Linebred B571 Red Angus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":m80sn0yz said:
I'll begin by saying I like your bull a lot, and his EPD's look real good for most things. The only thing I question is your classification of his being Linebred. Last time i looked a brother /sister mating was called inbred. No?

He is out of a half brother halfsister mating although the dams are also related.

This halfsib matings is the foundation cross of a linebreeding operation.

I must have misread the pedigree I apologize if that's the case. I thought it said full sister and brother.

We have collected Steadfast Boaz T71. All semen collected successfully froze. We are retaining some of this as an insurance policy and are making the rest available to others.

Boaz is a 2/25/2007 double-grandson of TR Julian LT142. Boaz calved unassisted at 75# out of a first calf heifer. His dam was the high-selling open heifer at the 2006 Mushrush-Beckton joint sale. Those that have seen her have commented favorably. This last winter we (spoiled) dry-lotted our cows with free choice high quality brome hay. In April Boaz's dam was almost embarrassingly fat at 1300 pounds and a BCS of 7. Some would refer to her as a moderate cow. She more than knows how to stay in shape when having the resources to do so.

Boaz is sired by Mushrush Rocket P016, the high gainer of his contemporary group and high seller in the 2005 Mushrush-Beckton sale. Unfortunately P016 sired only a few calves before suffering an injury. We are fortunate to have a son of P016.

A few weeks before Boaz was 1005 pounds he produced Ultra Sound data of 3.98% IMF and 11.59 REA. He combines positive carcass EPD's with numbers indicating calving ease and growth: CED of 13, a -2.4 BW EPD, and a YW EPD of 63. This comes with a ME EPD of 0.

Boaz5-22-08.jpg

Semen on Steadfast Boaz T71 will be kept at KABSU in Manhattan, Kansas, for a few more weeks then we will be moving it all home to Inman, Kansas. While it is at KABSU there will be the option of having KABSU ship it out in one of their shippers. Towards the end of this month, when we bring the remaining semen home, we will only be able to send it out if someone sends us a pre-charged shipper with a call tag. Otherwise it will have to be picked up in person. Just finding it silly to keep paying for semen storage at another location when we have plenty of storage here at home that we are already paying a nitrogen bill for. We may be contacted at (620)899-0770.

Snapped a pic of Boaz between rain showers. He has been out with 25 Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers since April 11. The breeder we have him leased to is wanting more red Balancers due to an increase in his customers demand. At an attempt to diffuse alarm, there is one Holstein steer that is also sharing the pasture with Boaz and the heifers.

We wintered our cattle on 2 year old rained on grassy alfalfa that was put up in string tied round bales and stored outside. Only 3-4# max. of 20% cubes on temps below 20 degrees. If we spoiled them or not is your decision.

The only other disclaimer is that even though I know never to take a picture of an animal when they are facing down hill I did so anyway. Call me a renegade. His feet do look better in person. Infact we are hoping he will be one to correct feet problems by adding a more strength to the heal.

DSCN3189.jpg

We started our own website recently and the results have been very rewarding. With the exception of 10 straws saved for our own use we are current sold out of semen on Boaz. We are looking forward to collecting him again this summer. For your curiosity, here is the link to our website:

https://sites.google.com/site/steadfastbeef/

I have not posted lately so I thought I would take another stab at it this morning.
--Julian

Liz snapped a few pics of Boaz yesterday. We went out to the pastures of the breeder that has him leased. Thought I would share.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Thought I would share a pic of Steadfast Boaz T71. There will be calves sired by Boaz born in 10 different herds in five different states this spring.
BoazT710361.jpg

This is a Boaz T71 sired calf that was born on August 31, 2009 in front of his dam (a direct daughter of B571) taken this morning, February 20, 2010. The calf (W92) carries 3/8 the blood of B571.
W92andDakota.jpg

Here are two pictures of Steadfast Ike U83 taken today as the snow started to fall.
Ike is 16 months old now. He is the result of mating a son of B571 to a granddaughter of B571. His mother is also the dam of our herdsire Steadfast Boaz T71.
IkeU83a.jpg

IkeU83c.jpg

Here are some pictures of Steadfast Lazarus W94. He is the product of mating his sire, Steadfast Boaz T71, back to T71's dam. He is not linebred, he is inbred.
Pictures were taken on Saturday, February 20, 2010. W94 was born on October 10, 2009. He is 4 months and 10 days old in these pictures. Our cows are wintered on 3 and 4 year old alfalfa that was originally put up wet, string tied, and was placed under a tree row outside. Not the best quality of hay to winter cattle on, but we feel it is still better quality than prairie hay and we were able to acquire the hay at a largely discounted price. Probably the cheapest way to winter our cattle that we have found yet. The cows are staying in great shape and the calves are doing well on the cows. Beef cattle are scavengers, so we started looking at what others would not want to use because it may not be the prettiest or most sought after, that our cattle could still utilize in their roll as scavengers. Sorry, I knid of got side tracked there.

Took the pictures of Laz from several different angles so as to give a truer representation of him and hot have him view in just one picture that doesn't genuinely visually describe him.

Laza.jpg

Lazb.jpg

Lazc.jpg

Lazd.jpg

nice calves you have there, have those balancers calved yet? i'd love to see what he can do on those gelbviehs.

Baldie Maker":xk644tc4 said:
nice calves you have there, have those balancers calved yet? i'd love to see what he can do on those gelbviehs.

Yes, I saw about 7 or 8 of them yesterday morning at John Oswald's just north of Hutchinson, Kansas. Both he and his cowman Ken Schmucker are rather pleased with them. There also should be some Boaz T71 sired Balancer calves in Nebraska but am waiting a return call from the person that has them. There is also a poster on this message board that used him AI on some of his whiteface commercial cows. Only negative comment he has shared with me is that he isn't getting all heifer calves as he wants them for replacements.

So far the Red Angus breeders that hav used him have reported favorably as well. Two of them have already ordered more semen for this year. I wouldn't bee too suprised to see more of my bulls siring Balancer calves for next year as well.

Thank you for your compliment.

This is a pic I took today on my new cellphone of W93. Born Sept. 1, 2009. Sired by Boaz T71 out of a Beckton Epic sired cow.
He is a frame score 4 and weighed 900# Sept. 4, 2010. Currently for sale. Although not linebred to B571 if he is not sold this fall he will be mated back to some of our cows.
You may also notice the biological fly control method we take advantage of around the pens. They really keep the manure pads tore up.
W939-6-2010.jpg

Here is a picture of his sire Steadfast Boaz T71 taken the last part of May as he was out checking the breeding pasture.
IMG_0814.jpg

Here is a recent snapshot I took of Steadfast Bailor X06. The calf is 5 months and 10 days old in the picture.
He is the product of mating Steadfast Boaz T71 back to his dam.
This is the second time we have done this and both times it has produced admirable calves.

These cattle are deliberately bred close as a part of our Steadfast B571 Strain development program to produce our "line" of parentstock.
We use the KinTraks software to calculate Inbreeding Coefficients (IBC's).
The IBC for Steadfast Bailor X06 is 43.69%, but we are adding more ancestory into our database calculations.
Currently the IBC for Steadfast Boaz T71 is 17.02%. Our goal is not to maximize IBC's, but to increase genetic contributions in future generations of cattle we find fitting our genetic goals the best.
By doing so we hope to closer replicate these type of animals. Much like the hybrid seed companies that breed comercial hybrid seed from parentlines they have developed, this is an example of the parentline we are developing.

Bailor2-15-2011.jpg

Thought I would post a couple snapshots of some of the Boaz T71 heifers we are close to weaning.

X04
X04on3-15-11.jpg

X05
X05on3-16-11.jpg

I shot a brief video of our Lana R040 cow the night before last and uploaded it to our video page on YouTube. We are offerings a flush on this female this fall. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=5f40IaB15RI
She is the dam of our senior herdsire Steadfast Boaz T71. She is shown with her first heifer calf born n August 4, 2011, after giving us 4 bulls previously.

Latest posts