One of those days.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Took a calf to stockyards today, and came home and put out hay. Looked over on a hill and saw a heifer down. I'd been watching a couple for a little while looking like they were getting close to calving, so I knew what was going on as soon as I saw it. Wife and I had to make several attempts at getting her to the barn. Me on foot a lot of the time and her in the side by side, we'd get her close to the barn lot and she'd get by us. It doesn't take much walking and running the hills to wear me plum out these days.
Most times we can get them up fairly easy, but this one wasn't having it.
Finally got her through gate into another lot and in the barn from there.
Wasn't a real hard pull but had to use the pullers. It was alive and the heifer went to licking it off. Will probably give it some supplemental colostrum in a little while.

Years ago.i would send the odd cattle or mean cows I would get in a trade to Lee City. Was a great place to sell the unusual stuff back then. Sale was on Monday.
I used to go a time or two a year back then when they had the Monday night sales.
It's under different management now and seems like they are having a bit better quality sale and drawing more cattle and buyers from other areas.
Honestly I'd rather take cattle to Lee City than to Mt Sterling at this point even though Mt Sterling is the closest yards to us at just under 20 miles away.
We typically now sell at Paris, or Lexington.

I used to go a time or two a year back then when they had the Monday night sales.
It's under different management now and seems like they are having a bit better quality sale and drawing more cattle and buyers from other areas.
Honestly I'd rather take cattle to Lee City than to Mt Sterling at this point even though Mt Sterling is the closest yards to us at just under 20 miles away.
We typically now sell at Paris, or Lexington.
Looking at the Paris reports it looks like it would be hard to beat the price there.

Good save! Mama and calf have clearly figured it out. But precisely why I calve out my heifers at the barn.
You're right, it's much easier to already have them in the barn. If I think some are close, and the weather looks to be bad then I try to get them in beforehand. This one fooled me I didn't think she was quite ready, been thinking that another one was going to be first and that she didn't look quite ready either.
It's kind of a balance for me, it seems like if they stay up too long it doesn't work out as quite as well sometimes. If everything goes as it should calving and weather is good I'd rather them be outside, but definitely there are times when it's better to have them up.

How tight is your breeding season?
Not very, I had it pretty close down to about 60 days for spring calving but a problem with AI and an injured cleanup bull messed it up a few years ago. We then just went to running bulls all year, for a couple years. Now trying to get it back to two defined times.

Alberta Cowboys Association voted the Hereford cow the easiest to handle because you could sneak up on he blind, cancer eye side, park on her swing bag and trim feet or sew up her prolapse…😂😂

Thats a nice pair and a money maker calf.

Oh… If wifey had been more aggressive in the s x s she could have rolled Bossy in the fields and parked on her until you caught up with the chains…..

Alberta Cowboys Association voted the Hereford cow the easiest to handle because you could sneak up on he blind, cancer eye side, park on her swing bag and trim feet or sew up her prolapse…😂😂

Thats a nice pair and a money maker calf.

Oh… If wifey had been more aggressive in the s x s she could have rolled Bossy in the fields and parked on her until you caught up with the chains…..
Funny you mentioned if wife had been more aggressive in the s x s, at one point, I was standing on the pond bank trying to get my breath and watched her take off down hill to try head the heifer off from going to the back again, I was hoping she didn't try much more aggressive maneuvering on that hill.

On a side note maybe the reason we had such a time with that cow is that she has some Angus in her🤔😂. Actually, though some of our most aggravating cows to deal with have been a few of the pure Herefords.

Took a calf to stockyards today, and came home and put out hay. Looked over on a hill and saw a heifer down. I'd been watching a couple for a little while looking like they were getting close to calving, so I knew what was going on as soon as I saw it. Wife and I had to make several attempts at getting her to the barn. Me on foot a lot of the time and her in the side by side, we'd get her close to the barn lot and she'd get by us. It doesn't take much walking and running the hills to wear me plum out these days.
Most times we can get them up fairly easy, but this one wasn't having it.
Finally got her through gate into another lot and in the barn from there.
Wasn't a real hard pull but had to use the pullers. It was alive and the heifer went to licking it off. Will probably give it some supplemental colostrum in a little while.
If I have to pull a calf the cow takes a ride.

Latest posts