loaning bull to neighbor?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornfarmer48

Reaction score
my neighbor asked if he could borrow my 17 month old bull. he had a case of blackleg years ago and lost a cow. my cattle are not vaccinated for blackleg. if I were to loan the bull, should I vaccinate the bull first or vaccinate all my cows and calves, or just pass on the whole thing? I would hate to get some infection carried back to my farm. thanks cornfarmer

kenny thomas":1di7l86m said:
If your neighbor had blackleg you need to vaccinate yours no matter what you decide to do about the bull.

I agree with Kenny, but would pass on the deal anyway if not for all the potential risk, it would be out of principal.

You have all kinds of wild animals going from pasture to pasture. It is beyond your control. I've never had blackleg and vaccinate for it anyway. Cheap insurance.

cornfarmer48":1jtjdmtw said:
my neighbor asked if he could borrow my 17 month old bull. he had a case of blackleg years ago and lost a cow. my cattle are not vaccinated for blackleg. if I were to loan the bull, should I vaccinate the bull first or vaccinate all my cows and calves, or just pass on the whole thing? I would hate to get some infection carried back to my farm. thanks cornfarmer

Blackleg won't be "carried" back to your farm, it lives in the soil. It is more than likely on your farm too. If your bull gets infected with blackleg, he is dead. I vaccinate everything for blackleg, doesn't cost much.

Loaned out bulls a few times and can be a great tool if your bull pen is overloaded and you want to clear some out for a period.

- Know your neighbor's vaccination protocol, and that it equals or exceeds your own
- Know the price you want and work it out with the owner before the bull leaves your place
- Find out how often he checks his herd....a dead bull would sour a good deal real fast.

In your case, I would get together with your vet, determine the appropriate vaccines for your area, and get the bull up to date on all his respiratory and reproductive shots before he goes anywhere.

Aside from the blackleg issue, which I agree you should vaccinate against as it's cheap and effective, what about other disease transmission? If you're done with the bull and don't care what he brings back, go ahead. But some venereal diseases can greatly decrease your calf crop through infertility and abortions, so think before you act. JMO

thanks to everyone for their comments. much appreciated. thinks I will pass on the deal. nedd to mine vaccinated though.

There are pros and cons to both sides. But as stated above the potential to end up with Trich alone would scare me. You made the choice I would have. Pass

I think you made the right decision. Take it from someone who made a choice with some cows and have been paying for it ever since. It's not worth it. I would definitely start vac. right away. Like others have said "cheep insurance"
Just my opinion also
Double R

Latest posts