Look who who who's picture I got

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I just happened to have my camera handy... we've been here 20 years and have never seen one of these

Longearedowl.jpg

That is a fantastic picture. We've noticed 2 huge owls with enormous wing spans here at the farm recently...first I've seen since we moved here 7 years ago. Wish I could get a pic of them...but that's not gonna happen.

Alice

Beautiful shot! Owls are cool creatures. I just hate to see that pile of brown feathers in the road where they got hit overnight.

Yawl see the talons on that rascal?

We used to have a couple of owls nesting at our city dwellings and just about every morning they would leave us what was left over from their dinner (no, not poop) They apparently digest everything that they can and regurgetate (sp) bone, hair and skin in a nice little rolled up package.

And what is the status of this bird on your provinces endangered species list?

Owls ain't welcome around here - have certain types, they can they shut you down.

HerefordSire":1l55s14d said:
It looks like it could be sold to National Geographic magazine.

Definitely , that is a beautiful picture. We have lots of different owls here but I never seem to get a pic. We have a screech owl that hangs around the house all the time.

:shock: :shock: 30 seconds-if I do that for that long the owl blurs and starts squinting at me.It did swear at me though,said 'who who who the he!!' -what did you come up with HS?

lavacarancher":23wrl7d3 said:
Yawl see the talons on that rascal?

We used to have a couple of owls nesting at our city dwellings and just about every morning they would leave us what was left over from their dinner (no, not poop) They apparently digest everything that they can and regurgetate (sp) bone, hair and skin in a nice little rolled up package.

Yep, I see them, and I have felt them before too! We have two big barn owls here, they had a baby and it fell out out the nest, or flew out, whichever. We have cats around and I was concerned it might end up dinner for a cat. It's daylight, so I get the ladder out and pick the baby up and put it back on a branch in the tree, all the while, one of the parents was watching, and I was watching it too! So later that night I got curious if it was still on the branch and went to look. Nope, so I look around and it is on the ground under the front of my truck, so I figure no problem, the ladder is still on the tree and I can put it back on the branch. I bent over to pick it up and was instantly nailed in the back by one of the parents, claws and beak, it bought knock the wind out of me it hit me so hard, ripped my t-shirt to shreds! I understood at that moment there was no way in hell that a cat was gonna get that baby owl, and left it alone! :dunce:

Great photo, you should send it to National Geographic Comp: sure you would get a prize with that shot.
we live in Town and have an Owl in the tree at the back of the house don't know what kind, as all I do is hear the thing each night twitting and twooing.

alisonb":1493y79x said:
:shock: :shock: 30 seconds-if I do that for that long the owl blurs and starts squinting at me.It did swear at me though,said 'who who who the he!!' -what did you come up with HS?

I see wise curiosity. See it?

HerefordSire":1l76d4ay said:
I see wise curiosity. See it?
Yes,that and perhaps a bit of trepidation.
RD-Sam":1l76d4ay said:
they had a baby and it fell out out the nest, or flew out,
I have a pair of Spotted Eagle owls resident in a huge blue gum tree,they breed every year-lay 2-4 eggs. When the nest gets too small to hold all the chicks the parent shove one/two out and will continue to protect/feed on the ground- and nothing much is going to get close to the chicks.I was not aware of this and have also tried to 'save' the chick by putting it back in the nest :shock: :shock: .
Now I leave them to there own devices.They mate for life you know.

Our 'Spottie' looks very similar to this one but does not have the destinct yellow ring around the face,what type of owl do you have here?

Latest posts