Love those crossbreds

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Getting it done on hay, salt and mineral, slim to no pasture. Calf was born 10/2 - hereford bull
IMG00050-20110316-1057.jpg

Looks like the calf has it figured out...Didn't know it was lunchtime when I took the first pic. Only after taking it and pulling around did I see what was going on. :lol:
IMG00051-20110316-1058.jpg

I'd say about 450. He is thick so I could be a little light on that. Tempting to pick him and see if he'll bring $1.50

1982vett":29n6fj34 said:
I'd say about 450. He is thick so I could be a little light on that. Tempting to pick him and see if he'll bring $1.50
If he don't I'll bet it will be dang close. And could be a little more from what I'm seeing lately.

It appears I'm getting some pretty good weight gains now that the weather has warmed up and the cows have something green to chew on. I'd like to get some gain on the calves. To bad I don't have many this size ready to go. I sold pretty deep in January for cash flow and lack of green grazing for the cows the calves were on. Sure is tough to let that kind of money ride another month. The older calves have been slipping on the oats since it came up which didn't hurt them a bit. Just didn't have anything for the cows till about4 weeks ago.

KNERSIE":2tf8rigo said:
Unusual colour for a hereford sired calf, who is the sire?
Yes, that calf is diluted black - Hereford's are not supposed to be carrying the diluter gene.
Edit - the cow is black, so she is not carrying the diluter gene - has to come from the sire.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2bkrxo64 said:
KNERSIE":2bkrxo64 said:
Yes, that calf is diluted black - Hereford's are not supposed to be carrying the diluter gene.
Edit - the cow is black, so she is not carrying the diluter gene - has to come from the sire.

That is what I was getting at, and why I wanted to know who the sire was so I can look the pedigree up to see if the usual suspects are lurking there.

KNERSIE":33qsfjyv said:
Knersie...Langford Herefords was the breeder of bull that sired that calf. Back in November 2004 I bought several bred cows when they liquidated there New Mexico herd. The bull is JHR 177D Standard Lad 59J/ LH Markette 7257. He impressed me when he was born and I kept him just to see what he would do. Obviously he carries the diluter gene but for what I'm doing he is throwing some fine calves. Puts curley hair on the calves too and does in more than once and a while.

Jeanne...the cow is black BUT... :D it's not an F1. 6 generations back all I remember of the cow was that she was a roan, thru pretty good calves and was a bottle calf dad bought for me. (The beginning of my cowherd for those of you that think I don't understand the economics of trading emotions for $ although very little of what she was is left). Starting back there goes something like Brangus or maybe Angus, don't really remember which, then Simental, Limousine, Angus and now Hereford for that calf

But this bull does consistently throw good calves however some may not like the colors. They still sell well. Here are some more to look at.

This one is out of an Angus cow, October born also
IMG00060-20110321-1044.jpg

Same calf on the right. Calf on the left is what, full brother on the sire side and dams were sisters...71 (2 1/2 month old bull) calf is Brangus and a different Polled Hereford.
IMG00066-20110321-1050.jpg

Can't see much of the calf here, but 1/2 brother to the first. Actually one of a set of would be 5 month old twins. Sold the other calf 5 weeks ago when I was concerend the cow could no longer support 2 calves.
IMG00067-20110321-1051.jpg

These calves are out of the Polled Herefored except for the second from the right. All are 8 - 10weeks old.
IMG00070-20110321-1056.jpg

11 calf is 2 months, Black calf is 3 month old first calf from a Brangus bull I bought last year (mama next to calf). Hereford calf in the back is 2 weeks and other red w/face is 3 weeks old Mama hind quarter is next to it
IMG00069-20110321-1055.jpg

And I guess I'll use this as eveidence of hybrid vigor. Number 5 calf on the right (full hereford) is three days older than
#6 calf on the left (Brangus/hereford) Both are from the Polled Hereford bull.
IMG00058-20110321-1040.jpg

Almost forgot, the other set of twins born just before Christmas. Little calf on the right will get a ride to town Wednesday. Obviously isn't getting enough in a pasture situation but was also a bit smaller than the other at birth. I'd say by hair and color they are out of the LH Bull
IMG00073-20110321-1100.jpg

PS...The stormy looing sky.........NOT!

Nothing wrong with the calves at all, the diluted black just interested me as its not suppose to happen if the calf is sired by a hereford bull.

Vett - cattle look really good - getting green - I'm jeolous - talking about 6" of snow tomorrow (light snow today) borderline cold enough to snow so we have MUD MUD - yuk
It really doesn't matter what the black cows ancestry is - she is black, so she cannot carry the diluter gene. With black factored cattle, the diluter gene is dominant, so it would be expressed.
In your pic of #5 & #6 calf (comparing PB & crossbred), looks like your #6 calf has a naval infection???

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2sf2cv0e said:
Vett - cattle look really good - getting green - I'm jeolous - talking about 6" of snow tomorrow (light snow today) borderline cold enough to snow so we have MUD MUD - yuk
It really doesn't matter what the black cows ancestry is - she is black, so she cannot carry the diluter gene. With black factored cattle, the diluter gene is dominant, so it would be expressed.
In your pic of #5 & #6 calf (comparing PB & crossbred), looks like your #6 calf has a naval infection???

Hmm...hadn't notice that. Will have to take a look.

Didn't notice how the photos are bing cropped by Photobucket if you use their "shortcut" IMG button till looking at that photo again.

It is trying to turn green and is doing a good job for what little moisture we have. But in the middle of March with temps we have had we should be getting ready to dig the balers out in a few weeks. Best we can hope for now is still having something green. Wind and sun are already stressing that which is green. Sure could use some of that stuff that essential to make mud. :D

I have a color question since Jeanne said what she said. Here is the deal - I have a homozygous black Simmental bull. He was tested for this. He was bred to two Chiangus cows that had grey calves at birth. The Chiangus cows are both black. How did we get grey calves. As they have gotten older, they have turned darker and are not nearly as grey as they were at birth. One was almost silver. Both cows are out of the Chi bull called Sugar Ray. He was more of a greyish brown. Just wondering how those color genes worked in this situation????

Chi-man":1zkhrz36 said:
I have a color question since Jeanne said what she said. Here is the deal - I have a homozygous black Simmental bull. He was tested for this. He was bred to two Chiangus cows that had grey calves at birth. The Chiangus cows are both black. How did we get grey calves. As they have gotten older, they have turned darker and are not nearly as grey as they were at birth. One was almost silver. Both cows are out of the Chi bull called Sugar Ray. He was more of a greyish brown. Just wondering how those color genes worked in this situation????

Do you know what the color of a full blood Chianina is?

Yes, They are white with dark hides. Sugar Ray is 62.5% Chi. Therefore, he was not traditionally colored. If memory serves me correctly, he is also 6.25% Charolais. I was under the impression (obviously a wrong one) that black to black should result in either red or black (depending on whether the red gene was present in both parents).

You are correct - black to black should give you red or black.
The Charolais in the background might be making the difference?? I know their white/diluter gene is "different" than the Simmental/Gv.