One of those days.

Help Support CattleToday:

If I have to pull a calf the cow takes a ride.
That's certainly one way to do it.
I've found that generally speaking if a heifer doesn't calve unassisted, that it's not an indication that she will have trouble again unless there's an obvious reason with her that would make her subject to difficult births.
I did cull one a few years ago a purchased Santa Gertrudis that was a big heifer but unusually small in terms of having a calf. One of the hardest pulls I've ever dealt with and did not want to chance that again.
Out of 50 or so head we average pulling 1 or two a year usually a heifer, or a cow with an abnormal presentation ie breech birth, foot turned back etc.
Some years we get by without a pull and then others like the year we had a heifer bull that wasn't might have to pull 4-5 but that is rare.
I do not however retain any heifers from cows that had difficulty calving as a heifer and certainly would not keep a bull from one that had had issues at any point.

You're right, it's much easier to already have them in the barn. If I think some are close, and the weather looks to be bad then I try to get them in beforehand. This one fooled me I didn't think she was quite ready, been thinking that another one was going to be first and that she didn't look quite ready either.
It's kind of a balance for me, it seems like if they stay up too long it doesn't work out as quite as well sometimes. If everything goes as it should calving and weather is good I'd rather them be outside, but definitely there are times when it's better to have them up.
B told me yesterday that a couple weeks ago his son told him to be sure and check that red heifer. He said since then 35 heifers have calved but that "red heifer" has yet to do it. Some will sneak up on you. Others will make you wait forever.

Been a long time since I saw a hay rack like that. (well, not that long as I had one for awhile)

Lee VanRoss said:

A cow, maybe.
But haul a HEIFER because it needed an assist? There would have to be other issues too.

I had a 2 yr old b&w BM heifer, pulled a 99# dead calf from her but she went on the be about the best momma I ever had for several years. floodwater got her in '17. Looked hard but never found her carcass.

Been a long time since I saw a hay rack like that. (well, not that long as I had one for awhile)

Lee VanRoss said:

A cow, maybe.
But haul a HEIFER because it needed an assist? There would have to be other issues too.

I had a 2 yr old b&w BM heifer, pulled a 99# dead calf from her but she went on the be about the best momma I ever had for several years. floodwater got her in '17. Looked hard but never found her carcass.
I will stand by my statement. Any cow that does not wean a calf for any reason is gone. To stay in the breeding herd a cow must have
a calf in the first cycle of the calving period for 6 generations or be from a line that does. I will repeat from previous entries I may keep
a cow that calves in the second cycle but if she does I will never keep another heifer from her and she will be replaced if a more qualified
cow comes on line. I agree with Kit, "Love your wife, forgive your children, do neither with a cow,"

Funny you mentioned if wife had been more aggressive in the s x s, at one point, I was standing on the pond bank trying to get my breath and watched her take off down hill to try head the heifer off from going to the back again, I was hoping she didn't try much more aggressive maneuvering on that hill.

On a side note maybe the reason we had such a time with that cow is that she has some Angus in her🤔😂. Actually, though some of our most aggravating cows to deal with have been a few of the pure Herefords.
I think that is when a lot of accidents happen on quad bikes, the adrenalin rush to head off cattle impairs our judgement a bit and speed and unseen obstacles can cause a tragedy.

Ken

I think that is when a lot of accidents happen on quad bikes, the adrenalin rush to head off cattle impairs our judgement a bit and speed and unseen obstacles can cause a tragedy.

Ken
I got T-boned by a 600# heifer trying to cut her off on the quad and went flying. Knee has never been the same.

Latest posts