Falling in love with the wrong calf

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Had the first calf of the season on 4-15. Five more calved yesterday the 19th. One of yesterdays calvers apparently fell in love with the 4-15 calf and won't take her own. I've never had this before. Anybody else had to deal with this?

kenny thomas said:
Separate them and only give her the option of her own calf for a few days

The sooner the better also. Time matters in these deals. If she truly bonds with the wrong calf you will have a real fight to get her on her own. Rompum and Ace are used here when necessary. We had a bad 3 day blizzard with over 2 ft. Of snow last week so getting things paired up that calved in the mess was a use any means necessary proposition.

W.B. said:
kenny thomas said:

The sooner the better also. Time matters in these deals. If she truly bonds with the wrong calf you will have a real fight to get her on her own. Rompum and Ace are used here when necessary. We had a bad 3 day blizzard with over 2 ft. Of snow last week so getting things paired up that calved in the mess was a use any means necessary proposition.

Learned that trick at the American Fork ranch in MT. Nobody around here has ever heard of using that procedure.

Experienced this years ago. Didn't end well for the abandoned calf. Was the cow a first calf heifer? Occasionally they can be incredibly stupid. Whatever the outcome, if she were mine she'd be at the top of my cull list.

Gonna try to pen them tomorrow, had family stuff all day. The calf is on the bottle, never had one take it so good. The cow hasn't done this before, but if she don't shape up quick, she's growing wheels.

Not familiar with Rompum, but I believe Ace is the horse traders dream, if I remember correctly.

True Grit Farms said:
W.B. said:
kenny thomas said:

Learned that trick at the American Fork ranch in MT. Nobody around here has ever heard of using that procedure.
Learned that the hard way, calving clubby bred heifers. Thank goodness I got the wife talked out of that! All but done with them things!

In effect you are grafting a calf on your cow albeit her own calf. The hardests grafts I have done are where the calf was born alive and lived for a few days or more. The easiest grafts are where calf was born dead. In this case you don't have a dead calf to skin. Good luck, if you are patient you might win this battle. Good luck also.

W.B. said:
In effect you are grafting a calf on your cow albeit her own calf. The hardests grafts I have done are where the calf was born alive and lived for a few days or more. The easiest grafts are where calf was born dead. In this case you don't have a dead calf to skin. Good luck, if you are patient you might win this battle.