Limousins suck!

Help Support CattleToday:

Limousin DON'T Suck

As in all breeds there are sorry ones, and you get just what t=you pay for

Yep Limi's have a high Libido, if there is a slacker bull out there, a Limousin Bull will jump the fence and breed a cow in heat and jump back over to get home. They earn the rep for horny little buggers

Every time I have made a comment on order buyers someone defends them, well it still stands to reason that they are not too darn well educated, and they are the same old farts. I don't depend on them for the sales of my commercial quality cull cattle, I market them privately for beef or commercial females. If you do your homework there are lots of folks out there who pay a premium over market to get quality beef that yeilds a good product. Feed yards know darn well who will yeild and grade, they just choose to cheat you out of them when they get the chance, we all have a choice who we sell our cattle too, if I have to give them away, I'll give them to someone I like.

No Change in the industry will occure till carcasses sell based on yeild and grade and premiums are paid for just that yeild and grade, and discounts applied to carcasses that don't grade a minamum of high select and and yeild 1 or 2

i have a small herd of numerous breeds of cattle some registered some grade. only one is a registered limousine fullblood and she is the only one that i can walk up to in the pasture and handle. all breeds have been bred by people who hide defects rather than exercising responsable culling and that is why all breeds have undesirable lines of stock. you did the right thing unloading those that you had the misfortune of owning.

All of the Limo steers that we have put on our place as stockers (that is not a lot) were a bit nutty and high strung. Our neighbor had a limo bull that was about 2600 Lbs and was a gentle beast with lots of muscle. Got to meet the bull up close when my brother dropped off a limo heifer with a touch of Brahman in her. She could jump like a gazelle, run like a horse, change direction like a rabbit, and swim better than any cow should. The neighbor managed to get her to follow the rest of his herd into his coral six times before he manage to rope her before she jumped the pen yet again. He had the rope tied to the back of his truck with a quick release clip (not quick enough when you're dodging hooves and horns). Once he got her roped he wished he hadn't. She had us all over the place (mostly on our backsides) trying to get her loose from the truck.

Well that is the extent of my experience with limos. If they were all like that bull they would be great. I'm not ready to risk getting another of those heifers just yet.

There are LOTS of "guests" in this post.
Anyway, Limi's are NOT all wild. we have some limi cows bred to a SALERS bull, and the had the tamest, and BIGGEST calves at weaning.
Thats my 2 bits.
Remember, Dont use the colour of the hide. Use the BEEF!!

Tod Dague":204xhmxs said:
All of the Limo steers that we have put on our place as stockers (that is not a lot) were a bit nutty and high strung. Our neighbor had a limo bull that was about 2600 Lbs and was a gentle beast with lots of muscle. Got to meet the bull up close when my brother dropped off a limo heifer with a touch of Brahman in her. She could jump like a gazelle, run like a horse, change direction like a rabbit, and swim better than any cow should. The neighbor managed to get her to follow the rest of his herd into his coral six times before he manage to rope her before she jumped the pen yet again. He had the rope tied to the back of his truck with a quick release clip (not quick enough when you're dodging hooves and horns). Once he got her roped he wished he hadn't. She had us all over the place (mostly on our backsides) trying to get her loose from the truck.

Well that is the extent of my experience with limos. If they were all like that bull they would be great. I'm not ready to risk getting another of those heifers just yet.

Sorry left out the part where se went through my new 6 strand barbed wire fence with a strand of high tensile charged at 8000 volts to my neighbors place. This is how my neighbor got involved.

Tod Dague":148pzxio said:
Tod Dague":148pzxio said:

Sorry left out the part where se went through my new 6 strand barbed wire fence with a strand of high tensile charged at 8000 volts to my neighbors place. This is how my neighbor got involved.

Tod I think I know what ya'lls problem was just needed a good stock dog, cow pen made from drill stem and a trailer bound for the nearest auction.

Campground Cattle":2xg5ze4o said:
Tod Dague":2xg5ze4o said:
Tod Dague":2xg5ze4o said:

Tod I think I know what ya'lls problem was just needed a good stock dog, cow pen made from drill stem and a trailer bound for the nearest auction.

I was thinking of modifying Running Arrow Bills method of castration and give her a bypass surgery. Thank God she is long gone now.

I sent a 1400 lb limo bull to a beef sale last year and my trucker was receiving offers from buyers before the bull was unloaded. I recieved .90 a pound for a bull. There are donkeys in all breeds. You have to use what works for you. What works for some doesnt work for others. There are alot of opinionated idiots on this site (BP) and more importantly many people who have their select breeds but still appreciate others who work with cattle.

Had an old Limi cow once. Threw the darn finest calves and milked em good. She was alright when you had a sack of feed but when you tried to do roundup or penned her, she went slap mad cow on you. She started limping one day and I didn't need any additional excuses to make wheels grow.

JR":2zfsriql said:
This is a warning to anyone who has ever or who will ever consider owning cattle of the Limousin breed. I have recently sold the very last Limousin cow and bull I will ever own. They will never work for any commercial cattleman, EVER! The cows are coarse unfeminine, hard keeping, bad tempered and poor milking. The bulls are bad structured, bad tempered (CRAZY as HELL) and hard keeping as well. The resulting calves are slow growing unless you can creep feed the hell out of them and they will always be smaller than a calf of a different breed which is the same age because a Limousin cow will not milk. No matter what you cross them with the bad traits are passed on as well. This is just a warning to anyone who does not want to waste time money and hard work on a breed of cattle that can't survive. I got screwed and I wanted to help others to not have the same fate. The Limousin slogan " Get more muscle for less" is a buch of be nice, you will pay for that muscle, and pay dearly at that. I have switched back to Simmental and Charolais bulls on my crossbred cows and I have started using Braunvieh and Gelbvieh bulls with much more success. Heed the Warning.

I dont think people on here really believe everything you are sayin about the limi breed. If they were as bad as you say , they wouldnt be any left . I find it hard to think you are doing anything more than trying to hurt the reputation of the breed , based on your own opinion .I dont know anybody that has had cattle that hasnt had some just like you described in every breed that they ever had. , be it angus, charlois or any other breed. , It aint specific to any one breed. My neighboor was nearly killed just last week by an angus bull. So there . It is our responsibility as breeders to cull the bad ones in a group and try to replace them with better ones .it takes descipline to do that but it is a must . All breeds have some of every kind with in the breed. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "you got screwed" sounds like you bought somebodys culls .

Latest posts