longest time past due date

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong":3ehvk7ls said:
I have a jersey cow that is always late calving usually 3 or 4 days,, wondering what the longest you guys have had to wait, before panic time???
Around 12 days I think is the longest I can recall. Luckily it was a mature cow! B&G

Was it via natural breeding or did you use AI?
If you used AI or are 100% sure of the breeding date, you can induce birth. Even if you are early, you can usually safely induce up to 2 weeks before the due date.

You will need:
a) one dose of prostaglandin (Lutalyse or estrumate, according to the manufacturer's instruction) and
b) a dose of corticosteroids (dexamethasone 20 mg, the volume will depend on the concentration on the bottle: if it is 2mg/ml, you will need 10 cc, if it is 5mg/ml, you will need 4 cc).

Calving should happen within 48 hrs, 95% occur within 24 hrs. If you do not see anything within 24-48 hrs, you need to have a feel inside or call your vet to rule out dystocias. If you decide to have a feel inside, make sure to wash the vulva and your arm with clean water and mild soap and don't forget to remove any jewelry.

Anything 14 days before to 14 days after is all considered normal. I don;t recall exactly but it seems like 12-13 days was the longest we had to wait, that from AI.

17 days late and I never panicked... just let them get on with it.

I had a Jersey cow that calved two or three weeks early every time.

This link shows the vriation of gestation length for different breeds of cattle. 283 days has been pretty much standardized but it doesn;t fit all breeds.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/reprodu ... ?qt=cattle breed gestation table&alt=sh.
Below is the data from the link cut down to just cattle

Angus
Brahman
Brown Swiss
Charolais
Guernsey
Hereford
Holstein
Jersey
Limousin
Shorthorn
Simmental

We had a cow go 20 days over time, the cow had 7 calves before, it was from A.I.so we know it was not bred on the next period, and the calf was a bull of ordinary size.

Longest I've had on record is 302 days, that was from a second calver this spring. My herd average is 288, and typically plus/minus 5 days will get 90% of them. Older cows I find are always a little slower, and I find there is a little bit of heredity in it.. I have some lines that will always be a little early, and some that will always be a little late

Latest posts