Linebred B571 Red Angus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":1xv7db2z said:
I agree that any cow weaning 53% of her own weight is doing well, however I wouldn't call a 14 week weight a weaning weight, even if adjusted. At this time all you have learned is that the heifer is doing well for you and supplying the calf with enough good quality milk. The gain over the next 100days will tell you more about the calf's ability to gain weight and less about the dam.

What does your mature cows weigh?

You are right, 14 weeks is too early to tell, but it is the only gage we have at the present time. So far he is growing well. Another 100 days and we will know more. We are anticipating the cow to mature around 1150 - 1200 pounds. This is her first calf. I just moved them to summer pasture today. We'll see what happens to the cow's body condition on native grass. Last year as a yearling, she ballooned on native pasture. We are hoping that the calf will grow more on the native pastures as well.

were they still on hay up till now?

Usually the calf's weight will double between 100 days and 205 days, that's part of the reason I said not to read too much in a 14 week weight as far as WW goes.

KNERSIE":2qvfphtg said:
were they still on hay up till now?

Usually the calf's weight will double between 100 days and 205 days, that's part of the reason I said not to read too much in a 14 week weight as far as WW goes.

They were in the dry lot from mid-December until May 10. All that was provided for hay was some woody haygrazer roundbales from March 15 to May 10 and the cattle were made to clean them up. The cow lost, in my best estimate, 2 body condition scores. She went from a BCS 6 (the few days after calving on February 25) to an infuriating BCS of 4. Needless to say, we were having issues with our cowman. He turned everything else out on rye grass and kept our Red Angus in the dry lot, with the promise that he would get it right "tomorrow." We are not able to see our cattle more than weekly and everytime he was going to get it corrected the next day. I am not trying to shirk responsibility as I am the one to chose to work with this individual, but we will make more appropriate decisions with the next people that work with us.

On May 10 the cow/calf pair went to grass and all the cow has done is graze with a vengence. Makes me wonder how muchbigger the calf would be if the cows were wintered on moderate quality forage. We are not going to allow the same thing to happen this winter.

nortexsoook":1lvlr9wj said:
At first brush, I have to admit that is a nice looking pair, BUT how much grain or supplement are they getting? Where is her udder? Is she milking adequetly? Do you have a better picture that would show her udder?

I do not have a specific picture of her udder, but perhaps these two pictures can give you the perspective you need. We only own the Red Angus in the pictures. The Highland female and the black Gelbvieh cow belong to a good friend of mine. He was gracious enough to take in our spring calvers and A.I. them for us before we took them to summer grass.

Lana060207A.jpg

Lana060207B.jpg

From the looks of the calf, she's got milk. Don't let the size of her udder fool you. One of the heaviest milking cows we ever had on this place had an udder about like your heifer's when we sold her at ten years old after eight calves, yet she always had one of the heaviest calves at weaning..

Julian, I know the Red Angus is the only one that is yours, but there are some serious extremes in that pasture. A nice middle of the road sized Red Angus, a Highlander and a very large black Gelbvieh? cow. Nice udder on the RA!

Julian":1h9u20as said:
Can't say that they have learned the game of tennis yet, but if they did I am sure they would prefer a grass court.

The picture was taken at a friend's place. We only have a few to A.I. this spring so he was gracious enough for us to take in our A.I. females and heat-check/A.I. them along with his registered Gelbvieh and Balancer females. His wife also has a Scottish Highland female as a favorite of her's. The Highland cow is partially visible to the far right in the picture.

Tell John and Liz hello for me. They do have a beautiful place. I might not get back to this for a day or two out at Fort Collins

S&S Farms

Here's a pic of Steadfast Boaz T71 that Liz took earlier this evening. Tomarrow he will be 22 weeks old. No creep feed. He has learned that range cubes are tasty. We call our cows up with a couple pounds/head of range cubes weekly.
BoazT7122weeksA.jpg

Good udder, nice looking cattle [the red ones]

Your pasture looks like mine. Are those weeds their enjoying. :D

Frankie":1uhpyhle said:
He's a nice guy. Is momma bred back?

We believe so as we haven't seen her come back in heat. Pulled the clean-up bull on July 14. We will know for certain when we preg check.

Here's another pic of the calf. His dam is the light colored cow (to the left of the others) directly behind the calf.
BoazT7122weeksB.jpg

Here is a picture of Boaz I snapped this afternoon. Had freezing rain yesterday followed by snow. This afternoon it was up to 50 degrees.

Boaz weighed 1005 on February 1 and he will be a year old tomarrow, Feb 25th. His adjusted YW is 1130#. He had a cumulative ADG of 3.19# for the 105 day test. The last 21 days he was gaining at 3.86. Of the 120+ bulls on test he was one of fifty that got sick and went off feed for a while. His scrotal was 35cm.

We got him home on February 13th and he has been on grass hay and 4 pounds of 18% cubes/day. Holding his body condition well. We have received unsolicited inquiries for semen orders, but haven't got too far as for having him collected yet. Hopefully I will have a better picture of him to share in the near future.

Here is his on-line pedigree link:
http://search.redangus.org/animal/1158668

Boaz02242008-1.jpg

Great looking momma and the calf looks like he's coming along wonderfully too. You've mentioned their weights, what frame size are they? Thanks!

ArmyDoc":1cec5k7a said:
Great looking momma and the calf looks like he's coming along wonderfully too. You've mentioned their weights, what frame size are they? Thanks!
Boaz is right around a frame 5 and his momma had a yearling frame of 5.5. If cattle are thick enough they don't have to be a frame 6 to have good growth (ADG or YW.)

Julian":hja5lkgy said:
ArmyDoc":hja5lkgy said:
Boaz is right around a frame 5 and his momma had a yearling frame of 5.5. If cattle are thick enough they don't have to be a frame 6 to have good growth (ADG or YW.)

I agree with that statement.

I know the original post was a while back, but I too liked the look of the herf in the background. Looked like it had some capacity and thickness itself.

I do think you've got some nice Red Angus cattle. I like the size and weight. I also use a few cubes as a management tool. They even make loading into a trailer easier. I have had some that would load open field if there was a bucket in the trailer!

Thought I would post a few recent picutres of Boaz and some of our cattle. "Bo" is the only bull in the group. These couple pics were taken two days ago.
18040019.jpg

18040018.jpg

Bo's dam is the cow on the far right. Her paternal half-sister is the female in the front with the fresh freeze brand.
CowsonTuxedoRanch5-22-08.jpg

Here is another pic of some of our cattle as we called them into the trap to move to another pasture.
18040064_0001.jpg

Very, very nice. I like the uniformity of the cows. Would like to see Boaz from a few more angles.

I'll begin by saying I like your bull a lot, and his EPD's look real good for most things. The only thing I question is your classification of his being Linebred. Last time i looked a brother /sister mating was called inbred. No?