Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Yea I noticed after I posted, that he didn't start the thread so I'll edit that.

And quite frankly, I don't care if he invented the wheel or not, he posted his results over a 2-3 year span and it's informative to someone like me. Something can be done a thousand times over but if someone takes the time to document it and share his results, it's far more beneficial to people who wanna learn about it than just saying "oh that's been done a thousand times!"

younggun":34x3islf said:
Well over the course of the last 2 evenings/nights I have read all 60 pages of this thread!! And I've learned a lot!! I currently have 2 heifers (1 char/Hereford cross and 1 longhorn) both were bred to a black angus and should be calving within the next 1-2 months. I'll be breeding both of these back to a charolais bull. Seeing how I only have about 30-40 acres to run cows on (see my thread in the introduction forum for the info on my setup) I'm considering buying more longhorns and doing what Big Cheese has been doing. Also, since I have a lot of recently logged woods (not part of the 30-40 acres I'd meantioned) I think longhorns would be a better fit to clean out/keep clean the woods. What say y'all.

HDRider, I'm not trying to highjack your thread in any way just seriously considering following what you're doing in the crossbreeding to get a low maintenance herd and also have something that will put a hurting on brush/saplings in the woods. And any and all profits I make will be a plus of course! Lol. Our main income is from 2 poultry layer barns but I have the land so I may as well run some cattle to bring in a little extra income.
Not a prob pard. Good luck & :welcome:

Red Bull Breeder":zu8fxn66 said:
Big Cheese didn't start this thread. He also didn't invent the wheel, but he thinks he did.

Never once said I invented the wheel Red Bull. Just sharing my observations and knowledge of what type of cattle I run. Good Luck Younggun! I've had a lot of fun raising these Longhorn and Longhorn Cross cattle and you are in for a lot of fun.

Back towards the front I posted some pictures of a few longhorn crosses. Here is the most longhorn looking one again after getting in with the neighbors "LBW" black bull(I think he is Brangus). He is a runty looking bull and it shows in the calf. Her previous calves looked longhorn in color but had much more meat on their bones. Goes to show that the outside doesn't dictate anything but hair coloring.

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

Here is the bull I just purchased to run on my cows.

wildcatkit52":2sls2l3h said:
Back towards the front I posted some pictures of a few longhorn crosses. Here is the most longhorn looking one again after getting in with the neighbors "LBW" black bull(I think he is Brangus). He is a runty looking bull and it shows in the calf. Her previous calves looked longhorn in color but had much more meat on their bones. Goes to show that the outside doesn't dictate anything but hair coloring.

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

Is that a pied bull? He'll definitely add some muscle to the calves. Prob a very good choice if you're wanting to market the beef, and I'd assume that the longhorns would offset any pied calving issues. Cool idea, hope it works out. Post some pics of his calves.

wildcatkit52":adwtxyg1 said:

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

What happened to the Romagnola bull you had?

Lazy M":c7krg68r said:
Is that a pied bull? He'll definitely add some muscle to the calves. Prob a very good choice if you're wanting to market the beef, and I'd assume that the longhorns would offset any pied calving issues. Cool idea, hope it works out. Post some pics of his calves.

Yes he is a 18 month old fullblood Piedmontese. Got him from a nice older fellow up in Illinois. His registered name is Hawk's Shawnee Bert.

Most of my cows are Pied/Salers/Longhorn crosses.

We have had our two first 3/4 Charolais 1/4 Longhorn calves over the last two weeks and they look just like a full Charolais calf. You can't tell at all that their grandma is a little small Longhorn Cow. I think we are definitely on the right track. Thought I would share since I have been talking about this for about 3 years now lol.

Big Cheese":35y741za said:
I cant remember how to post a pic but I will get it figured out to show everyone.

Just below the white "Reply" box, on the left side, there's a little blue icon and text that says "Add image to post". Click on that.

Big Cheese":2mj0flrn said:
We have had our two first 3/4 Charolais 1/4 Longhorn calves over the last two weeks and they look just like a full Charolais calf. You can't tell at all that their grandma is a little small Longhorn Cow. I think we are definitely on the right track. Thought I would share since I have been talking about this for about 3 years now lol.
This is where the money's at, due to heterosis the F1 Longhorn cross cows are nearly as efficient as pure longhorn cows while capable of producing ¾ charolais calves that will perform as good pure charolais claves.

Well, my longhorn heifer finally had her calf this morning!! A beautiful pure black heifer out of an angus bull. The one jersey calf kept hanging around the new born so I put the jersey calves in another pasture.

Calf out of a longhorn cow and a Belgian Blue bull.
received_10210413056740908_zpsj4m20voj.jpeg

Latest posts