybody using the .22 cal powered Pnue-Dart? And does the rifling in that one actually appear to spin that dart enough to make a difference (accuracy)?

Seems to me with my Cap-Chur CO2 gun that the heavy darts (10cc+) tend to drop more than I'd "prefer" on the longer range shots... need to compensate a fair amount... not a BIG deal, as long as you're familiar with it. I've got the "mid-range" Cap-Chur pistol, but have never used any other gun, so can't really compare them. None of the Cap-Chur guns have the rifling in them though, and I understand that the Pnue-Dart does, at least in the .22 fired ones. I assume that you need a Pnue-Dart dart to accomodate and take advantage of that rifling then???

I once saw on FB Mktplc a Cap-Chur CO2 pistol for sale along with some Pnue-Dart darts. Does that work?

I wish there was some kind of an indicator of "charge pressure" on my CO2 gun before firing... so you'd have a way of knowing if you've still got a big enough charge. When the CO2 cartridge is getting toward the end, the only way you know it is that it can't propel the dart as strongly anymore. You DO get quite a few shots out of one cartridge (often like maybe 20 darts, less in colder weather)... more than I expected... but of course, that means risking a low-lobber that might just still dispense the meds............... on the ground. Alternative is to just change 'em out more often... less than $2 each, so not too big a deal. Convenience of the CO2 is good... .22 blank would be better yet, and more consistent.

Latest posts