Linebred B571 Red Angus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Julian

Reaction score
Here is our first B571 linebred Red Angus calf, born 2-25-07. 75# bull out of a first calf heifer.
Bo_3-4-07.jpg

I saw a set of B571's yesterday that had about 8 or so calves maybe. Nice calves.

Actually I may try and attend the Beckton Mushrush sale to have a look at some of the animals there.

You can tell our mutual acquaintence in Oklahoma that ol' "Black Eye" thinks you will find some good ones at the Beckton Mushrush sale. Joe and Connie are wonderful people to work with and really stand behind their cattle.
--Julian

I'm still partial to the old herfs but I would like to see those reds sell. Though I am finding of BA that actually have the muscle and phenotype I like. Are you going to be at the sale?

handydandy":n5ewoj2n said:
I'm still partial to the old herfs but I would like to see those reds sell. Though I am finding of BA that actually have the muscle and phenotype I like. Are you going to be at the sale?

I will try to be there if I can. Don't know yet how the scheduling will go for my "town job" yet. The heifer that is licking her calf in this posting thread was the high selling open heifer at the Beckton-Mushrush sale last year.

He is a double grandson of TR Julian LT142 (a direct son of B571) so he carries 25% the blood of B571.

Nice pair Dwight. You should be proud of them. Nice udder on the female, real nice heifer!

Can't say that they have learned the game of tennis yet, but if they did I am sure they would prefer a grass court.

The picture was taken at a friend's place. We only have a few to A.I. this spring so he was gracious enough for us to take in our A.I. females and heat-check/A.I. them along with his registered Gelbvieh and Balancer females. His wife also has a Scottish Highland female as a favorite of her's. The Highland cow is partially visible to the far right in the picture.

nortexsoook":1e70pbaj said:
At first brush, I have to admit that is a nice looking pair, BUT how much grain or supplement are they getting? Where is her udder? Is she milking adequetly? Do you have a better picture that would show her udder? Seems like the calf has his head in a feed bowl of some sort?

Once a week we feed the whole group a 5-quart icecream bucket of range cubes. It keeps them coming to us when we call them and it cheaper than a quarter horse. The cows have learned to stop following us around when we set the ice-cream bucket down. The calf has not caught on to this yet. He still likes to go up and sniff the pail. We do not feed any thing else to the cattle. It's their job to hustle for grass.

I am just too tight to spend unnessary money on a horse that I don't need, especially when I can use less than $1.00/week to gather cattle. I can't do the same on that tight of a budget with a horse. Plus, a sack of range cubes takes up a lot less overhead capital than horse. I like horses. I just don't like to own them.

I am sure that if the cow were fed grain that she would milk heavier, but that is an expensive way to put weight on a calf. We ran the cow and her calf across the scales today. The cow weighed right at 1,000# and the calf weighed right at 300#. That would put his adjusted weaning weight (without any age of dam factor) at 532 pounds if we weaned him today. Maybe there are not many that would be impressed with that, but we think we are on to something with our herd of 1,000 pound cows that wean off 53% of their body weight and re-breed on time. We think that any cow that calves unassisted, weans off 53% of her body weight, and gets bred back in time is doing what she is supposed to be doing.

I agree that any cow weaning 53% of her own weight is doing well, however I wouldn't call a 14 week weight a weaning weight, even if adjusted. At this time all you have learned is that the heifer is doing well for you and supplying the calf with enough good quality milk. The gain over the next 100days will tell you more about the calf's ability to gain weight and less about the dam.

What does your mature cows weigh?

Latest posts